Fans of crates

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Figured I'd start the spin off of the crate fans thread just for the heck of it.:rofl1:

Soooo pics/info on your favorite crates?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
My newest fav style is the Kong Double Door crate with garage door style doors:

My go to wire crate is the Midwest LifeStages Double Door crate (like the iCrate version but heavier wire):

I wish they still made the Varikennels with the dials in larger sizes. They were my fav plastic crates.

elegy

overdogged
I like the Midwest double-door or iCrates (either is fine). I also LOVE Steve's Noz2Noz soft-sided crate that is his travel crate.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
My favorite crate is the plastic petmate crate. I do not however like the heafty price tag for the size I need. I will eventually have to bite the bullet and buy a plastic crate for airline travel, but Im going to wait.

So far my puppy has 3 crates. Two large wire crates, and 1 medium plastic. One of the wires is Rileys old crate, and I Love it! It is really strong, secure and well made! The other is another large wire crate (one for upstairs and one for downstairs) that I got a great deal on. It is however pretty cheaply made, and Im not the biggest fan of it. I will train the puppy to respect crates, so I dont see an issue with it. However any dog that wanted to could probably escape from it.
The medium plastic is for car travel and for him at my work. He will grow out of it soon, but again I got a good deal on it and I can use it for future dogs too.

crazedACD

I'm a plain ole standard wire crate person...must be a folding crate though. I still have a crate that you put pins in, way too much trouble for me. I think the garage door style is interesting.

I used to have an Ultra-Lite pen..it worked great for Skye, who needed to be contained or she would get into stuff, but was housebroken. Enough space for her to walk around, but still be contained. I sold it once she didn't need it anymore, and have regretted that as it was a cool pen.

BostonBanker

I love Meg's Noz2Noz crate more than anything. Gusto has an iCrate, because he is Gusto and I think he'd be out of a soft crate in 0.3 seconds. I like it quite a bit for being a wire crate. I've only crushed my fingers in it a few times.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Petmate Vari Kennels for the win. Light, easily portable, no rattling when driving, good air flow. (please ignore that my dog looks stoned, lol)

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Has anyone used the Kennel-aire brand crates? It says they are airline approved, but some reviews say they are flimsy. I will eventually need a plastic crate for airline travel, and also to use at my work.

Red Chrome

I loathe wire crates. No real solid reason as to why. LOL

I use the PetMate Vari-Kennels, just the standard version.

Then for the car, I have a set of PetMate Furraris. It has bolts that go on either side of the flip latch that holds it together, so it is held together with bolts and the latch. I love this crate, even though when in high drive Judge can tear the door inwards despite the design.

I recently sold my Aluminum one as I didn't like a few things about it. I am looking at one of these to replace it and LoLa's crate in my van.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
If we're talking car transportation, I'm eyeing the Variocage:

or the Trans K9 boxes:

Both are coming to the US soon!

Grab

I don't even know the brand of the dogs' crates..how sad is that:eek: They're just basic folding wire ones I picked up at a local pet store... My dogs are pretty low key in their crates, so it's never been an issue. We just have three. Oh, and Newt uses a plastic cat carrier, lol

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yea. Def saving up here...

Of course getting two SUV crates = $250 so I try to tell myself that getting the custom fit and safety details is worth it. Plus it maaaay help me get a smaller vehicle, which means a smaller car payment, which is always good. ;)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
We have a PetLodge crate

It was probably just cheap at Fleet Farm and that was the only thing we took into consideration lol. But it has double doors and folds up and came with a divider, so that's good enough. But my dogs don't eat crates or anything so I don't know how the sturdiness of it compares to other brands... I just know it works for us!

It's tucked away in storage though. Because honestly, I am NOT a fan of crates and hate having them take up space. :p

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
*want so much*

I do think I like the Variocage ones better though.

Bailey08

Variocage will hopefully be via Clean Run, though they keep pushing back the arrival date apparently.

Trans K9's first shipment to their US distributor arrives at the end of May. More info here:
http://www.transk9.com/index.php/site/news/transk9_goes_transatlantic/

Both will sell for around $900 plus shipping iirc. :p
They must not have Infinitis over there. Boo.

But probably good. We'll stick with seatbelts and B will just have to deal with little sister cooties. :)

MicksMom

Has anyone used the Kennel-aire brand crates? It says they are airline approved, but some reviews say they are flimsy. I will eventually need a plastic crate for airline travel, and also to use at my work.
All I know is about 20 years ago they had a very good reputation, and were very well made. The way things have gone, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't as well made today as they used to be.

There are different crates for different things here. My favorites of the 6 I have are:

Noz2Noz- I love how easy it is to transport and set up. The 2 doors is an added bonus.

Vari Kennel - I have one of the original models. It was given to me in 1991, when Mick was a puppy. We primarily use it for traveling in the Escape.

Midwest Ultimate- My vet gave it to me before we brought Caleb home. I swear it's the best thing after sliced bread- 3 doors (1 side, 1 front, 1 back) and divider panel- perfect for growing puppies. I was looking forward to using it when we still had the mini van because of the side door, but it isn't tall enough for Caleb anymore.

Members online

No members online now.