American Eskimo

B

BlackDog

Anyone have an american eskimo? I have only known one so far. A friend of my family's owned a american eskimo and a schipperke. All the other american eskimos I've seen, only in pet shops :):cries::), were much larger than the one my family's friends owned.

Their eskie was named Anna. She was aggressive to almost everyone accept her owners. Than the wife got pregnant and they had to sell her for fear that the baby would be biten. She was not reliable around other people. After a week of being around her, and her owners making her feel comfortable around me I could walk her, pick her up, hold her, or do anything else with her that she wouldn't let anyone else but her owners do. She must have sensed I have a good heart. Dogs always know. It made me sad that they had to sell her, but they really couldn't keep her with a baby. The baby would have got biten for sure. She is the jealous type. Anna was bought buy a man with no other dogs, or kids. It was just him and his wife. He seemed like an understanding person, as the dog even bit him the day he came to take her. He didn't seem to mind. Anna was around 6 pounds.

Do you have any eskie stories?

My aunt and uncle had an eskie named brandy. She wasn't very fond of little kids. She also had really bad separation anxiety. Whenever she had to be boarded she wouldn't eat and she would cry until my aunt and uncle picked her up. Luckily when she got older she really liked the vets office they went to so they boarded her there if they ever needed to and she was fine. She was a beautiful dog but also a very nervous dog.

Brattina88

I know several. My grandmother had one that they had to pts a couple years ago. A very good dog! She was very well mannered, smart, and stuck around the yard and never ran off, even if they forgot that she was outside! All of them that I know have the tendicy to get overweight if not managed. The ones I know are very good with kids, and other dogs, one of them doesn't like cats very much though. I've heard they are runners, and I know one that will run away if given any chance. The others stay in their yard, however.
I think they're beautiful dogs ;)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
My grandma had a couple while I was growing up. The first one, Betsy, was the coolest dog ever. I've got a picture of me holding her somewhere. She barked to let us know when anyone drove into the drive way and would always come back to the house to sleep at night. My grandma had a 40 acre farm that Betsy would spend all day exploring.

She (and i hear this is fairly typical) got pretty grumpy when she got old though.

I'd love to have one someday, but it's almost impossible to find a Standard anymore. Everyone has minis and toys. :(

Members online

No members online now.