new dog scaring me

madeydog

Hyper Hounds
ok so we got bandit from the humane society almost three months age and seince then he has attacked three dogs the first time was my madey she is a pit we think but me and her were in the kennel playing forty leaps and she came down from a jump and he ran under her and in an instant they were tied up to me 10 min to separate them because madey was fighting him back and he bites once maybe twice but locks on won't let go for nothing, well they didn't or haven't faught sence so i am hoping they worked it out, Dog 2 we were walkin madey and bandit and a little jack came over broken lead and started barking at bandit and madey bandit fought and wiggled to get his head lose real quick and caught that little dog and bit his face same place on madey that dog screamed so bad and bandit would not let go of his bit and me and amanda my wife were on him yelling and even tring pullin him smaking him on the nose nothing the owner of the jake ran over and football punted bandit in the neck and he still did not let go I yelled and cused the guy the jack was lose and started it and he was tring to kill bandit in a head lock tring to twist his head bandit finally let lose and Dog 3 a little lab mix female we picked up to take to the park with the dogs so we were pretty sure he only disliked male dogs other than the scrap with madey and the humane society said he didn't like male dogs cause a male attacked him and that is why his ear has a snip out of it, any ways amanda brought the puppy in on her chest pups head over her shoulder like a hug sits in the car and bandit leans over and grabs the puppys ear and wont let go pups screamin amanda and me could not get him to let go and he was right in from of amandas face in front seat of my van with bandit hangin over from the back never growled barked or any thing just grabed her ear and would not let go till amanda bit him in his ear and he broke real quick we have taught him to stop play biting us by biting him on the ear when hed play bite but i am worried about him going after my baby madey again I don't want her to get hurt. :confused:

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I'm actually surprised that the Jack Russel owner hadn't pressed charges or something to put your pup down...

Its sad when a dog feels the need to be aggresive towards other dogs. Maybe.. i know its hard, but the best thing would be to give him up? Talk to the Humane Society?

How old is Bandit? Maybe you could try helping him socialize better.. gruadually getting used to many different types of dogs? maybe a puppy class or something?

wildwings811

a.k.a: agilitydobemom
Your dog Bandit sounds like a serious dangerous issue and in my opinion he should have never been adopted out

HE IS DANGEROUS

you need to go back to the humane society and let them know what is going on and either get that dog in some socialization classes or into obedience classes

If you don't have much experience with dogs he is not a dog for you and unfortunately (I hate to suggest this) he should probably be given up by you

Fran27

Ok sorry if I'm going to sound rude, but I couldn't read what you said. Try to make full sentences and use ponctuations, and paragraphs are your friend too. You'll get more help if you make yourself readable.

From what the others said your dog attacked another? Well my advice is to stop letting him around other dogs, get him a muzzle, and try to socialize him by keeping your distances with other dogs at first.

PFC1

First off, I really had a very difficult time trying to interpret your post because of the complete lack of punctuation, capitalization, grammer, diction, sentence structure, and adherance to every other rule of sentence construction that would allow others to discern your meaning. But, it seems you have a dog that is simply dog agressive.

If you are posting here for advice, you probably do not have the expertise necessary to properly handle this dog. I agree with the prior post that this dog should not have been adopted out. If you are going to keep this dog in your home, you are going to be incurring the risk that it will attack your other dog again. If you take this dog out in public, you are exposing others to the risk of harm. It is true that the Jack Russle you describe was running free, and should have been on a leash. But sometimes, dogs can get loose from their owners, despite their efforts to prevent it. If your dog is going to put another dog in a death grip anytime one comes near, then you have a problem. What if it is your dog that slips his leash? I love dogs as much as the next person, but I promise you that if your dog had clamped down on my dog in this manner I would do everything in my power to rescue my dog, even if my dog were the one that had gotten loose. If you are going to keep this dog, then when ever it is outside, even when on a leash, it should be muzzled. If you haven't done so already, he needs to be nuetered. This may not make him any less agressive, but it might help curb any desire he might have to roam if he should get out.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, I think I can translate:

Episode 1: Madey and OP are playing and Bandit came over, latched on to Madey and the OP couldn't get the dogs seperated for 10 minutes because Bandit was biting so hard. Since then they haven't fought.

Episode 2: During a walk, a loose Jack Russel came running over, Bandit attacked the JR and bit in the face and would not let go. During this time, Bandit also bit the OP and his wife(?). It took three people and lots of force to seperate the two dogs.

Episode 3: Bandit and family were riding in the car, the wife had a new puppy with her. The puppy was hanging it's head over the back of her shoulder and Bandit grabbed the puppy's ear from the back seat, apparently completly unprovoked and would not let go until the wife bit Bandit on his ear, because this is how they trained the dog to stop biting during play time.

I know you love your dog, but I would advise you to rehome this dog, as he has shown himself to be very dog-aggressive, unpredictable and is showing dangerous behaviors since he bit you and your wife. As sad as it sounds, Bandit may need to be PTS for the safety of others. How this dog made it through the Humane Society as an adoptable dog concerns me and lessens my faith in their screening processes.

PFC1

Zoom said:
As sad as it sounds, Bandit may need to be PTS for the safety of others.
Just so everyone is clear "PTS" means "put to sleep," or in otherwords, "euthenized," correct?

Angelique

I'm very sad to say this, but unless this dog is fully rehabilitated, which takes a very skilled and expensive professional. I don't see much hope here.

I also agree, PTS may be the only option for a dog who not only bites, but does not let go. There are some lines of pits, which are specifically bred for their tenacity to hold on in the fight ring, no matter what. You may have a dog from one of those lines.

Sorry. :(

Athebeau

Some breeds with enhanced drives can very easiely go into predatory drift. When a dog attacks another dog, child or any other small animal during predatory drift....they do it silently.

I went through the same dog aggression issues with my rescue Rottweiler...and with the full enhanced predatory drives these breeds can and will be more dangerous than breeds that are not finishers. My Rottweiler attacked one of my dogs due to predatory drift, tried to attack a small dog, was playing with another dog, and when the other dog yelped it put Athena into predatory drift and the dog suddenly turned into a prey object.

I have owned dogs for almost 40 years, and this was the first time I experienced this. It took using a basket muzzle when out in public, an animal behaviorist who practice Positive training only...if you start beating a dog for a natural drive it will only get worse....never better. We taught Athena emergency down (if she happened to be off lead and I saw a rabbit etc. I could make her lay down, walk over and snap on her leash). I taught her "off" or some people use "drop it"...I like "off" as it is quick and a sharp command that my dog responds to well.

It took me a couple of years to try and desensitize Athena. I still don't trust her around small dogs, so, I avoid situations and when in public (vet etc.) she always wears a basket muzzle.

The behaviors you described are not unusual, but, they are dangerous and you either need to consult with a professional animal behaviorist who understands drives...or the dog needs to be placed in a "safe" home. Or as others mentioned the dog should be reaccessed and either put to sleep or given to a professional who can work with the dog.

Dog aggression in close nit societies can be dangerous. Especially if they have proven they display redirected aggression towards humans. It's rare or due to poor socialization, upbringing that a dog will redirect aggression even in the heat of a fight towards a human. This goes for all breeds. If my male Newf got in a fight with another male Newf' I know for a fact he would never display redirected aggression towards me....in my lifetime I have seperated many dog fights...and never once has the dog turned around on me.

Take the advise of others, you really need help from a hands on professional or take the dog back. You may find yourself getting sued in the future and knowing you have a dangerous dog is just as bad as walking around with a loaded pistol....maybe it won't go off...maybe it will...and next time, maybe it will be a child who will put your dog into predatory drift. I don't want to read about you in the papers:(

Just to add, my Rottie still stalks other dogs and I still would never ever in a million years trust her with unfamiliar dogs. Even with my Newf's and Dobe she will stalk and chase them...it's in her breeding to do this. She would be great doing her job. My other dogs learned to freeze when she eye stalks-quietly. Once the other dog moves then Athena runs in for the attack. She can't hurt a Newf and Beau is too quick. Other than those normal predatory attacks, Athena loves the other dogs and is perfect with them in all other circumstances. It just takes that one moment that another dog, child etc can put them into predatory drift. This is why this normal behavior for some breeds has proven to be dangerous and has even ended up in mauling deaths for some unfortunate people and dogs.

Good luck, I hope you do the right thing.

bubbatd

I hate to say this, but I'd be scared to death to own such a dog. To me, owning a dog is a pleasure ......... This dog isn't. Someone or some dog is going to be hurt. The holding on, really bothers me.

Members online

No members online now.