Standard Poodle?????????

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
anyone have them i want to get one can anyone tell me about them ?

I have the joy of sharing my home with 2 of these fantastic furpals. Farley will be 6 yo in April & Chloe will be 4 yo next month. Standards are a water retriever and are extremely smart and a pleasure to train. Farley is my goofball & Chloe is my gentle princess. Their favorite activities are playing fetch, chasing the squirrels out of the yard, swimming and playing with my 2 grandsons.

I keep both of mine in a short clip which is much easier to maintain. I take them to the groomer about every 8 wks. And they are great for people who have allergies - they do not shed.

My 2 have been in obed. school since they were pups & they both love it. Farley has earned his CGC & CD as well as passed the TDI test for therapy dog certification. Chloe will be starting to be in obed. shows in the spring on her way to earning her CD and Farley will be working towards his CDX. Farley has had some preliminary agility training and loves it - I'm just not sure I can keep up with him in that! :rolleyes:

Advance warning tho - they are like potato chips - once you have one you'll want another one! Let me know if you have any specific questions I can possibly answer for you. :)

PS - I'm also in NY - just outside of Albany.

bogolove

They are gorgeous dogs. Have you always had Standard Poodles or are these two beauties your first ones?

Thanks for the compliment. :)

These are my first and I am so taken with the breed I will never be without at least one sharing my home. :) Over the years I had always had rescues - mostly mixed breeds altho I did have 2 purebred Great Danes from rescues. The last furpal I had before I got Farley was a Samoyed/Collie. Rufus was a wonderful companion. After losing him at 10 yo to cancer I wanted another furpal but preferably one who didn't have the amount of shedding that Rufus had. It was also important that I have a dog that was great with children as I had a very young grandbaby. After doing alot of research I decided a standard poodle was the breed for me. It took quite a while for me to find a pup but once I did I was totally hooked on the breed. After a 1 1/2 yrs I just had to get a 2nd one and that was when Chloe joined the household.

Farley & Chloe have changed many people's outlook on poodles and they now realize they are "regular" dogs.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
thanks you for replying ive looked at lots of breeds and im stuck on them i wanted a bigger dog this time since i have a yorkie and a silky but i also wanted something that not gonna kill me with my allergies thats why i have the dogs i have i also love the part of training ive been training my 7 month old silky but hes more my mothers dog i love big dogs do they like to hang out on the couch with you too ? or sleep in bed with you cause thats what our dogs do ? oh how do you train a dog you lay down ive been having problems with my silky with that my yorkie taught himself so i never had to show him kayko my silky knows everything but that any advice? oh do you know who big poodles are when there able to go to the new home ? whats there weight ? thanks

Farley is definitely my big cuddle-bug! He loves to lay on the couch with me or in the recliner or in the bed! :) Chloe is a snuggler but in a different way - she doesn't like to get on the furniture with you completely but she will put her whole front half up & snuggle in while her back feet stay firmly on the floor. She will, however, get on the bed or couch with my 2 grandsons. Poodles definitely love their humans and want to be with their family. For example right now while I'm on the computer, Farley is laying on my bed watching me & Chloe is laying right in my doorway so there is no way I can sneak out without them knowing! ;)

Farley was 8 wks old when I got him and Chloe was 10 wks old. He now weighs 64 lbs & Chloe is 48 lbs. They aren't a heavy breed but they are tall - they seem to be all legs! :)

You can try a couple of different methods to teach your silkie to down on command. One way is to have him in a sit and using a treat that he loves, hold it in front on his nose, say "down" and slowly move your hand down and out straight onto the floor and out and hopefully his nose will follow and naturally put him in a down. Another method that works well with the smaller breeds also is to give the "down" command and gently holding one hand on their butt take their 2 front legs with your other hand and move them into a down. Sounds like you are doing a great job with training! :)

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
thanks so much again do you know how much they weighted at 8 weeks thats what i need to know i dont care if they get 800 pds full grown i dont train my dogs with food but ill try what u said kayko loves food to much he goes crazy when he gets anything and cause hes still a puppy its hard to calm him down hes very smart tho so ill try it your way and ill see what happens thanks so much i think this is the breed for me brownie dont really cuddle he the type that wants to sleep by himslef i can put my head on him but then he gets up and kayko hes a nutcase - are they at all protective ?thank again:)

Wow, you're asking me to remember back quite a few years! :eek:

If my memory serves me right I think Farley was about 10 lbs at 8 wks.

I don't normally use food in training either. Sometimes tho it will help when there is a new command you're trying to teach that a furpal is quite catching on to but it is important to eventually eliminate the food once they catch on. Go ahead & try the 2nd method 1st and see if that work. If that doesn't do it, you can then try the treat lure.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
thanks it not that kayko isnt catching on its thats the one command i dont know how to do like i said before brownie taught himself that one lol thanks ill try whatever :) wow 10 pds uthink there any smaller my guys where 2 and 3 pds when i got them have a good day

They would definitely be bigger at 8 wks than your yorkie or silkie were at that age. There are mini or toy poodles that would be much smaller. The smaller versions are just as loving & trainable as the standards. But I have always been drawn to the larger breeds myself so standards were my choice. :)

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
OH where did you get your 2 im not sure where to get them where i got my 2 they only specialize in small breeds

Well when I got Farley it was the 1st time I was looking for a breeder & he came to me thru a mini breeder. Now that I know what I have learned since, I think (but not 100% sure) that he came initially thru a puppy mill. :eek: I was extremely lucky and ended up with a healthy (except for some minor allegeries) and great tempered furpal. When I got Chloe I finally found a breeder who only raised standards. They were born & raised in her home and she averaged one litter every 2-3 yrs. I was able to meet both of Chloe's parents. I had to go thru quite a process to be approved to buy one of her pups but Chloe was well worth it. Unfortunately due losing her husband as well as breaking her back (literally) she is no longer breeding. So when the day comes that I am looking for another poodle pup I'll have to do some searching myself.

This is what I found at the AKC site.

Parent Club: Poodle Club of America, Inc.
Breeder Referral: Richard Lehman; CST Tue, Thurs, Fri evenings only (956) 447-1939
Breeder Directory: website

Although just because they may recommend a breeder you can't assume that they are reputable. You need to ask your own questions and what I did when I got Chloe was get references from her breeder for people who had purchased her pups in the past & I actually called them.

Good luck in your search for your standard poodle. Let me know how it goes. :)

Members online

No members online now.