Running to others when being naughty!

So big Chance over here, is doing great! I love him so much and he makes me want to get another dog so he can have a play mate, to run and run with. :D Not that I'm seriously considering but I do think about it here and there.

He goes to the door, when he wants to go out he usually grabs a bone or a toy when he needs to chew, but he has taken to a stuffed spider man that is my 2 year old sons. When ever he gets a hold of it he goes super crazy on it like I have to destroy you before they take you away. Then when we say leave it, he stops chewing on it and kinda groans. Like "Awe man, you guys blow, I never get to do anything fun." Just like a kid.

The other day we were at my mom's house. We go over there at least once a week, she has no fence and usually I just go out with Chance for him to potty. Well, yesterday he kept wandering over into the neighbors yard. I've always been able to persuade him to come to me, ie. come with a big juicy treat. He didn't respond he kept wandering farther and farther away.

Then my neighbor came outside, he went on a dead bolt for her, jumped right up into her lamp and kissed and kissed her face. :rolleyes:

What is up with that? :confused: I was so embarrassed! She is a dog lover so it was all good, but I felt like maybe my dog secretly hates me. Like when we tell him to leave the kitty alone, and he looks at me like, he is secretly plotting my death.

Herschel

So big Chance over here, is doing great! I love him so much and he makes me want to get another dog so he can have a play mate, to run and run with. :D Not that I'm seriously considering but I do think about it here and there.

He goes to the door, when he wants to go out he usually grabs a bone or a toy when he needs to chew, but he has taken to a stuffed spider man that is my 2 year old sons. When ever he gets a hold of it he goes super crazy on it like I have to destroy you before they take you away. Then when we say leave it, he stops chewing on it and kinda groans. Like "Awe man, you guys blow, I never get to do anything fun." Just like a kid.

The other day we were at my mom's house. We go over there at least once a week, she has no fence and usually I just go out with Chance for him to potty. Well, yesterday he kept wandering over into the neighbors yard. I've always been able to persuade him to come to me, ie. come with a big juicy treat. He didn't respond he kept wandering farther and farther away.

Then my neighbor came outside, he went on a dead bolt for her, jumped right up into her lamp and kissed and kissed her face. :rolleyes:

What is up with that? :confused: I was so embarrassed! She is a dog lover so it was all good, but I felt like maybe my dog secretly hates me. Like when we tell him to leave the kitty alone, and he looks at me like, he is secretly plotting my death.
1) Use a leash. Your dog is too young to have a proper recall so if you don't want him to run, use a leash.

2) When you tell him to drop, do you trade him? Give him a biscuit or something as soon as he drops. He needs to learn that fun isn't going to end because he drops the toy. Make it a good experience for him. Drop should be a good thing, not something that frustrates him.

Yep, use a leash as much as possible. You can start training a reliable recall in the future. There's a thread about it somewhere in the training section. You can also get the booklet or DVD titled "Really Reliable Recall". For the grabbing of the Spiderman stuffie, you can teach "Drop It" or "Trade" (useful for other things too).

angelzeus

not coming when called

your dog should be put on a leash at all times if can't be trusted and you need to do some training if not sure how seek help from a trainer or ask your vet for some advise if you keep letting him off leash and he does not come when called you are putting your dog in a dangours postion

Yeah, I know he should be on a leash at all times. I was just hoping that since he is so young that he would start staying close to me all the time.

I am slowly realizing that Chance knows what is acceptable and not when he is around my family, but when new people are around he will test the boundaries jump up on them for attention, mouth their arms. I tell them not to pet my dog unless he has all four of his paws on the ground and to stand up and not let him mouth them. I just thought that since he knows not to try with us he wouldn't try with anyone else. But I am all over him when he does try. And their are some people that have no respect for your dog rules you know what I mean. Like oh were dog people it's I don't mind the nipping a puppy needs to chew..... Um yeah look he has more bones and toys out than we can keep track of not to mention the stock hold of news ones we have put up so he doesn't get bored. He doesn't need to chew on people.

Members online

No members online now.