My growing girl

Adrienne

I can sure empathize with that one. Logan my youngest would stretch out longways and push. It hurt so bad! Not to mention the heartburn it caused. When is her whelping date? Also don't forget to post pics of the pups please!

bubbatd

Me too !!! Bottle that puppy breath !!! Is this your 1st whelp ??? What type of pen do you have ??

Well its my first welp with my own dog, I have helped out breeders with theirs, when you say pen are you talking about puppy pen or whelping box?

bubbatd

Whelping box.....I had one large enough to adjust as the pups grew....so it was pen also.

She has a large dog cage, part of it is sectioned off for the whelping, then it will also be a pen later

bubbatd

Good for him !!! So many don't know how important they are ! If the cage is wire, maybe piping would work. We drilled holes in our wooden one and threaded pipe through...then took them out when pups were old enough not to be rolled on. Please don't think I'm needling you !!! Breeding was my passion !The last litter that Bubba sired, the breeder promised they would build a whelping pen.... I even gave them the pasticulars. They ended up using a wading pool and the Dam rolled on and killed 2 pups.....sooooooooooooo un neccessary !

EliNHunter

Yes... bars on all four sides VERY important to keep pups from getting trapped under their Mom against the walls. Glad you're doing it! Poor Mamma already has squirming puppies in her belly... but isn't it cool to see her extended belling bubbling with little womb-bound puppies, though?! :D

M

Manchesters

What Areas Of Showing Did You Prefer.....

bubbatd said:
Good for him !!! So many don't know how important they are ! If the cage is wire, maybe piping would work. We drilled holes in our wooden one and threaded pipe through...then took them out when pups were old enough not to be rolled on. Please don't think I'm needling you !!! Breeding was my passion !The last litter that Bubba sired, the breeder promised they would build a whelping pen.... I even gave them the pasticulars. They ended up using a wading pool and the Dam rolled on and killed 2 pups.....sooooooooooooo un neccessary !
Conformation or obedience?

bubbatd

Excuse me ??? Conformation or obedience ??? That's not the point. We're talking about whelping. Though I did not choose to show in either , my line was tops in both areas. I decided with 3 kids, a husband, 8 acres, big house, business to help with, my dogs would continue what they were known for .....I called them 40 years ago companion dogs......Ten years ago one of my pup's owners was playing with his dog in a Chicago park,,,,,a stranger came up to him and said " Is that a Hawthorn Hill dog ?" He had owned one of my dogs and could tell the background . I'm proud of my breeding. And miss it !

S

stirder

get back into it grammy, I want one of your pups :) as much as I love Rory and dont regret for a second adopting her, I was hoping my wife would choose to get a golden. wait...hawthorn hill? I think my moms golden might have been out of one of your pups, or one of your pups pups? I was 5 when we got her, I'll have to ask my mom what her registered name was, and if she still has her pedigree papers. may have been something else but that sounds really really familiar. do you know if any of your pups went to an owner/breeder in Missouri? I dont remember where the breeder lived in Missouri but somewhere near St. Louis (maybe an hour away?).

M

Manchesters

COrrect

bubbatd said:
Excuse me ??? Conformation or obedience ??? That's not the point. We're talking about whelping. Though I did not choose to show in either , my line was tops in both areas. I decided with 3 kids, a husband, 8 acres, big house, business to help with, my dogs would continue what they were known for .....I called them 40 years ago companion dogs......Ten years ago one of my pup's owners was playing with his dog in a Chicago park,,,,,a stranger came up to him and said " Is that a Hawthorn Hill dog ?" He had owned one of my dogs and could tell the background . I'm proud of my breeding. And miss it !
We are talking whelping, which = breeding which = dogs involved in producing the litter. I was simply interested in knowing your pupose for breeding and accomplishments. Everybody likes a chance to brag about what they have done for their breed. Just like they have that joke......"Let Me Tell You About MY Grandkids". And I was also interested in what degree of HD they had back then as opposed to now. Like has xraying and certifying been beneficial to the breed, or is the rate about the same.

I myself put no stock in championships. All I have to do is look at the crappy Manchesters with CH in front of their names. It is what a dog produces that proves it worth. And over the years my little bit of breeding has helped to improve the overall quality of the breed. Look at Indy (my grandson) and look at his father (#1 Manchester in the country! Big pile) and you can see the improvement. And to look at Indy's offspring, the improvement continues, thanks to being bred to quality b1tches. THAT is what I am proud of. Not of having produced dogs, but of having left the breed better than what I found it. That is the goal of a breeder, and the only reason for breeding.....to improve the breed, and/or to improve upon what you have.

NOW..........to get off my high horse, the real praise goes to those who produced the dogs I started out with...Busy Bee Manchesters, and Golden Scoops. It is their quality that is being passed on!!!

All of this relates to breeding and to whelping.

EliNHunter

Saje

Island dweller
I didn't see a pic either. It's a weird site. If you scroll around there are links that show up when you go over them :confused: Do you know that dog?

M

Manchesters

M

Manchesters

Jamie

EliNHunter said:
Omigosh, Saje! I can't believe you found that! Although, no pic ever came up (if there was one). The Hawthorn Hill line tended to be pretty red. Visit my "Dog Nostalgia" thread to see the heritage!!
Anyone remember him? Talk about magnificient!!!!!! And his movement would bring tears to your eyes!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.