Animal Abuse?

RD

Are you dead yet?
The only thing I saw him do that I wouldn't do to my own dog was the way he seemed to throw a legit punch at the dog's face. That was messed up.

Blowing air in its face? "Kicking" it which really just looked like he was putting his leg on the dog's back? Playing tug? Not really torment.

The dog looked like it went after him because it was guarding whatever they had been playing tug with. Not because it was so abused and afraid.

Guy's a dick, but I've seen Cesar Milan do worse on TV and be praised for it.

It's funny, because that ending happen to me exactly at work a couple weeks ago. I was playing tug with an 80 lbs dog that I should have thought better of playing tug with before finding out his thresholds. He got WAY too over stimulated and ended up dropping the tug and biting down onto my shirt. He nicked my belly a little, mowed me into the wall, and kept tugging on my shirt. When I got him to release he stepped back, tail wagging, and picked the tug back up.

S

SevenSins

If that's "tormenting," and worth a 5 year ban from owning pets, plus psychiatric treatment...then I should be sitting in a padded cell right now and for the rest of my life, never to own pets again, because comparatively, I beat the everliving shart out of mine. Daily.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Abuse? No. People on that news page are getting their panties in a wad over "cruelty" that isn't apparent to me. Though IMO there was something "off" and I think there was a bit of tension and some misunderstanding of canine body language.
I played really rough with my Rotties and from a semi-aerial video it would not not look good.
I think the guy used some poor judgment, but from that clip doesn't seem to be abusing the dog at all.

SarahHound

Not abuse, but definitely teasing in some parts I think. The dog was wagging its tail, it didn't look too unhappy, but I think the guy took thing a bit too far towards the end, looked like the dog had had enough and wanted him to stop.

I certainly wouldn't go as far as abuse and banning him from owning dogs.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
The punching in the face is the only thing I wouldn't have done with my own dogs. I've seen other people do it in play before, and honestly, I don't like it. HOWEVER, the only reason I wouldn't do that with my dogs is because if someone ever hauls back to punch them, I don't want them to have a play reaction to it. I want them to have a real "WTF are you doing?!" reaction to it. *I* will never punch them, but if some idiot thinks he can come into my house and punch Simi in the face, he's got something coming, and quite frankly, he deserves it.

The "kicking" was nothing. I do worse in play with Crash on a daily basis. I will be tugging with Crash and "Kick" him and put my foot under his belly and pick him up a little. He loves it.

I smack my dogs around in play, though. I'll admit to it. I know that from far, people think I'm probably beating them a lot harder than I am, but I will give Simi or Crash a solid smack on the side when tugging/playing rough.

Honestly, that dog looked like what it would look like if someone else tried to play with Crash like I do. Even now with Crash, if I get "scared" of him while we're rough housing, he'll follow me if I run away/back and jump on me. Much like that dog was doing, but Crash knows that at any time I'll say enough and that's it, and so he doesn't ever give it that much oomph.

Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't even call most of that teasing.. I'd do that with my dogs and they'd love it. All but the punch. But that's just personal preference, I guess. I do know a guy locally who will punch his dogs in play like that, and it's all fun and games to the dogs. They love it.

HOWEVER, if that isn't his dog (and it isn't, right?) I don't think he should have been doing any of that... but I pray to god people never get video of me playing with my dogs!

adojrts

What I didn't like, was it said the vid was edited. So what is missing? (if anything). Guy is young and being stupid, it's ok to play with your own dog that way, not someone elses. And certainly not a dog that is chained and probably a guard dog for that business, not smart. I also don't think it was intended to be abusive from what was shown, just poor judgement. The punch? I would hope that he has a dog at home that plays that way and therefore it's acceptable. The kick? Agreed, seen CM do much worse.
I had a woman tell me, that she was going to call the cops.........because I was playing tug and slapping my dog in public. She thought I was abusing my dog, instead of getting offended I explained what I was doing and why. Also showed her that my dog wasn't afraid of me and it was training using rough play. Thankfully she didn't call :)

SaraB

Guy's a dick, but I've seen Cesar Milan do worse on TV and be praised for it.
This!! He was playing with his dog... a bit rougher than I would've, but whatever, the dog was having fun. The dog had every choice to move away from his "tormenter" but obviously kept coming back for more.

i might as well turn myself in.

I can't say the play seemed to be the best in the world. Blowing air in the face is kind of dumb, but then I let my dogs get the water out of a hose on occassion just because I think it's kind of funny. But am being kind of dumb too.

This is what scares me about today's society. EVERYBODY thinks they know what's best for everyone else. Animal abuse???? What the **** ever. Nothing in that video remotely comes close to animal abuse. the comments by most of those people are made by idiots that think they know too much. I bet the have Sarah McLachlan commercial playing on looped DVR 24 hours a day. What garbage.

The worded description and what actually was occuring could hardly be further apart. I take very journalistic piece of garbage I read or see these days and usually laugh and then wonder how these people have jobs and what is the real story.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Looks like playing to me. The guy looks like he doesn't know all the best ways to play with a dog, but its not abuse. That part at the end looks like overexcited mouthing, not attacking. I've had dogs actually CHEWING on my arm in over-excitement before.

There's a dog at FOHA who likes to play in the hose, I wonder if the people commenting on this video would consider it abuse that I spray the hose at her sometimes? She always lets me know when she's done playing by trotting just out of the hose's range.

RD

Are you dead yet?
The dog doesn't go after the guy until it looks like the guy leaned over him and put his arms around the dog's middle.

Soooo abused...

crysania

I was all ready to jump on this alleged animal abuser. And then I saw someone playing with their dog a lot like *I* play with my dog. I push at her with my feet, shove her around, put my hand over her muzzle and shake her, try to pry her mouth open and steal the toy from her. It's how I've built tug drive and it's an AWESOME game for Dahlia. She loves it.

The dog seemed to LOVE the air and was jumping up at it to bite at it. The dog was rough-housing with him and tug is NOT abusive. The only time the dog looked slightly uncomfortable was when he hit at his face (he did the "shake off") but then was back into tugging. The end looked like a guy who was overwhelmed by the dog's tug drive and a dog who was really HOT and wanted that tug like there was no tomorrow.

And then the guy JOGGED away. Sad that they're calling THAT animal abuse. How long until I get arrested for abusing my dog? I play my tug game on walks with other people around all the time. I hope no one videotapes ME and reports me for a game.

Red.Apricot

The video of this, had there been one, would have looked a lot more violent than the one linked, but Elsie was having more fun and was a lot less afraid than she was in the photo below;

where I asked her to sit near a (10 foot) cliff. (I didn't force her, but I could tell she was a little hesitant to get that close. When I released her, she did a hilarious dance of SURVIVAL!)

And does this,

mean I'm running a dog fighting operation?

Zhucca

Lab Love
i think he was being too rough, but it was almost like watching how I play with my dogs.

I don't blow compressed air at them, but I squirt them with a hose. I don't punch them, but I do grab at their skin and 'rough up' their fur. People are too sensitive. The guy was definitely being a dick (looked like the punch connected) but animal abuse? C'mon!

If that's "tormenting," and worth a 5 year ban from owning pets, plus psychiatric treatment...then I should be sitting in a padded cell right now and for the rest of my life, never to own pets again, because comparatively, I beat the everliving shart out of mine. Daily.
basically this.

Michiyo-Fir

It looks like the dog thinks they're playing...and I think he was only jumping at the man because the man had a white thing in his hand that he held quite high up that the dog wanted??

crysania

It looks like the dog thinks they're playing...and I think he was only jumping at the man because the man had a white thing in his hand that he held quite high up that the dog wanted??
I can tell you that when my dog is in real tug drive mode and I hold the toy up, she leaps for it.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I play with Knox way rougher than that. Way rougher. And he loves it. I wouldn't play with a strange dog that way, because I don't want to get bitten by a dog I don't know. And Knox has nailed me a few times for pushing him over his frustration threshold. :p

So, I don't think that's abuse.

Gypsydals

Is there room in that cell for me too? I(and only I) play that rough with Ivan at times. I've used my leg to push Ivan away, I've shoved him and the spotted bugger keeps coming back for more.

Teal

...ice road...

You and me both! I seriously hope no one ever films me playing with my dogs :yikes:

At no point in that video is that dog uncomfortable, abused, OR aggressive. It looks an excited, under-trained young dog paired with an excited, uneducated young guy... A couple of young, dumb boys roughhousing is all I see here.

Members online

No members online now.