Instinct Herding Test this weekend

JoeLacy

I think I'll test one or the other dogs on some sheep this weekend. How do you think they might will do? I can only do one at a time.

Jax does not chase squirrels, rabbits, cats nor does he like to play with dogs at the dog park. He will however chase a Tennis ball until you can no longer throw it.

Peyton on the other hand would chase anything if not told to leave it. She loves to chase dogs in play IF I'm not throwing the Tennis ball.

Spoke to the lady who would be conducting the tests. She said if I knew Peyton would chase then to bring Jax. Jax may have no interest at all on them. Jax is all about me.

Here is where we are going. http://www.endgateranch.com/

Last edited:

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
All of what you described means nothing in relation to what they'll do when they see sheep. You really won't know until you see them in the pen!

Good luck!

JoeLacy

All of what you described means nothing in relation to what they'll do when they see sheep.
Thanks, I didn't know if it would or not. I guess I'll take Jax and see and try to video it. I have absolutely no clue what is going to happen. :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Like Allie pointed out, chasing balls, squirrels, herding cars, cats, people, dogs, etc won't tell you anything about how they will do on sheep/stock.

Personally, I would not go to the trainer you linked to because they train and trial AKC, which isn't nearly as hard or takes as good a dog as in USBCHA (which excepts all breeds, mixes, spayed, neutered, etc as long as they work).

JoeLacy

Jax, my son and I went today and I'll have video up tomorrow.

We did an alpha test, then 2 levels of orientation, then a 15 foot long line, then turned Jax loose and then it got out of control.

Did Jax pass the instinct test? uh, yeah, Jax went absolutely NUTS on them! Nobody got hurt, but it could have happened. There was no calling Jax off, finally I stepped on the long line or he would still be chasing them. The normally overly mild mannered Jax had his Sheep switch flipped to the ON position. I've never seen him so obsessed or focused.

I had fun, Jax had fun, but it wasn't much fun for the sheep at all. I'm sure the sheep were very glad to see Jax ride off into the sunset and Jax is counting sheep tonight.

Members online

No members online now.