Flyball training at home

Hi everyone,
For the most parts, my dogs have just always been pets, but now I find myself with 4 Min Pins that seem to get bored easily. We live in rural western Montana, and we're trying to figure out things to do with them. My wife has seen little bits of flyball on TV and I've caught a few bits myself. I contacted the regional rep. of the flyball organization, but that person is up in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and said we're welcome to come up to some seminars, but they know of nobody in Montana that does it. As far as training dogs for specific things, I've trained my last rottie to be a therapy dog and get approved to visit nursing homes with my ex-wife who was a nurse, which was easy, get him to sit and accept attention, which he loved anyway, so it was easy (okay, not totally easy, but a lot easier than getting a dog to do agility or anything like that.)

I love the idea of getting all these dogs to do something that we can enjoy with them, but being in such a rural area, where do we start? We like flyball because all 4 min pins have a major ball drive, you throw it, they get it, but, on the other hand, they all fight over getting it, and I believe patience is a big part of flyball. Also, we have a Rottie with the biggest ball drive of all, and I'm sure he'd love it too. All of the Min Pins have springs in their legs, so the hurdles wouldn't be a problem, and since the handicap is the smallest dog on the team, I don't think the Rottie would have a problem, unless he couldn't see the jumps and stepped on them...lol.

Anyway, some guidance would be appreciated where professional training is not an option, and where actual competition probably isn't an option either. It's more or less just a way for us to spend time with our children and give them and us something to occupy our time.

milos_mommy

i'd honestly look into agility. it's more popular than flyball, i think, more stimulating as far as training goes, and probably better for a mini pin. you can easily do it in your backyard if you have room. check out www.cleanrun.com for some books on self-training. it's easy to build your own equipment, and quite fun for both people and dogs.

adojrts

Another thing I would like to add, it is my understanding from my students and puppy owners that are very successful in flyball, is that dogs that have a high ball drive don't always make good flyball dogs. The reasons for this is that once the dog gets the ball, it is self rewarding and the dog often doesn't continue to play the flyball game or the dog is distracted by all the balls laying around etc, they can steal the other teams balls and try to hoard all the balls.
Flyball dogs are rewarded by tugging with their handlers at the end of a run and are not rewarded with balls.

Another thing I would like to add, it is my understanding from my students and puppy owners that are very successful in flyball, is that dogs that have a high ball drive don't always make good flyball dogs. The reasons for this is that once the dog gets the ball, it is self rewarding and the dog often doesn't continue to play the flyball game or the dog is distracted by all the balls laying around etc, they can steal the other teams balls and try to hoard all the balls.
Flyball dogs are rewarded by tugging with their handlers at the end of a run and are not rewarded with balls.
That's a good point, my one little girl, Maya, and my Rottie, Thor, would probably try to hoard all the balls that were laying around. The two of them constantly take turns trying to make their own pile of every ball in the house!!

Hi;
I don't know if you found this site or not, but there is a ton on info on it concerning dog activities in Montana.

At a quick glance I didn't see but any flyball but lots of other stuff.

http://montanapets.org/statewide/obedagility.html

Hope this was of some help.
Lynn
Thanks Lynn, that's a site I haven't seen before, and I thought I looked everywhere, and I see that there are a few seminars that are somewhat close to here, so my wife and I will be checking them out.

i'd honestly look into agility. it's more popular than flyball, i think, more stimulating as far as training goes, and probably better for a mini pin. you can easily do it in your backyard if you have room. check out www.cleanrun.com for some books on self-training. it's easy to build your own equipment, and quite fun for both people and dogs.
Thank you, Milo's Mommy, another site I didn't know about, but I've already found a book or two on that site that I'll be ordering.

I came across this forum as I was looking for flyball in Montana. We currently run with a team in Colorado, but there is a chance I may be getting a job in SW MT and moving up there.

Anyways, not ALL flyball dogs come back to the tug. One of my dogs comes back for treats and my other will come back for a tug, other ball or lazer pen. I have seen every single flyball reward used under the sun.. anything from a dirty slipper to a hole punch to squirrel pelts.. and yes even other balls. Whatever motivates your dog! Every dog is different, the most important thing is the handler being enthusiastic.

So don't give up on flyball just yet. :) If I do end up moving to the area I would love to get a team started. The hardest thing is teaching them to pick up a "dead" or non-moving ball. to do this. begin by just placing the ball a few inches away from them and having them get it. when they pick it up, then give them a reward (whatever u want). Gradually move the ball farther and farther away. Keep in mind flyball lanes are 51 feet long, so you at least want to be able to get a ball from that far away (and probably another 10 feet at least). If the dog has NO INTEREST in a dead ball, then cut a small slit in the ball and stuff it with really stinky treats. When the dog gets the ball, then give them a treat FROM the ball. u can gradually wean them off of that later. Hope that helps a little!

Members online

No members online now.