Minimalist shoes/VFF alternatives

Saeleofu

I LOVE my VFFs to bits. They're the only shoe I wear anymore, other than occasional flipflops or boots (for riding). BUT...I'm really, REALLy irritated that they don't last long. I have had my current pair o Treks for just over 2 months, and the treat is almost completely worn off (I need to get a picture later). I thought going for Treks would make the sole last longer, but no. My KSOs at least lasted a year before they were worn through. At this point, it's really unacceptable. It has still been under 90 days, and the rubber is starting to separate from the fabric, so I'm going to try to get them replaced under warranty. The warranty does NOT include excessive wear, though, so the sole is NOT under warranty, I'm hoping they just decide to replace them because of the adhesive issue. I love the shoes, but they're expensive, and they really ought to last more than 2 months.

Also, it's not going to be warm forever, and I don't think I'll want to rake poop in freezing temperature in VFFs. So, what do you recommend as an alternative? It doesn't have to be a toe shoee, obviously, just a minimalist/barefoot design and COMFORTABLE.

GO! :popcorn:

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I have a pair of NB Minimus that I adore. They are the closest thing I've found to my VFF's. You might also look into Merrells.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I'd like to also say the NB minimus, I have a pair I really like and although they don't last THAT LONG, 2 months is beyond ridiculous. My pair fell apart after a year

Also, nike is coming out with new frees. Not sure how great they are (only seen them in store) but they are supposed to also be pretty minimal. Knowing nike, they will be beautiful and glorious to wear..and i'll have to sell a kidney to buy one

Edit: they are called the NIKE FREE FLYKNIT

I have the regular frees and they are great :D you can even personalize them! but the flyknit looks droolworthy.. and much more minimal.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I only use Nike Frees ..and they only run about $124+tx a pair. I don't find that excessive at all and they last forever compared to what you seem to be getting out of VFF. I run in them until I hit about 500 miles then I switch out to a new pair BUT I keep my old pairs for random things (running agility, hiking, walking) ..I have a 2yr old pair that are still pretty awesome and get used all the time along with a 1yr old pair& my newest runners.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Check out Stem footwear. I've been meaning to get a pair of Stems, since I have heard rave reviews on them.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I just got new Merrell Pace-somethings and I really like them. You could also check out the birthdayshoes blog for other ideas. :)

Saeleofu

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I have NB Minimus and Merrell Pace Gloves that I wear any time I'm not wearing flip flops. I think I may prefer the Dash Glove to the Pace Glove, but the latter is still super comfy.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I wear Brooks PureFlow - my old pair are now my agility and gym shoe - but they are definitely not something I would wear to shovel poop and muck zoo pens in the freezing cold. If I run through a puddle, my foot gets wet. It's just the nature of them being breathable. I think most minimal shoes are going to be like that. And that means if you're shoveling around poop your foot is going to get poop-water-y.

However if you're dead set on it, I've heard GoreTex socks are quite good for keeping your foot warm even when wet.

I also have Merrell Pace Gloves that I absolutely love. I have ran in them quite a bit, and also wear them for walking/hiking/agility. They have held up surprisingly well.

FG167

You could also check out the birthdayshoes blog for other ideas. :)
I adore that site!

I have VFF that I love for running agility, but I didn't like how nasty they were to wear in the winter wetness. I adore my Altras and my Vivobarefoot trail runners are some of my favorite shoes ever. I prefer a really wide toe box and no arch support/snugness so the Merrell and NB shoes have not fit me well thus far.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I work with horses so I live in boots, other then that it is flip flops or sandals of some kind (unless its reeeeeaaaally cold) & I don't see myself using anything else, but I am curious about these shoes.

Do they make socks that are made to go with them? How does it feel to wear them? Like ... On rough terrain? I have ankle problems, would these shoes cause me pain?

FG167

Links people! Sigh... Does a girl have to google everything herself??
I adore my VFF Bikilas for agility. But they are rank and I can't get them to not smell so I'm not going to wear them into my gym

I have Vivobarefoot Neo trail runners that are what I wear anytime I'm outside and the grass isn't tall enough for MuckBoots. Which makes them my trial/training shoe. Plus, I have never slipped in them.

My Altra Intuitions are what I bought for running on pavement in the wet/cold winter. I am going to be trying them at CrossFit tomorrow. They're SUPER comfortable. I have discovered that I do the best with zero drop shoes, regardless of how much/little padding overall, and with a wider toe box.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
OMG those Altra shoes are super cute...

These are my PureFlows that I run in:

The colour is called Diva Pink. OMG.

These are my original PureFlows, they are my agility/gym shoes now:

I really really want to work down to the NB Minimus but I love the PureFlows so much it might be hard to switch... except... shoes...

Saeleofu

I think most minimal shoes are going to be like that. And that means if you're shoveling around poop your foot is going to get poop-water-y.
Yeah, I was thinking about this as I was looking through the options. I don't mind poopmudwater in the summer, but I don't think it'll be enjoyable in the fall. So, I'm leaning towards those boots I linked to earlier. They're more expensive (I can get VFFs in sale for around $30 if I look hard enough), but they might just be worth it.

Awesome news - I contacted 6pm.com (the place I bought this pair of VFFs from) and asked if I needed to send the shoes back to them or back to the manufacturer, since they're still under Vibram's 90-day warranty. They said forget it, keep the shoes, here's your money back :eek: WOO HOO! So, yeah, buy from 6pm.com because they're awesome!

I still need to get pictures to show you all, though. They look pretty bad.

Members online

No members online now.