chinese cresteds?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
once again im looking at this breed, theres a very cute powderpuff lil girl in my mind.
my last thread on cresteds whent kinda unnoticed.
so heres trying again.

whats the personality like?
is there any difference in personality between the powderpuff and hairless verieties?
Health concerns?
Training concerns? (ie are they typically difficult to housebreak, slow to learn?)
and most importanlty grooming on the powderpuff.
i thing the hairless are adorable but as they get older they get a little gremlin looking, ive seen powderpuffs shaved down to look like hairless untill they get older when their owners then let them grow long.
Ive seen them shaved like a poodle in a lion cut, with just their back end naked.
Ive seen them left completly natural
and ive seen them with their feet and face/neck shaved like a poodle would be.
are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this, (ie the coat not growing back in right ect?, less coat less matting, cooler in summer ect?)
How are they on shedding? im told they are "hypoalergenic" im personally not allergic, but would like to knwo from others, do they actually shed?

how are they with kids (gentle of course) other dogs? cats?
What kind of energy do they have? i cant have something that will terrorize the chis, and i want something that can join the chis at our store and enjoy being there meeting everyone.
and on that note, how are they in terms of people? are they naturally warey or more outgoing?

thanks in advance.
ive read alot about them, but i like to hear other peoples opinions, especially those with experience in the breed.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, from the VERY little I know about them, from the two powderpuff and one hairless that I know, they seem an awful lot like Chi's in personality. I can't say anything for health otherwise. But the two PP's I know are fairly timid, while the hairless that has been coming to daycare since he was a pup and lives with a Mastiff and Standard Poodle is pretty laidback and cool.

that's about all i know. They (the hairless anyway) get ugly as sin as they age though, IMO. ;)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
they do lol, the hairless remind me of the gremlins from the movie...
the powderpuff dont get like that though, most likely because you just cant see their face quite as much lol.

The hairless are stunningly beautiful as younguns though!

thanks, ive been told there alot like chis, strong willed, need socilization, can be difficult to housebreak and smart in that "make it worth my time" kind of way lol.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The hairless are very cute as youngins! We call Yoda the " Punkrock Clydesdale" because he seriously looks like a mini Clydes with his feathering on the legs and tail and his awesome little mohawk. :D

(Psst...are you having a Chi litter again ever? Can I have one?)

Though I do not have one myself, my good friend has 3 (had 4 up until last week when her foster of 2 years FINALLY found a home!) and I can tell you my experiences with them and what she told me.

Housebreaking is . . . half and half. 2 are housebroken, 1 is not. And even the housebroken ones often have "accidents" if not let out every 2 minutes.

She has all powder puffs that she shaves to look like hairless (she's a groomer). She said she does this because she likes the look of the hairless BUT they tend to have skin problems so she didn't want to deal with that.

Her three have very different temperments. Pippi is Queen Douchebag. She bosses everyone around and even started a fight with Athena!! When we go over her and Wally rule the couch and yell at the others. Mikey is nervous at first, but warms up pretty quickly. He plays well with the other dogs (the other Cresteds, my friend's Standard Poodle, Athena, and the GSD mix next door) and isn't super hyper. Then Loren is a nervous kind of dog who prefers to sit behind a human she knows and shake than to go investigate new stuff herself. Tinks, the foster who just left, was a LOVE! If you were a person she HAD to be touching you, snuggling with you. She was a sweet little dog. Pippi is also super friendly and loves to sit in your lap while she yells at the other dogs. LOL!

They also live with 2 cats and a ferret with no problems.

They are non shedding as they have hair and not fur. They don't get smelly really fast . . . at least my friend's don't, but again, she's a groomer.

Frankly I would get one if I could afford the grooming fees of getting them shaved every 4 weeks. They're cool little dogs.

Dekka

Just try me..
I have met a few. There was one in one of the foundation agility classes I took last year. He was great. There was another one that came out to some of the lure coursing events last year as well. WOW was that little dog fast (better than most of the whippets, about on par with some of the less motivated JRTs when it came to drive) One came out to a funday I put on a couple of years ago. Nice dog. None of them had shyness issues. All seemed stable and polite. The one in the agility class learned well and behaved excellently.

I've only known two. Both were very difficult to housebreak, in fact one has never become 100%. I think one of the big problems is nasty teeth. I also think they tend to become obese.
Cute though. Both of the ones I met were very friendly with everyone. Both were hairless, and I just couldn't stop touching them.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
zoom, i do have plans to breed chis again one day, im just not sure when, after vixies c-section/spay it set me back a little...
its probably going to be about a year or so before the next little treasures litter is on the ground.
ill keep you updated, honest. :)

MelissaCato

ĜȫƝ ₩īĿÐ
I miss my Falcon. He was a Chinese Crested. He was easy to housebreak and 100% house broke by 16 weeks. They are a treat to groom too, the first time I groomed him I felt bad because his skin showed red markes all over. The second time was a breeze and everytime after that too.
He was a very active fellow, and loved to jump and flip in the air on his leash. Like that was his way to pass time while we stood still. LOL
Sadly, Falcon and my cat Cotton died due to a stray dog.
I haven't seen another like him yet. I hope one day I will.
Here is a picture of Cotton and Falcon.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/448880

MelissaCato

ĜȫƝ ₩īĿÐ
Yes, I was angry, sad and everything in between. The GSD was later shot by a neighbor farmer with a micro-chip found ... The owner of the micro chipped dog was charged and 7 of her 10 GSD were taken away to foster. Numerous charges followed. Cotton, was my first cat ever with 14 good years behind him. Falcon was a baby.

Members online

No members online now.