Word usage - Pet peeves

nancy2394

when I first moved to georgia, I noticed a lot of different things people say. Here's a few that come to mind:

I reckon
yonder
I'm fixin' to
I don't care to

I remember being at work one night and saying "anyone want to run this blood to the lab for me?" and one of my coworkers said "I don't care to" I just looked at her and said "okay" and started to walk away. It was then that I realized that the phrase meant that she didn't mind doing it for me...lol I don't understand that one.

Doberluv

I use recokon and I'm not even from the south. LOL. And fixin'....just because I like it. That is a weird one...the "I don't care to" when she meant she did care to. Are you sure you heard her right? That doesn't make sense.:D

Snark

Mutts to you
"I can borrow you a dollar" instead of 'I can lend you a dollar', is a fairly common phrase around here; and the ever-popular, 'Where you at?' drives me up the wall, especially when I hear customer service folks asking that on the phone.

Doberluv

"I can borrow you a dollar" instead of 'I can lend you a dollar', is a fairly common phrase around here; and the ever-popular, 'Where you at?' drives me up the wall, especially when I hear customer service folks asking that on the phone.
That drives me nuts too...both of those. There's a difference between atrocious grammar and colloquialisms. I hope I spelled those right. My spelling is pretty rotten. And I have no idea is spell check is working or not. :rofl1:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Every time I see Grammy's post my heart scrunches up. Whoever brought this up, you brought tears to my eyes. I am glad to see her, but it hurts all the same. I guess the postive is it is here her words live on, not just in our memories.

Doberluv

Every time I see Grammy's post my heart scrunches up. Whoever brought this up, you brought tears to my eyes. I am glad to see her, but it hurts all the same. I guess the postive is it is here her words live on, not just in our memories.
Yes, this is so true.

Grammy was the first to welcome me here at Chaz. Every time I see one of the older threads bumped, and I see her name, it's like time has stood still and she's still here with us. I think it's her way of staying in our hearts and minds.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Grammy was the first to welcome me here at Chaz. Every time I see one of the older threads bumped, and I see her name, it's like time has stood still and she's still here with us. I think it's her way of staying in our hearts and minds.
I completely agree.
I miss Grammy a lot <3

Airn

Eh. I'm from the South and I hate people that talk like we go to school in a one-room school-house. You know, the one by the cotton field? Living in the south isn't an excuse to talk like you're uneducated. It gives the rest of the people a bad rep. I don't know of many Northern phrases that make the people using them sound like a 4th grade drop-out.

My area should not be famous for a phrase like "Git r dun".

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Eh. I'm from the South and I hate people that talk like we go to school in a one-room school-house. You know, the one by the cotton field? Living in the south isn't an excuse to talk like you're uneducated. It gives the rest of the people a bad rep. I don't know of many Northern phrases that make the people using them sound like a 4th grade drop-out.

My area should not be famous for a phrase like "Git r dun".
Ugh I HATE git-r-done, I was referring more to like slang phrases like "ain't", ya'll, & the general accent ... I don't have an accent in fact ppl always think I'm from California lol :)

Members online