Things from your childhood that still creep you out?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
The intro song to The X-Files.

Still makes me shudder. I HATE IT!
I only ever saw one scene from the show, and that was because I was supposed to be in bed but snuck downstairs and peeked around the corner.

It was an opening scene where a beggar with no legs follows a fat guy into a bathroom trying to get money. He bumps his cart that he pushes himself along on against the stall door. I was SOOO scared of public bathrooms for a long time after that :p

Xandra

When I was pretty young, like 12, I saw The Ring with my cousins, and my older cousin rewound and PAUSED IT on that dead girl in the closet. I still see that face when I close my eyes at night sometimes...
lol I was 11 when I saw it! The whole movie was scary, but I can still see that face too. When I first saw it gave me the real kinda panicky, stomach twisting fright. It doesn't seem so bad now, but the way they presented it in the movie (suspense, then sudden, brief, shocking glimpse) was just scary. lol

ETA the only way I got over that movie was to think about ways to thwart the girl... what happens if you camp out in BFE? Antarctica maybe? What's she gonna do then, climb out of a TV and crawl across 100 miles of daylit snow to find you? WHAT THEN HMM?

Off topic but I was also creeped out by It (the movie), I couldn't look at a sink or drain the same way for ages.

Oh, and there was a Goosebumps episode where some green slime was creeping up the kid's bed? Yeah, that caused me, for years, to sleep facing the edge of the bed (instead of the wall).

The only thing I can think of that still creeps me out a bit today is swimming in deep dark water. I used to be fine with it, until seeing Lake Placid. Now I get creeped out. What a stupid movie to be traumatized by :p :lol-sign:

Last edited:

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
You guys are making me not want to take the dogs outside. We just moved to the country. I started reading this thread last night and had to take the shotgun out with me just in case, because I was so freaked out. :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
This thread is actually making me Youtube all the pleasant things I remember from my childhood lol.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I have a pretty bad fear of clowns, I almost passed out in a Blockbuster once because I turned around and a quarter of the wall behind me was nothing but DVDs of a movie about clowns. Was not expecting it.

My fear started with It, too, like most people's seemed to. Now, I am able to get through it easily, because the ending is so incredibly horrible, and I have a great love for Tim Curry so that makes it much easier. But, the scene where she goes to her old house and has tea with the old woman still gives me nightmares. I HATE that scene.
Also, the first time I Watched this movie was with my sisters when I was around 8. They made me watch it. Their stupid friends sneaked around our house that night and started knocking on all the windows and the side of the house. I was freaking terrified.

I have also always been afraid of victorian portraits of women and children. The ones where they look all stoic and waxy and their eyes are dead pinpoints. Eugh, shiver.

Xandra

My fear started with It, too, like most people's seemed to. Now, I am able to get through it easily, because the ending is so incredibly horrible, and I have a great love for Tim Curry so that makes it much easier. But, the scene where she goes to her old house and has tea with the old woman still gives me nightmares. I HATE that scene.
True that! When we watched it we were again 11 ish, and it was a 2 part VHS version. Well we watched the first half and were too scared for the 2nd. :p If only we knew that the 2nd half made the scariness dissipate almost immediately. As it turns out we didn't watch it for weeks or months, so we were freaked out for a while.

Taqroy

I have also always been afraid of victorian portraits of women and children. The ones where they look all stoic and waxy and their eyes are dead pinpoints. Eugh, shiver.
I like those portraits. :p I used to collect old photographs actually, I wonder what happened to all of them.

After letting us watch Jurassic Park (I was about ten I think) my dad told us to go to bed and then snuck down the stairs (in the dark, we slept in the basement) and made DINOSAUR NOISES. Like, perfect imitations of the fricking raptors. I KNEW it was him but I freaked the eff out. Lol.

Other than that I must've been a fairly un-scareable kid. The only other thing I can think of is from the X Files and I was a teenager (and slept with the lights on and closet door open for almost six months).

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
This:

http://youtu.be/72tKT0LHii8

Frig... It still makes me tremble.

ETA: Actually most of the Concerned Children's Advertiser PSAs freaked me out... Except the Don't You Put It In Your Mouth one.
I was wondering if someone was gonna post about the CCA adverts. The Don't You Put It In Your Mouth one scared me the most actually.

And some background for those not familiar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyl5Mwr84MA

TERRIFYING! I used to run out of the room whenever it came on TV.

And remember Telefrancais? Ananas always terrified me.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Clowns. I saw like five minutes of IT when I was younger, that did it for me.
In 5th grade we had the fire dept come to our school and do this little skit thing in the gym, they had a clown. He came walking right towards me to come up front of everyone and do the skit. I panicked, ran out of the gym, and p!ssed my pants.
Clowns are the devil. I am convinced of it.

Spiders. Daddy and I went camping A LOT when I was younger, and we went to Manatee Springs in Florida (seriously go there if you haven't, I LOVED that place as a kid). Anyways, they had a bathroom facility at the camp grounds. I woke up in the middle night and told daddy I was going to go to the bathroom (we were in a tent, and there were a lot of campers out there, so I wasn't just gonna pop a squat right there lol). So I was running through the woods and in my back of my head I was thinking "stop running, something is about to happen". Sure enough something did. I ran straight through a spider web that had one those BIG @SS banana spiders on it. It was in my hair. I had a panic attack as I was running to the bathroom and a guy was walking out of the facility and saw me panicking and he asked what was wrong and I couldn't breath and he saw a spider in my hair, and he sprayed cologne in my hair and the spider fell out of my hair, on my shoulder, then to my feet. I started tap dancing on that spider like no tomorrow lol.

Aside from not being able to have kids, spiders are my biggest fear. I hate them to the point I can't kill them. Seriously that spider F'ed my life up lol

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Listen to Montley crew, really, really loud. Used to scare the crap outta me and I would cry.

Also, when I was younger I used to think Lynyrd Skynyrd was the devil. because his voice sounded like the Devil to my child mind lol

Snark

Mutts to you
Horror movies... I saw the Haunting of Hill House when I was about 7 and it scared the bejesus out of me. Mom and Dad were also fans of Hitchcock, so I got to watch those movies, too. He did a heck of a lot more with suspense than the current gory horror flicks...

I still remember when I saw The Birds for the first time on TV; I was about 11 and the very next morning, when leaving the house to walk to school, discovered a migrating flock of birds had descended on the neighborhood. They. Were. Everywhere. The telephone wires sagged from the number of birds perched along them, and the noise? Geez louise! Totally freaked me out... Mom, of course, thought it was funny and made me walk to school anyway.

Strange item #1. Behold, Evil Otto from Berzerk, the Atari 2600 game. (I pronounced it "Oh-doe" as a kid.) He's nothing but a disembodied smiley face, but he would appear out of freaking nowhere and mess your shizzle the F up!!! I had to sleep with the door open because I would always expect to see Evil Oh-Doe appearing in the corner of the room.

Strange item #2. When I was a kid I watched Free Willy where his tank was cracked and the water was running out. They would cut to a shot of the water level measure on the side of his tank, and that always made me panic. Like I was going to drown. To this day, water depth stuff creeps me out.

I find it scarier on swimming pools than stuff like this, but you get the idea.

I mostly outgrew this because I had to, but strange toilets used to freak me out. Our toilet broke when I was 8, and it was rather traumatic. When I gained a lot of weight, I hated using those commercial toilets that come out of the wall rather than the floor, because I thought my fat ass was going to bust them.

Members online

No members online now.