ABC's 'Nightline' investigates puppy mills

ltret0294

TV alert: ABC's 'Nightline' investigates puppy mills
posted by Karen Saunders on Mar 26, 2009 5:41:25 PM

From the mailbox:

Well friends, once again, the cat is out of the bag -- or should we say the dog out of the hutch! This Friday night (March 27), ABC's Nightline will investigate puppy mills. ABC correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi and investigators from Nightline travel the byways and back roads of Lancaster County, Pa., visiting numerous puppy mills and filming Main Line Animal Rescue's volunteers as they rescue breeding dogs and puppies from Lancaster County's notorious Amish commercial breeding facilities. This promises to be a very special program.

If you are involved in rescue, advocate on behalf of the millions of puppy mill dogs interned in our nation's commercial dog breeding facilities, or if you just simply love animals, you will not want to miss this. Sharyn Alfonsi interviewed, on camera, an Amish breeder while touring his facility -- a first for network television. With approximately 500 dogs housed on his property, this commercial breeder speaks openly about an industry cloaked in secrecy and suspicion -- the cruel factory farming of man's best friend.

PLEASE tell your friends, your family, your co-workers to watch Nightline at 11:35 p.m. (ET) Friday. Please take the time to forward this to all the rescues, shelters and legislators in your area. It has been almost a year since Oprah Winfrey's puppy mill show aired. That program received the highest viewer response of any Oprah show in years. Now we need to spread the word about this very special Nightline. Only by educating as many people as we can, will we be able to help these animals. And after you watch the program, please don't hesitate to contact ABC and Nightline to thank them for casting such a strong light on the plight of our nation's puppy mill dogs.

Bill Smith, Main Line Animal Rescue

Note: Friday's airing of Nightline's investigation of puppy mills is subject to breaking news. If for any reason it is not shown, it will air the beginning of next week. Please check listings for your area

Brattina88

You know what annoys me the most - its on TV fairly frequently, Oprah even had a show about it, magazines etc etc, but I still know people (who've watched the show, and listened to me rant) and went out and bought not one but two puppies from a pet store that sells puppy mill puppys. The staff told them the puppies were from "local breeders", and they believed it, simple as that. :mad:

Amstaffer

You know what annoys me the most - its on TV fairly frequently, Oprah even had a show about it, magazines etc etc, but I still know people (who've watched the show, and listened to me rant) and went out and bought not one but two puppies from a pet store that sells puppy mill puppys. The staff told them the puppies were from "local breeders", and they believed it, simple as that. :mad:
People believe what they want to hear. Most people don't want to take the time to research a quality breeder and then go through the approval process that any good breed does.

I watch the show. I didn't they did a very good job but it was a real short segment.

rem55555

I cannot bare to watch shows investigating animal cruelty. It just breaks my heart. Years ago, in Wisconsin where I live, there was an undercover investigation of a certain puppy mill. If I remember this right, an animal rights group sent in a Hmong couple into a puppy mill for the sole purpose of getting a puppy for their meal. I can't remember all the details, but if memory serves me right, they wanted to get the breeder to shoot the puppy while secretly videotaping. By getting the breeder to shoot a puppy, the animal rights organization knew they would be sacrificing a puppy, but hoped this action would save the other dogs. Well the puppy mill did get prosecuted and the dogs were confiscated, but were later returned. I can't remember if the breeders were prosecuted, but if the dogs were returned to them, I doubt it. As I said, it brakes my heart to watch these shows and makes me want to go and take all of them into my home.

Amstaffer

Any time anyone affiliating themselves with "animal rights" gets involved you know something stinks.
The problem is that many of them are so passionate and overwhelmed with feeling of righteousness it blinds their judgment. That said, even a "clean" puppy mill (like one on Nightline) is still a puppy mill and IMHO still evil.

bubbatd

Was it part of the family thing advertized ??? If so , I missed it !

maltipoo

Puppy mills make me sick.

I bought my first pup, but i didnt know about puppy mills then. When i learnt, i've only adopted ever since.

Members online

No members online now.