Agility training

krissy

Oh yeah, that sucks when it's stress as opposed to just overstimulation/excitement. She's done fun runs before though (I don't creep people's blogs or anything). Was this just a new location or a bigger event that she was more stressed?

ha ha, you just want to be in good company. I'll post videos from her upcoming FEO/fun runs. First real trial though won't be until about August I don't think. Just as many fun runs and FEOs as I can do to get her used to all the hustle and bustle because otherwise I KNOW she'll blow me off to be stressy! There isn't even a question. :rofl1:

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Oh she stress ran at fun runs as well.. I just didn't put those posts In the blog ahahah she eventually adjusts but with three runs (1 Fri evening and the other 2 Sat AM) I think she was beyond being able to adjust this time. You can see it majorly in the last clip. Sniffing/ not breaking a stay are two huge clues that she is going to zoom away.

Part of it was my fault. I was stressed about her running away which made her stressed. I am getting better and next trial I'll know everyone so that should make a huge difference as well! Next trial is also in a barn so very familiar to her. Hopefully.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Anybody here ever done a seminar/clinic with Stuart Mah? What'd you think? You can PM me if you want.

SaraB

Anybody here ever done a seminar/clinic with Stuart Mah? What'd you think? You can PM me if you want.
Do it. Well worth the money. We had him out a few times to my training school in Minnesota. Actually he's there this week and I'm super jealous of everyone that's there!

k9krazee

Ugh. Bad trial day.

Our first run was really good (before the rain started, we were just one point short of a Q.) and he ran fast and was happy.

But it had all of Crossbone's fears---
1) New place with new footing (turf)
2) Loud rain
3) Scary man yelled at him at the end of his 2nd run (he ran just out of the ring and I was calling him back)
4) The loud heater started blowing right before our 3rd run and he was so freaked out he ran all the way back to his crate..

So, needless to say, we left early :(

Silly dog and his silly fears!!!!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Ugh. Bad trial day.

Our first run was really good (before the rain started, we were just one point short of a Q.) and he ran fast and was happy.

But it had all of Crossbone's fears---
1) New place with new footing (turf)
2) Loud rain
3) Scary man yelled at him at the end of his 2nd run (he ran just out of the ring and I was calling him back)
4) The loud heater started blowing right before our 3rd run and he was so freaked out he ran all the way back to his crate..

So, needless to say, we left early :(

Silly dog and his silly fears!!!!
Awww! I'm sure you'll get it figured out!!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Do it. Well worth the money. We had him out a few times to my training school in Minnesota. Actually he's there this week and I'm super jealous of everyone that's there!
I've e-mailed to see if there are any spots left... he's got an open level seminar in June I'd like to take Payton to. I'm not sure if I can do it though, because they say your dog has to have at least one Q in that level... and unless I'm forgetting some miracle that happened when I wasn't paying attention, he hasn't gotten any Open Qs yet. Ugh.

BostonBanker

I mailed in my entry for the first outdoor trial of the year today. The snowbanks on my street are still taller than I am. Spring really is going to come...right?

I've been all stressy since the last trial. It's the downside of doing so few trials, one bad one and I angst about it for a month or more until the next. And our next trial is that outdoor one. He's only done a few outdoor trials - we shall see, I guess!

We have a seminar next weekend that I'm super excited for. The instructor always leaves me feeling incredibly motivated and upbeat, so I'm hoping that breaks the cycle of "ugh, I failed this dog" that my mind has been stuck with.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Really frustrating fun runs with Payton today... it's so weird how I have the two extremes. Auggie was slow-pokey need for speed and Payton is super high need ALL THE CONTROL.

Georgie, meanwhile, is a very good girly, got all her contacts today, and if I can get her weaves more consistent and she can do a better job of keeping with me instead of going on any more exploratory wild runs around the ring, I think she'll be a very nice, easy, consistent Qer. Watch me put a MACH on Georgie long before Payton even approaches one.

Auggie had a real blast just running for fun and it's the best thing in the world to run Auggie.

BostonBanker

Auggie had a real blast just running for fun and it's the best thing in the world to run Auggie.
:) "Old" dogs are so grand. I refer to running Meg as "putting on my favorite sweatshirt". I work Gusto and get worried about doing this wrong or that wrong, or what is he doing, or this isn't what I pictured. And then I run Meg and it is all "Oh well, we never learned handling and you are always naughty about your contact criteria and it just makes me laugh" and everything is comfortable and happy and she gets cookies and hugs.

If I could find a way to replicate the attitude I have about running Meg and maintain it while I run Gusto, I bet 90% of our issues would go away.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, Auggie gets away with murder and I still walk out of the ring telling him he's perfect and the best dog in the world, hahaha. Missed your contact? Oh welly-well!

It's the curse of expectations I think. Payton has expectations. Georgie really doesn't, I have fun with her and when she does well I'm thrilled. I always see so much good in Georgie's runs. And Auggie of course, I no longer care if he does or doesn't Q, I'm just glad to have one more run with him. But poor Payton suffers from real expectations. If I just went back to "at least take SOME of the jumps I tell you, do your weaves, and don't pee on anything," I'd probably be a lot happier. ;P

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Don't judge us lol!!!! This was a bad day, but the only day I had a photographer :D and not our usual trainer!! And I was hungover.... And I was nearly 30 mins late for the class lol I just smiled seeing it as I never realised how happy Fred looked during all my flailing!!!

I'm pleased to say we can do better than this usually!!

http://youtu.be/KAtUm52srUg

krissy

I waited ALL week for Sunday and Monday. My agility days. What an agonizing 6 days. Can't wait for the snow in my ackyard to melt so we can do some basics every day.

I love when Kili is the best dog in her class. I mean, it is absolutely insignificant because there are only 3 dogs total in the class and one is a very timid poodle who usually never breaks a trot. There's an Aussie the same age as Kili and they trade "best in class" back and forth depending on who decided to show up with a brain. Well, the Aussie really left his brain at home today and Kili was on her game so she was the best dog in class this week. Anyway, regardless of how meaningless it is, it still makes me happy when the little sighthound schools everyone else. Lol. We just don't talk about the days when she forgets her brain.

Tomorrow we're headed to drop in for a few hours. So much fun. I can't wait!

iriskai

Anyway, regardless of how meaningless it is, it still makes me happy when the little sighthound schools everyone else. Lol. We just don't talk about the days when she forgets her brain.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this! :) Mimi's in a class full of GSDs, a Pembroke and a Lab (and the instructor's BC, which she brings sometimes). It's always nice when a non-traditional breed gets the extra credit! Glad your class went well, I love seeing Kili videos!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Awww Dizzy he looks like he's having so much fun!!

LOL krissy - my old class was Kimma and like 4 BCs. She was actually faster than some of them which I found interesting.

We finally just had a happy trial. No stressing (except Kimma decided that the chute was scary and a no-go in Standard but recovered VERY quickly), she was fast enough without completely losing her brain, and she seemed to enjoy herself. I hope they are all like this from now on. She's the best dog <3

CaliTerp07

Yesterday we were driving up to Baltimore to visit Zach's grandparents with the baby, and there was an agility trial accepting day of entries that was only a slight detour out of the way.

We showed up, and I entered Lucy in jumpers and weavers. Jumpers was soooooo fun. I put her in a start line stay, turned my back, and she was on jump three by the time I realized what was happening. It was like, 'YAY, MOM IS PLAYING WITH ME AGAIN, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND!" I ran with it, and we nailed the course with almost 5 YPS speed! It felt SO good to be out running again!

Weavers was a bit of a reminder to me to stop fixing things...nailed the first set of 12 weaves, but had a tricky entry into the set of 6, and I made her redo them which totally killed her motivation. We bailed after that and I just sent her in a tunnel and we ran out happy.

Next Saturday I'm leaving baby with Daddy and Lucy and I are doing a full day (7 classes!) at my favorite venue of all time. I'm excited!

SpringerLover

Yesterday we were driving up to Baltimore to visit Zach's grandparents with the baby, and there was an agility trial accepting day of entries that was only a slight detour out of the way.

We showed up, and I entered Lucy in jumpers and weavers. Jumpers was soooooo fun. I put her in a start line stay, turned my back, and she was on jump three by the time I realized what was happening. It was like, 'YAY, MOM IS PLAYING WITH ME AGAIN, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME BEHIND!" I ran with it, and we nailed the course with almost 5 YPS speed! It felt SO good to be out running again!

Weavers was a bit of a reminder to me to stop fixing things...nailed the first set of 12 weaves, but had a tricky entry into the set of 6, and I made her redo them which totally killed her motivation. We bailed after that and I just sent her in a tunnel and we ran out happy.

Next Saturday I'm leaving baby with Daddy and Lucy and I are doing a full day (7 classes!) at my favorite venue of all time. I'm excited!
Awww! Yay Lucy! :) Can't wait for video! :)

Elrohwen

We made jumps this weekend! So excited to get up some temporary fencing and really try them out. My first goal is to work through Suzanne Clothier's grid program, then try some other programs agility folks have recommended. Watson really enjoys grid work where he can focus through to the end, but is intimidated by finding a distance on a single jump. I think he's trying to focus on me and the jump at the same time and worries about the distance, then ends up right on top of it and pops over. Hopefully starting with a grid will be confidence boosting and teach him how to adjust his stride. He actually has a pretty jumping style when he's not worrying, so I think that's a good place to start.

Jump cups are on order (I wasn't sure if we would make them or buy them) so this is just the jump standards with the 5" high structural cross bar. I want to see if I can use these indoors as cavaletti too.

Last edited:

Elrohwen

Fred looks like he's having so much fun!! What a pretty area too - I can't wait until our grass is that green again.

Congrats to Lucy and Kimma and Kili too!

Members online