ok i screwed up royally....

jb2ksi

please help me get out of this mess :(

i have a 12 week old male siberian husky. he was my first dog. when i brought him home he was loaded with roundworms (which has since cleared up completely) but for that time i decided to go ahead and use the puppy pads b/c i didnt want the worms on the carpet.

he religiously used the puppy pads for the entire time i left them out. (about 3 weeks) and when the worms cleared up, i wanted him to start going outside. well i took one pad and secured it outside hoping he would make the corrolation that he needs to go outside.

so far he hasnt. he hasnt gone outside one time. he has taken to crate training quite easily. he sleeps most of the night and never messes his kennel. however in the morning when i wake up and take him outside he will hold his "movements" no matter how long we stay outside. as if he has been trained that messing outside is off limits. he'll hold it until we go back inside and sprint to his room and immediately let it go. (he goes in the same spot as the pads)

it is very very hard to stay outside with him much more then 20 minutes right now because it is BITTER COLD here in my area. i dont know what to do. i dont know how to untrain him what i have mistakenly trained him to do. any suggestions? ideas?

and yeah, i feed him on a schedule. when we wake up, (about 8am) again at about 2pm, and finally about 6 or 7pm. he will go anywhere from right after hes done eating to an hour and a half after hes done eating. as well as just random times throughout the day.

PLEASE HELP

He sounds like a very bright, intelligent puppy who's learned his lessons a little too well. Putting the pad outside was a good idea, even though it hasn't worked yet. Maybe if you took him - and his fresh pile - outside and put it down someplace you want him to use as his "toilet," then let him sniff it and the surrounding area. Pet him and praise him while he is paying attention to that area. After you've done that a few times, maybe he'll start getting the idea.

After you've done that for a couple of days, maybe if you used an aversion spray on the area where he's been going it would help him to unlearn his habit of going there and help make it clearer to him that you want him to go outside. You're doing the right thing not to scold him unduly for doing what you taught him to do; I know it's hard not to scold because it can be so frustrating, but it would only confuse him.

Above all, make going outside a pleasant, fun time for him. It's hard when your teeth are chattering out of your head, but at least it's not MUD! With any luck, by the time you've thawed out enough to have mud, your pup will have learned not to jump up on you! It's going to be muddy here until mid-summer, Shiva's front paws are chest-high when she stands up, and she gets excited and her brain falls out, along with all the lessons about not jumping up! Thank goodness for OxyClean! (lol)

wolfspirit

I have found that if you take the pads and move them closer and closer to the door or where ever you would like him to alert you that he needs to go, and when he gets used to that area, take away the pads. Now, it's up to you, vigilance is the key. In my training exp. a puppy out of your sight or a quiet pup, is a pup getting into trouble. Good rule to live by. So, long story short(to late) when you see him head for where the pad was, immediately take him out. When he does what he needs to do, give him praise out the yin yang.

Do this for a few days and he'll get it. I'm sure of it. Huskies are very smart dogs.

Hope this helps, always worked for me
Wolf Spirit

A puppy out of sight or a quiet puppy is a pup getting into trouble! Now that's a universal truth if I ever heard one! Even now, if Shiva's in the house and it's quiet and I can't see her, the first thing I do is call, "Get off the bed, Shiva." The next thing I hear is THUMP, and she comes around the corner with her "Who, Me?" face, followed by the Aw, Shucks tail. Every now and then she forgets to spit out whatever she was chewing on before she gets to me. I gave her a bad time one day, laughing at her. I didn't catch her on the bed, but she forgot to get one of her toys and left it right in the mathematical center of the bed.

Maybe you should move the puppy pad closer everytime he goes. I mean after he goes,take another and move it closer to the door until he goes outside.

Members online