Oh man... I want...

Romy

Taxiderpy
But what would you do with two Mias!?! :yikes:

You need to get her, so we can hear twice the stories.

ACooper

Oh my! She would fit right in your little herd for sure!

I can't believe she is less than 8 months old and has been through 3 homes already :( How sad for her. I hope whoever she goes to next will be well screened and ready to be forever!

Bailey08

She would either really help, by wearing out Mia, or make you actually crazy, lol

What a cutie!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I can't believe she is less than 8 months old and has been through 3 homes already :( How sad for her. I hope whoever she goes to next will be well screened and ready to be forever!
I know, I was sad about that too. She really doesn't sound like a hard dog either to me. She sounds like someone wanted a more of a decorative dog and didn't realize what they were getting into. Bored papillons = major trouble.

Zoom, that's the same price all the breed rescues charge for healthy young dogs.

ACooper

Zoom, that's the same price all the breed rescues charge for healthy young dogs.
I agree. Dobe rescues charge that and sometimes more!

I understand where that money goes, to help other dogs that need a safe place of course. The sad part is some people see that price and don't consider it a charitable donation (in exchange for saving/bringing home a dog) to make their rescue work possible and they figure it's less hassle and cheaper to get a pup from the paper :(

(not talking to you zoom, I'm sure you know how rescue/shelters work, LOL)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Not in my area! Back in KC, I adopted Sawyer for $175 from Aussie rescue, Virgo was $95 from an area shelter and even the "overpriced little dog rescue" tops out at $250.

Here in Denver, I've found $250-$300 for the little breeds, $250 for Colorado Aussie rescue (not affiliated with ARPH) and the main shelter, Denver Dumb Friends League ranges anywhere from $55-$300 based on the age of the pet.

I guess if you get people willing to pay $400 for a rescue dog, that's great and certainly goes towards helping keeping the rescue solvent and able to help more dogs, but sheesh! I was taken aback when ARPH raised their prices to $200! I think the higher prices end up doing more harm than good in the long run.

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
I think the higher prices end up doing more harm than good in the long run.
I agree.

Here small dogs from rescues (the only place to get small dogs from around here, none in shelters) are all between 400 and 600 dollars... besides the millions of hoops you have to jump through, under, over, and around.

Criosphynx

I wouldn't pay $400 for a dog thats been in three homes...or at all..but thats just me. Also advertising that shes been rehomed so much will turn the average person off IMO.

All that aside, she sounds like a typical young pup...where all three owners not aware that dogs chew and run around?

BostonBanker

Also advertising that shes been rehomed so much will turn the average person off IMO.
That may be exactly the point. They may want the non-average people only seeking her out.

Thankfully she's so far away. My desires for a small dog for agility have been pretty out of control lately, and she fits the needs to a T.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That may be exactly the point. They may want the non-average people only seeking her out.

Thankfully she's so far away. My desires for a small dog for agility have been pretty out of control lately, and she fits the needs to a T.
That's my thoughts too. I'd rather them be honest and find her an appropriate home than not. Some papillons are extremely high drive and would be a horrible fit for someone looking at toy dogs wanting a lapdog. Some of them absolutely need a job of some sort. My guess is that is why she was rehomed so many times. Sounds like a good dog but people just didn't know what they were getting into.

ETA: When I said 'breed rescues' I meant papillon breed rescues. I know the three major breed rescues charge that much.

But what would you do with two Mias!?! :yikes:

You need to get her, so we can hear twice the stories.
See if they can out-do each other. :rofl1:

I think the higher prices end up doing more harm than good in the long run.
Agree.
I think a lot people would end up buying a dog than adopting with that price.
And then it's more rescued needed.

ACooper

Agree.
I think a lot people would end up buying a dog than adopting with that price.
And then it's more rescued needed.
I guess it just depends on the person and their way of thinking I guess. Yes, you can go to Craig's list, or the news paper.........maybe even a good breeder if you can find one, and probably even get the dog cheaper in most cases......

But

For many people, it's a charitable donation to continue helping OTHER dogs of a certain breed (for breed specific rescues) and saving ONE yourself :) Some people have time to donate physically, some have money and/or resources. If you are a person who looks at it that way, it's well worth the price :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Man, if I had tried to charge $400 for Virgo, I'd still have her. :rofl1: As it was, there was no adoption fee involved with her, I felt that ILoveMyLab was a good enough fit that I waived it and knew that she was going to need all the extra money to repair what Virgo was likely to damage during her adjusting phase.

I sure could have used an adoption fee to help recoup MY costs though. :p

CaliTerp07

If rescues didn't charge the amounts they do, a lot of them would go bankrupt. We charge $350 for a dog, and that doesn't even cover a lot of the dogs we get in--ones with mange, parvo, broken bones, or aggression issues that need special training before we consider them adoptable.

Yup, sometimes we get the magical healthy puppy who we don't have to spend a cent on who's adopted in a week--but for every one of those, we have 5 dogs with mega vet bills to make up for it.

As it is, we don't cover our costs with adoption fees. We fundraise like crazy, have sponsors for our events, and still rely on our volunteers to give generously. If we lowered costs to a "reasonable" $100, we would no longer be able to rescue.

Members online

No members online now.