How Do I Chose a Vet?

leaughxp

What should I look for in a vet? When I got Gunner from the rescue, I had to pick of a list of vets where I was going to take him to get neutered. I chose the hospital because it is open from 6am-2am and there is around 10 doctors so if he ever had an emergency, good chance they'd be open and they'd already have all his records. I didn't feel comfortable taking him to the vet my other dog went to because even though it's not their fault he died, I still think they should have been able to tell something was wrong when we brought him and he wasn't eating a week prior to him getting really sick.

But I'm not so sure I like the new vet place either. The first visit we got this younger guy who seemed to have recently graduated he kept making comments about all my questions I asked (it had been like 10 years since I had a puppy and I was asking his opinion on insurance and how often to bathe him, etc. cause I wanted to take care of him the right way). He said it was good I was asking questions but he thought it was funny that I had so many. When he took Gunner to the back to trim his nails, I realized that I didn't remeber him listening to his heart at all but I was so foscused on remembering what questions to ask I figured I just must not have noticed because everyone knows you listen to their heart. After they brought Gunner back out so we could leave the vet guy comes back and wants to listen to his heart again (saya he listened in the back but wants to make sure). Well the second time we get a girl who is young also but seems to at least know what she's doing. Third time we get the first guy again, well I'm not sure if he just doesn't know what he's doing or he gets real nervous or both. This time he's in there asking me (or thinking outloud?) what else he needs to go over. I'm thinking hey buddy you're the vet you tell me! Also this was the visit when Gunner decided to do his submissive peeing all over; he was fine in the room until the vet came in so I'm thinking maybe he makes him uncomfortable (he still wets in front of other people but nothing like the amount that day!). I also had to hold Gunner for him while he was vaccinated and wormed; didn't really think this was right as I was never allowed to hold my other dog, a tech always did it.

So I was thinking of either always requesting a certain vet (or requesting not to see that specific vet) at the hospital or finding somewhere else to go. There are many places much closer to my house (current vet 20 min away) but they don't have the longer hours. Also thinking closer might just be better anyway because in an emergency it might take too long to get to current vet. Longer hours are nice though if I have classes or work.

Any suggestions on staying or finding new vet? If I look for a new vet what should I look for or ask? Is it best just to go for a check up and see if both me and Gunner are comfortable with the vet?

avenlee

It seems you already have your own instincts or feelings towards certain vets. I think that's all you can go on?? Have to base it on who you feel comfortable with. Just like a Pediatrician for a child.

leaughxp

Maybe we'll try the other girl next time and see how it goes. I forgot the other reason I chose that vet clinic was that they have experience with chinchillas which I also have two and it's hard to find a chin vet. I had another chin vet too but then SHE brought up neutering him and wouldn't let it go. I only had one chin at the time and no females in the future so no reason to neuter plus chins don't do well with anesthesia and there are numerous stories of procedures gone wrong. So I wasn't going to go to the vet that was encoraraging unnecessary surgery so she can make some money. On chinchilla sites, I've seen people who have a really big long lost of things to ask kind of like an interview to chose a vet. Well I think it's kind of overboard but maybe that's really what other people do? I didn't know if others do this for the more common pets such as dogs and cats or maybe just for the less popular or exotic pets.

I tend to shy away from those big clinics. One good way is to talk to people you know who have healthy, well cared for pets and ask them who they use.

Almost all veterinary clinics - even the small, one-vet operations, have a cooperative agreement with other clinics and take turns being on call 24 hours for emergencies, so you really don't need to choose your vet based on hours anymore.

I'm not surprised you aren't comfortable with the one you used - I'd have been ready to bolt as soon as a vet had a problem with me asking questions! Just follow your instincts, and watch how Gunner reacts to the vet and the staff, too.

You can still take your chinchillas there if you can't find a vet you like for your dog that is knowledgeable about the chinchillas.

Members online

No members online now.