Vacation Spots in the US...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Next year is our 10th wedding anniversary and we would like to go somewhere on vacation. We have gone on vacation with my parents, but DH and I have not gone anywhere "just the two of us" unless it has been tent camping. I like camping but I do want to stay under a real roof this time-lol.

We have not really decided on a budget yet, just kind of putting out feelers. Any recommendations in the US for great vacation spots?

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Reason I ask is because sometime like August-Sept in Western Washington is fan freaking Fantastic for traveling and doing stuff... rest o the year. Yeah, not so much unless you like rain or hunting.

If time of the year isn't an issue I'd marry interests to location to best time of year for that location. My Mom is doing a wine country tour later this year, my sister is taking her kids to Disneyland in late September when everyone is back in school, my older brother is heading Brazil for some Carnival.

LindaJD

I'm going golfing at Myrtle beach, S. Carolina in May for 2 weeks. It's out 25th anniversary. We were going to go to Hawaii, but decided to wait til next year and take our youngest for her high school graduation instead. I think Hawaii is the only place in the US that we haven't been.
Dh's mother is also pretty sick so we didn't want to go too far anyway.
Congratulations on your anniversary!! I'm sure you'll have fun no matter where you go. The US has so many great places.

CaliTerp07

I absolutely love the outer banks in NC, if you're looking for beaches. Sand, sun, wild horses, lighthouses, mini golf...just a fun week.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
What kind of vacation are you guys looking for? Keep in mind, I am a city person so I have no idea when it comes to small towns/outdoor adventures but here are my favorite city experiences..

BEACH WISE?

Miami is fun during december. You get the beach and the weather is nice (Warm, breezy, not too hot. perfect beach weather) Plus it's very popular in december so plenty to do and lots to see, Miami is a fun city.

SAN-DIEGO, Cali. I really enjoyed my time in Cali :) plenty to do (the san-diego wild animal park is a must see) great restaurants, lovely beaches (although the water isn't very warm! lol but they have otters)

THEME-PARKY/ACTIVITY WISE

Can't beat Orlando, FL. Universal, six flags, Disney world, Epcot, Water parks.. it's like the themepark capital of the world

Atlanta, GA. Usually this wouldn't even be on the list but the Atlanta aquairum is simply amazing. It's one of the biggest in the world, they even have a whale shark!! Check it out on youtube. amazing. amaznig.

JUST PLAIN' OL PRETTY :D

I went to DC to see the cherry blossoms and thought that was really magical.

BEST OVERALL (If you like cities)

You can't beat NYC. Especially in the fall. Central park is beautiful, weather is perfect (fall orange weather), lots of shows, lots to do.. it's new york.
I wouldn't go in the summer or deep winter though.. personally.

FUN IN A CHEESY KIND OF WAY?

Vegas. lol drinking, shows, gambling, plastic awesomely tacky fun! I went with my parents (so mind you, my experience was quite PG-13) but got to see some AMAZING shows (Cirque du soleil will blow your mind), amazing restaurants and I really did enjoy myself in all it's tackiness lol

Oh and don't forget to check http://www.tripadvisor.com/ !! You don't want to ruin your vacay with a bad hotel..

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Everyone knows where I recommend :) but beyond that....

If you like beach stuff Folley Beach in South Carolina is quite nice

Lancaster, pa (where we live) is a nice area. lots to do and it's a laid back type of vacation.

That's pretty much all I've got lol

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Beaches are cool, but not super important. We live near Lake Michigan, so beaches aren't really a novelty. I do think ocean beaches are neat though, so that would be a plus.

We really enjoy zoos and aquariums, so those would be awesome too. I traveled a lot when I was a kid, much more than DH did. We have been to Vegas a few times with my parents, so I'm thinking somewhere else. I LOVE Disney, but DH is a bit luke warm about the idea at the moment....

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Reason I ask is because sometime like August-Sept in Western Washington is fan freaking Fantastic for traveling and doing stuff... rest o the year. Yeah, not so much unless you like rain or hunting.
Washington is on our list--good to know about the weather though. My parents visited Seatle this past summer and loved it.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Chicago would be a close one though I assume you've already done Brookfield and Shedd if you guys are zoo people... St. Louis has one of the best zoos in the country IMO. Indianapolis has the only underwater dolphin dome and it's AMAZING, but the rest of the zoo is just kinda meh, especially once you've been to the STL Zoo... they have done so many updates in STL, it's just beautiful and you don't get much of that "animals behind bars" feeling anymore. They've done a NICE job.

I love St. Louis honestly, and if you go to one of the smaller cities like St. Charles, it's so quiet and quaint and there's fun stuff to do. St. Charles has a downtown right along the river and it's old antique shops and all kinds of cute, quirky, kitschy stuff like that. Lots of cool things to do down in that area.

There's plenty of places on the east coast that are really nice, Virginia through the Carolinas. If you go during the off season you can score cheap hotels right on the beach too.

Hawaii is my dream destination. => I'd go island hopping in Hawaii if money and vacation time were no concern!

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
My favorite place is Hiton Head Island, SC!!!! I have been like 8 times, and I Adore it!!! I went on several family vacations there, so the place has an emotional tug for me. Some of the best beaches, fun area, close to Savannah and Charleston for a day trip. I love it!!

We really enjoy zoos and aquariums, so those would be awesome too.
Take a look at Gatlinburg. World class aquarium and the Knoxville Zoo just 40 minutes or so away. Lots to do there, or if you'd like a laid back but urban sort of spot, look at Knoxville, in the Old City area. Check out the Oliver Hotel. http://www.theoliverhotel.com/ There are always small venue concerts and stuff going on.

Hot Springs, NC is awesome too.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Outer Banks, NC (relaxed atmosphere, can get away from tourists on Ocracoke or be near all the activities if you stay on Hatteras) or the Pacific Northwest (loved the Oregon coast, and the rainforests!) are on the top of my list. :)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Aquarium and zoos? Dc and baltimore :). Te national smithsoinian zoo in dc plus awesome museums and the aquarium in baltimore ... We usually do this at least once a year :)

Smithsonian zoo is FREE BTW

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
My vote without a doubt would be somewhere like Kalaloch, Washington in the two almost always good summer months. The area is gorgeous if you like the outdoors and want to not be in a tourist trap. Downside is that it's a hell of a drive even after a flight.

Depending on the weather that year I might head to California either northern or southern has a ton of very nice places to get away to depending on your interests.

Snark

Mutts to you
Outer Banks, NC (relaxed atmosphere, can get away from tourists on Ocracoke or be near all the activities if you stay on Hatteras) or the Pacific Northwest (loved the Oregon coast, and the rainforests!) are on the top of my list. :)
Second the Outer Banks, although we stay a bit farther south, on Bogue Island, south of Cape Lookout. Lots of stuff to see and do (or not do), and good seafood! Don't know if it matters, but the town where we stay is dog friendly and while the beach is public, there's no public parking so you only have the folks renting the houses on the beach. We walk in the early morning and rarely see another person. Dolphins go up and down the coast, too, and sometimes ride the breakers in pretty close - pretty cool to see.

Members online

No members online now.