We switched to Old Mother Hubbards Welllness Diet

I had fed my dogs Alpo, but when the Purina company bought the rights to Alpo, they changed the ingredients and my dogs got very sick. We have had a lot of trouble with Purina products, mainly due to the dyes and perservatives in their food. My groomer recomended Old Mother Hubbards Wellness Diet and my dogs skin and coats look alot better. I also give them cooked oatmeal a couple of times of week for the anitoxidents in it and they have the shiniest softest coats, even our vet comented on how healthy their coats are. Does anyone else use Old Mother Hubbards Wellness Diet?

pitbulliest

Its not a bad brand..but recently..I've "heard" that its starting to go downhill...becoming one of those "we're getting rich and famous now so its time to save even MORE money and cut down on the quality of the food" companies...I hope its not true..for DOG'S sakes...

I used to feed wellness..I switched to Timberwolf Organics about 6 months ago..Its an excellent brand (for now *crosses fingers*)...and I also feed home cooked food...

let us know how your dog does on the wellness :)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
it's a good quality food, but i'd rather supplement it with some fresh meat, eggs, cottage cheese etc. rather than oatmeal - wellness only contains about 30% meat to begin with and protein is what dogs need in their diet, not carbs. :)

Years and years ago I used to buy the Old Mother Hubbard treats for Bear - back before they were owned by a "real" company. He loved them then. I still buy the treats sometimes, but they aren't what they were back then.

maui

We feed the doodle Wellness Dry Kibble. He likes it okay. Ultimately he loves a variety. We look for Human Grade ingredients generally.
He gets:
Flint River Ranch (Lamb, his fav.)
Merrick Turducken & other dry kibble
Wellness Green Bag dry kibble
Other (we change it up a lot, usually California natural, Prairie)

For wet food (we mix it)
Wellness Lamb, occasionally
Merrick anything, altough he is tiring of these (Turducken, Cowboy cookout, etc.)
Prairie variety pack, love's these.
Flint river has a dry water mix? You take it and mix it with water. Then add the kibble, loves it!
Prarie (okay, the expense just shows how crazy we are for Ranger) has freeze dried raw disks... We call them Space Disks, or friend refers to them as Nasa Food. We use those as well. Always with a kibble.

He never gets the same meal twice in a row. He's so spoiled, as are we. Iron clad stomach. We always switched his meals, so he never became dependent on one food. He also gets many many dried fish treats, skins, etc. Yep, I train him with anchovies! lol.

Giottolina

ShihTzuLover62 said:
I had fed my dogs Alpo, but when the Purina company bought the rights to Alpo, they changed the ingredients and my dogs got very sick. We have had a lot of trouble with Purina products, mainly due to the dyes and perservatives in their food. My groomer recomended Old Mother Hubbards Wellness Diet and my dogs skin and coats look alot better. I also give them cooked oatmeal a couple of times of week for the anitoxidents in it and they have the shiniest softest coats, even our vet comented on how healthy their coats are. Does anyone else use Old Mother Hubbards Wellness Diet?
Last month I bought my 2 shih tzus a bag of Wellness, chicken kibble, consired to be a Super Premium brand by the "Whole Dog Journal", to add a bit of variety to their taste buds. Their regular food is Innova Adult, my pups won't eat the dry kibble anymore, so I decided to mix it with either plain yogurt ( in the morning ) or 100 % organic can pumpkin ( not the pie filler ) and Innova can food ( about a tablespoon ) mixed with the Wellness for dinner. So far they are not eating the Wellness kibble, even when I mixed it with the can Innova, yogurt or pumpkin.

Thanks everyone for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. This past week our Shadow had to have surgery to remove bladder stones, so as soon as the results come back about the stones, I will probably be switching his food.

Members online

No members online now.