My whelping pen/cage

Y

yuckaduck

Gallien Jacks said:
sorry not quite sure what you mean about the 1/2
I think she means to measure the height of the box divide by 2 and add that much more height to the box.

if it is any higher jess wont be able to get out, do you mean measure jess when lying down and it should be twice the hight of her

M

Manchesters

Yes!!!

Gallien Jacks said:
if it is any higher jess wont be able to get out, do you mean measure jess when lying down and it should be twice the hight of her
When Jess is laying on her side, the pups will climb up onto her and if the box is not deep enough they will tumble out. And the rails should be high enough that a pup can fit underneath them. Cannot tell from the pics.

It is, as I said, truly amazing how newborn puppies can get all over the place with little effort!! And check their toenails.....they may need cutting. I always kept babies nails cut so they would not make hamburger out of their mommas.

bubbatd

I know you know about the nails, and I'm sure you know about the whelping area.... I think both Manchester and I wish we were there !!! I know I miss it !!! It is hard to understand from your picture, I see the whelping area and the cage.... and don't forget, I base it on a golden .....MUCH bigger pups !!!

moe

When we built our welping box as it need to be fairly high at the sides so that the pups couldnt climb out or fall over the top of mum, I was concerned that mum would not be able to get out of the box herself to go to the toilet etc, so we inserted a fold down gate into one corner of the box, this could be lowered for mum to get out and then put back into place after she had returned. the rails need to be high enough for pups to crawl under comfortably but not high enough for the mum to lean back and get under it herself, the rails are so that the pup, should it get trapped by the mum could wriggle free and under the rails to safety.

Mo

Thanks all, and yep i know all about nails etc I have whelped litters before and raised them. The rails are high enough for the pups to fit under as this is what they are for, when the pups are mobile the cage will be changed so the whelping box will be removed, I put it in because i didnt want the pups to get too far from mum while they need warmth, and the cage is huge it usually has two jacks and a boxer in it and they still have room for their food and water bowls

bubbatd

I never kept food and water in my boxes...... I kept it so the Mom could come and go at will and raised the entrance as the pups got older. When old enough for food or water, they had their "play" area with papers to practice their pees etc on. Of course, Mom got her water in the pen when needed at the beginning. I was able to be with her/them practically all day, so they were a happy bunch !

moe

Sounds like you have it covered the only thing I would suggest, is when you take the actual welping box out, I would somehow put some boards areound the sides at the bottom of the cage, to prevent the pups getting their legs caught in the wide openings near the base of the crate.

read this:- http://www.kennelsafety.com/

I know this is about a praticular crate, but it does make you think.

Mo

moe said:
Sounds like you have it covered the only thing I would suggest, is when you take the actual welping box out, I would somehow put some boards areound the sides at the bottom of the cage, to prevent the pups getting their legs caught in the wide openings near the base of the crate.

read this:- http://www.kennelsafety.com/

I know this is about a praticular crate, but it does make you think.

Mo
yep I will be putting the same plastic that I made the whelping box out of around the whole of the cage, and thats a sad story poor pup

bubbatd said:
I never kept food and water in my boxes...... I kept it so the Mom could come and go at will and raised the entrance as the pups got older. When old enough for food or water, they had their "play" area with papers to practice their pees etc on. Of course, Mom got her water in the pen when needed at the beginning. I was able to be with her/them practically all day, so they were a happy bunch !
Are you refering to the fact that i keep the food/water in with my adults?

Where would be a good place to put a whelping box? should i put it in my room since its really the only quite place in my house, and my yuki usually sleeps under my bed.
Yuki isnt preg but i just wondering incase i decide to breed her in a few years.

showpug

Where would be a good place to put a whelping box? should i put it in my room since its really the only quite place in my house, and my yuki usually sleeps under my bed.
Yuki isnt preg but i just wondering incase i decide to breed her in a few years.
The best place for a whelping box is in a warm, quiet place in your home where your dog feels comfortable. It is important that it is not near any drafts or cold areas.

As far as breeding your dog, please, please do your research on this very important and serious decision. You could lose your dog in the process and it should not be taken lightly.

Maxy24

As far as breeding your dog, please, please do your research on this very important and serious decision. You could lose your dog in the process and it should not be taken lightly.
Agreed, also is your dog a purebred? If so what breed is she. Some dogs have a very hard time giving birth and are almost guaranteed to need a c-section.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Agreed, also is your dog a purebred? If so what breed is she. Some dogs have a very hard time giving birth and are almost guaranteed to need a c-section.
In her profile it says Yuki is a shi tzu mix.

I would read some of the stickies here in the breeding ground about responsible breeding and everything it takes/costs/risks to breed a litter. :)

Maxy24

In her profile it says Yuki is a shi tzu mix.
sorry, i should have looked! Please don't breed a mixed breed dog, or a pure without health screenings, temperament tests and some championships in the show ring, It would not be fair to the responsible breeders who are trying to do everything to make their breed the best it can be :) . Nor would it be fair to your dog to have to have babies (youch!) for no real good reason.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Since you also own a mother and daughter eskie accordign to your profile.. does that mean you already have bred your dogs in past?

bubbatd

Folks .... this was posted 08/95 !!!! Things change in almost 2 years !!

Members online

No members online now.