newbie looking for some help please!!!

Hello all, im Debbie from Manchester in the UK. I adopted a beautiful 10 month old cross breed from the dogs home 3 weeks ago. She has been excellent sofar, very loving and learning quickly. The only problem i have is the soiling!! she will go in the house every night, even though i walk her before we go to bed!! i dont know how to house train a dog so i dont want to do it wrong, im just lost on how to deal with this. i tell her she's naughty and put her out in the yard wen she does it but she will do it again! and now she has started doing it when i leave her alone in the house, not all the time, but still some of the time. HELP me please, please, please, i just dont know what to do :confused:

SpringerLover

Do you have any way to confine her to a smaller area? Using a crate, or baby gates to make a smaller area usually helps them realize that the whole house is to be kept clean, not just the immediate area they're in.

Dogs do want to keep their area clean but if they have a LOT of room to move/go then it doesn't matter as much to them because they can get away from it.

Personally, I use a crate when my dogs are puppies and I can't watch them constantly. Then, as they get older, I still crate them when I'm gone so that they remember.

I'm sure someone else will explain further but my recommendation (in addition to the walking you're doing! Great job taking her out at night before bed!) is to get a crate or block off a pretty small area so she wants to keep it clean.

DogSty

yes, crate training is good for your dog.

use this(I got it off my site because I didnt want to write it over again):

Crate training is a great thing to do when you leave your dog to go to work. Leaving your puppy in a crate is not a bad thing to do. Actually, it's very productive. You can teach your puppy to not jump around and break/rip things. When out, your puppy will become very excited. Once you get back in, you'd better keep it in the crate for about 5 minutes or so. Then you can take it out of the crate.

Things you need in order to teach your dog crate training:

-You must be calm at all times. Don't let your puppy anger you to stop. If it messes up, just try again.
-Make sure to buy a crate that is big enough for your dog to stretch out in. --If it is too small, than your dog will have trouble going in and out or just plain laying in there.
-Place the crate near your family and away from heat or coldness. Ex: Air conditioner, heat draft from under the refridgerator.
-When you take your dog out of its crate, go directly outside and go to the part you've chosen to be his "littering spot", if you know what I mean. As always, clean up its mess and return back in the house to give your dog some praising. If you do this more and more, it will learn how to "litter".
-When your puppy whines or whimpers at you durng crate training, don't let it get to you! You are not harming your dog whatsoever! As I've said before, crate training is very productive!
-After some alone time in the crate(5-10 min. or so), let him out to do his -business. Don't praise him right after he gets out of teh crate because that will make him want to come out more.
-If you go to work, you'd better follow these steps. Step 1: After leaving your dog out for a long while, crate him/her again. Step 2: Do this day-by-day and extend the tiems he will need to be in the crate. Step 3: Once you get to the period of time you go to work become regular, your beloved dog won't miss you as much.
-When at work, crate your dog so he/she will not ruin the stuff in your house.
-Put soft, washable bedding inside the crate. Do not bring the water and food into the crate unless you want a big mess. If you work for a long time, you might want to put the food and water in the crate, but that's only if you are okay with it.
-Leave your dog/puppy's collar out of the crate. he could get tangled.

Hi,
I had the opposite problem with my dog when I first brought her home 7 years ago from a shelter. Kay wasn't doing anything, I could not find any traces for days. It took weeks to get things normal.
You say you've only had your dog a few weeks, maybe your dog is still feeling unsettled (which is natural) as she has recently moved homes. You may find once she settles in, things with run smoothly for you.
There is also an air diffuser out on the market now to help dogs and puppies relax in different situations and enviornments, this could help her find balance within the home. I have it for kay, for a couple of reasons, fretting whilst alone, fireworks and what not.
Dogs love routine too, being fed at the same time for example or going for a walk at the same time every day(give or take). When routine is broken it can result in behavioural problems such as soiling.
Hope this helps.
XXX

Thanks everyone, i think i'll see if she settles a bit longer, then give the crate training a go after christmas if she hasnt stopped. I suppose she needs to settle a bit with us really, im really grateful for your advice. Ill let you know if it gets any better. :)

Members online

No members online now.