I need some Advice

lrichmond

I own a peek a poo..and i am having trouble on getting her to eat.. she is very picky on what kind of food she eat.. I have been buying wet dog food and mixing with dry food and she will eat it but not as much as i would think she would.. She otherwise is a very active dog and she isnt sick.. And im just wondering is there any dog food anyone could suggest me to try... just now i try to give her some wet food with dry and she nibbled a little and then she stop eating it but then she kept growling at the cats like she was still wanting it..so i end up feeding her a little bit by hand and she was eating ok.. but i kept trying to get her to eat out of her bowl and she just backed up from the bowl like she didnt want it.. What should i do?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My pap is a very picky eater. When I first got her, I did the entire mixing wet with dry food thing and it got old and expensive pretty fast.

Dogs will not starve themselves. You want to find a food of course that they like, but sometimes when they get used to the wet food or a lot of people food, they'll be stubborn and 'wait it out' for something better.

I don't know what foods you've tried so far, but all my toy dogs love Innova EVO Red Meat. They make a small bites version that is a good size for the little guys. What I'd recommend is going to the feed store and seeing if they can give you a few samples of kibbles to try. They won't do this at grocery stores, but all the local farm supply/feed stores here carry higher quality dog food and will give you plenty of sample bags if you ask.

pacopoe

Also, if you're free feeding her, stop and give her regular meal times. At meal time, only give her about 5 minutes to eat. This will change her mental association with food and make her realize it is a limited resource.

Dogs who are picky eaters can get sickened when food is on front of them all the time (imaging yourself looking at your plate at the end of Thanksgiving... the food doesn't look so good anymore :p). If you make it so the food only appears a few times a day she'll be much more inclined to gobble up whatever you put in front of her!;)

Staff online

Members online