Puppy doesn't play outside

Greggggg

So we have two dogs, basil whos a 8 month old maltipoo and charby whos a 3 month old border terrier mix. Basil is really relaxed inside but loves to play outside. Charby is the complete opposite. He plays and is way to wild inside but just sits with me when were outside. What can we do to encourage him to be calm inside and play outside?

Do you take toys out with you? Do both puppies go out together?

As the weather gets warmer, do more family activities outside, such as picnic dinner. Maybe Charby will start to see the back yard as an extension of the house. Maybe he is afraid of something, a noise (traffic, air planes), an odor (a blooming tree).

My puppy loves to go outside but there are somethings that frighten her. The fire siren is three blocks over and everytime that thing goes off she jumps out of her skin! Also hearing other dogs bark in the neighborhood took a while to get used to. Shadows really scare her at night. We have a motion light on the patio and when she gets out in the yard she can see her shadow and my shadow and she freaks out when they start to move. It is really kind of funny!

Just keep playing outside and I think your puppy get used to it. It would also help if you could find out what is bothering him when he goes out.

Good Luck!

lizzybeth727

Maybe when he gets "wild" inside, take him outside for 10 or 15 minutes so he can either burn off some energy, or chill out. Either way it might make him calmer when he comes back in.

Sanas_K

It might also be an age thing...I have two dogs as well, and mine are in the same situation. My oldest is about a year old now, my youngest about a month old. Sana, my oldest, used to only play inside until just recently. She'd rip through the rooms like a tornado, but outside she'd wait by the door or lay in the sun calmly. Now that she's hit about a year old, she's completely different...

Could also be from a fellow dog helping us out though, lolz. The day we had a friends dog over to play with her, they went outside and this other dog played with her alllll day long. Since then she takes the outdoors as a time to play, this other dog seemed to teach her that the indoors was a place to be calm. She no longer jumps on the couches, doesn't run through the rooms, hasn't had an accident since either...amazing. She acts much more mature now. I don't even bother crating her anymore. I can trust her to behave.

The puppy, Jin, is in the stage that Sana just left though! He'll tromp and gallop all through the house, and sit by the door if he's outside, even if I go out with him and encourage playing...only Sana will play outside with me.

Do your dogs go out together? Perhaps your oldest dog need to teach the younger dog like how Sana's buddy did her, lol. Maybe taking walks will help lessen the indoor energy too. I don't agree that the 10-15 mins of outdoor time when he gets hyper will fix it though, lol...Sana would take that time as a time out to regain her energy and then terrorize the carpet and furniture as soon as the door opened for her to come back in!

I used to use a squirt bottle with water in it to spray Sana if she got too hyped...sometimes it'd work, other times it made her think it was a game, dodging the water. Maybe this method would work for your dog though.

Members online

No members online now.