Introducing shy cats to a new environment...

RD

Are you dead yet?
We have sold our house in Idaho. We have two cats there, that we brought with us 4 years ago from our ranch. (They were outdoor mouse-hunters)
Well, I thought I'd found them an excellent home, but the lady changed her mind at the last minute. :mad:

So, since it was either bring them with us and train them to be indoor cats, or send them to the shelter and most likely have them euthanized, my parents packed them up in a crate, and are on their way back to AZ. (The cats are mildly sedated, so they don't freak out and injure themselves)

My cats are extremely shy. They are loving and outgoing with me, but in a different environment or with any strangers around, they are terrified and stressed. I am at a complete loss at how to get them to adjust smoothly to a new home, and especially how to get them used to never going outside.

I'll admit, I do not know cats well at all. So, ANY suggestions on how to reduce the stress of the change would be appreciated.Also, any tips on teaching them to adjust to living indoors would be great. Thanks. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
We had a stray show up that i brought into the apartment..she shot into the cabinet below the sink in the kitchen so i just left the door open a crack and didn't force her to come out..each night she would come a little farther to get her food and water and then slip like a grey ghost back in to her hiding hole..it took her three months before she came out during the day..and eventually she took her place in the family..I just gave her a lot of time to work it out in her own way..

Cats you just have to let take their own time. My Gomez has always been frantic around anyone but me, but he just can't stay out here at the farm. There's no way to keep him inside all the time here - too many open doors and windows - and if he got out he'd just be coyote bait. He's not afraid of dogs. :rolleyes:

So, he's moved in with my parents. He hid in the new addition to their house for a month and a half before he ever started to warm up to them, but now he's taken over my Dad's lap and sleeps curled up next to my Mom at night. It just took time and talking to him softly whenever they went into the back of the house where he was hiding.

They're crazy about him too now. Even their little cat, Gracie, has warmed up to him and plays with him now.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yup, it's looking like it'll take some time. They're accepting my mom, which is a nice thing, but they are not comfortable at all being here.

Well, now that I'm going to be living in close quarters with my cats, I guess I better start learning more about them. They've done fine for years on my limited knowledge, but I'd like to be prepared for any problems that could arise..

Thanks!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Just be patient. They will come around in time. We got a new kitten over a year ago that acted so wild and was afraid of everything. I kept holding him and comforting him. He still acts a bit aloof. When strangers come in, he hides. Just last night for the first time Bear laid on my fiance's lap and when I woke up this morning, Bear was sleeping in Carl's arms. I just think cats need their space more than dogs and get used to things slowly.

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
I am so glad you didn't bring them to the shelter. You can purchase mouses that are electronic or that have a string with a long pole to move it around so they wont be like oh my goodness theres no mouses they also have juts mouses are cats have attacked them and love to play with them. Maybe give them some tuna or wet food if you don't allready so its more like outside hunting food.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Renee750il said:
By the way, have they been vaccinated against FIV?
No they haven't, they're going in to the vet this week for their vaccs.

Saje

Island dweller
We just moved into our new place and Mitsy is extremely cautious around new areas. I found that her having her own room rather than the WHOLE house made her feel safer. I also gave her a box which she hid in. It only took her a couple of days to make it her home.

I also think getting one of those cat trees, or making one, is a good thing to do as it's like climbing a real tree, they get exercise, they have their own place (mine has a box on top that Mini sleeps in, and thy have a safe place just to watch whats going on and evaluate the situation.

You'll probably be surprised at how quickly they adapt. And remember, that cats are very curious and they will have a big new house to explore :D And that's not bad.

As for getting them used to being indoors I think the best thing you can do is offer them lots of entertainment. Give them things to climb and play with. They should be ok.

Let us know how it goes. When are you moving?

Members online

No members online now.