Does size count?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I hadn't really thought about that extremity, Paige, but I can pick Kharma up - whether she wants me to or not, lol. And when she doesn't want to be lifted, she either goes to extreme squirm or completely limp

But, with a large, injured dog, you're going to be moving it onto a coat or blanket or something that you can either pull or get someone else to help you carry that way.
I never reallt thought about what I'd do if a dog got hurt... If it was Sasha, there's no way I could pick her up. She's 130lbs, and I'm 140, but still... Zoey I could. Bella, maybe. Depending on the situation at hand. If one of us was going to get hurt, then, yes, I could pick her up (I can pick her up, just for fun.)... But If it was her dead weight, and I had the option to get help carrying her, I would...

Hmm, good thing I want a Border Collie, I can carry one of those.

Buster, 30lbs, has pulled me off my feet before (160lbs). He was attached to a climbing harness as we were trying to skijor, and when I stopped to talk to someone he saw a dog comming and flattened me.

T

tessa_s212

I'm 5'1 and 110 lbs. And yet, I'm still probably the person that can handle even most of the largest and strongest pullers at the humane society despite my size.

Size might count a little, but not too much.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Oh yeah, there are comments... when I walk the two dobermans - 29" and 27", with a combined weight of nearly 150lbs (I'm 5'4" and about 130lbs but I "carry my weight well" so many people think I weigh less).

Then the REAL comments come, when SO is with me... with his 12" corgi. She's a stark contrast to his 6'5" frame!

mrose_s

BusterLove
We do get some funny looks when walking Sophie, she's always been fine to walk. So even at age 9-10 people would wonder how a little girl barely 5 foot tall could "control" this 40kg ball of muscle (she was pretty heavy duty when she was younger)
but she's always just had the best personality and so well behaved.

YES! I'm only 5'4" and when I was in Chicago I'd usually take the 3 big dogs together who'scombined weight outweighed me easily (OC's 60Lbs, Marina was about 85Lbs and Tank is about 75 Lbs = 220 Lbs!!!) Yet I never had a problem with them, they each knew their place to walk and never misbehaved. One time a couple of "thug looking" guys were walking past us on a trail and one commented to me "Man, you must be one tough b*tch to be handling those 3 huge dogs like that!" I just smiled at him and kept walking. I was so proud of those three dogs and their good behaviour during our walks!

But even when I'm walking just my boys who only weigh 110Lbs together I sometimes get funny looks or comments of surprise about how well I have them in check. I wonder what they would think if they saw me out on the sled with 6+ dogs???

noludoru

Bored Now.
Oh yeah, there are comments... when I walk the two dobermans - 29" and 27", with a combined weight of nearly 150lbs (I'm 5'4" and about 130lbs but I "carry my weight well" so many people think I weigh less).

Then the REAL comments come, when SO is with me... with his 12" corgi. She's a stark contrast to his 6'5" frame!
OMG we need a picture of that.

Ummm.. as for me? No. I get comments about my size often, but Middie's just a medium-size dog. (It's when I mention MY weight that people get going with the comments.. "OMG! I am so sorry for you!" and "how do you deal with that?" and otherwise pitiful looks. Tall people are SUPPOSED to weigh more than short people! Durr! When I say I weigh 145lbs you should NOT be telling me how sorry you are..)

You should've heard the comments I got while out with my crew.

Here's a picture of me with some of the Bridge Babies. This is when I was much thinner, but even now, I get the same "Who's walking who" comments...

I always took at least two danes at a time with me. When my largest male was still alive, I usually took him, one of the harles and the fawn with me...

As you can see, the dogs were very well behaved, and calm, so I never had issues with walking multiple large dogs at once.

As far as lifting an injured giant breed, you'd be suprised. When Hootch died, I managed to pull his 195 body quite a ways out of sheer adrenaline.

Luckily when Hannah bloated, she was able to walk to the van, and Jeff and I had to carry her into the E-clinic.

I have had a few comments made regarding myself and Wally and how "I thought the dog and owner were supposed to look alike."

Wally's an in shape Greyhound. I'm a fatty. Most comments have been made by family.

I used to walk Kharma AND Shiva together . . . . Now that got some comments, lol, from a distance :D

Even when I walk Bimmer with Kharma there are some, but I don't do it that often - just often enough that it reminds him that he doesn't like to walk with her. She won't stop and let him **** on everything.

Paige

Let it be

My dogs combined weight isn't all that much. 87 pounds and I'm the same height (an inch shorter) and weight as you. People are always shocked when I tell them that I'm 130-135.

Members online

No members online now.