What would you do if...?

dogsrule

First timer, so please bare with me. I'd really appreciate your objective replies about what to do with the following dog purchase problem.

My family bought a pure-bred, adult dog from a previous owner who has been breeding/showing this breed for 30-something years. I paid $200 when I picked up the dog. That same day I took her to my Vet to have checked out. I agreed to pay $200 more if she checked out okay.

Owner told me:
1. dog was "around"? three years old; was vague about birthdate
2. wasn't sure if she was up to date on shots, rabies & I'd have to do that
3. didn't have records, I'd have to track down from whoever her Vet was
4. she can't have puppies!
5. I must have her spayed!
6. I can't have her papers!

When I took her to my Vet:
1. had to get shots, rabies, etc., since we didn't have history on her
2. her teeth hadn't been taken care of and needed to be
3. had a slight cornea tear on both eyes which can happen with this breed
4. had tapeworms and I had to take her for two weeks of shots (I mentioned to previous owner-said she had seen her eat a flea off her body)
5. because she couldn't be spayed during tapeworm treatment shots, and after shots went into heat, we had to board her when we went out of town for Christmas. We couldn't take her with us in heat and a male dog would be where we were staying for several days.

Vet (who is my brother and his partner) thought it unusual that all these things hadn't been taken care of and that I'd be expected to do all this, especially after paying $200 and then she wanted $200 more ($400 total). We are inexperienced at this and later realized this wasn't a normal type of dog sale. It "seems" that "usually" the previous owner would have dog up to date on shots, spayed, records, no tapeworms, teeth cleaned, etc., before selling. Is that right?

I didn't pay the extra $200 and the previous owner called me demanding it. She turned into a crazy lady! She flippantly yelled that my brother (the Vet) should know this is all normal procedure and he should take care of all these things for free. She threatened to call him and give him a piece of her mind! She threatened to come to our house and take the dog (and of course not give us back the $200 we'd already paid her)! I told her she can't do that. Our children and us had already closely and lovingly bonded with the dog and that would be so wrong to do that to the dog and kids. She didn't care about that and just demanded her $200 more. She accused us of probably abusing her anyway (after she had previously admitted she wasn't able to take care of her and her 10+ other dogs at home, and that's why she was "selling" this one and some of her other dogs).

She also hurled other insults like accusing my husband and me of being con-artists and that we've probably conned other people too! Then blurting out, "how many other people have you conned!?" She viciously yelled accusations, lies and harassment at me and my family. I didn't know she could get so nasty over $200. She wasn't talking rationally or reasonably and wouldn't even consider what we'd been through. I was willing to negotiate down the remaining $200 but when she called and said all of this and more, and didn't even give me chance, I figured that was that and I wasn't going to pay her anything else. My husband vehmently agreed and said if she shows up at our house, we'll call the police, and she can go ahead and file a claim against us.

Thanks for your feedback!

joce

Her not knowing the birth date sounds odd. But many breeders want their dogs to go out on a spay neuter contract,it is the responcible thing to do. She probally isn't a great breeder but you get what you pay for,200 is pretty cheap for any dog.It jsut sounds like any dog form a back yard breeder. Did she want 200 up front and then more?

What breed of dog is it and were did you find her at?

If she keeps calling get a record and keep track of it,and do call the cops if she shows up.

mojozen

bullie lover
Sounds to me to be someone with a hoarder disorder... which some breeders/showers get. Uck.

I think she's being unreasonable. I would possibly think abotu filing a complaint with her kennel club and/or police department for harrassment. Try to get all of your records together, and attempt to journal what happens from now on. Record phone conversations if you can. I believe you said that you were to pay "$200 if everything checked out." Since everythign did NOT check out... you shouldn't have to pay.

And i agree with Joce - for a breeder to not know when the dog they are selling is born? Uck... I don't know that those are very good practices. My guess is this dog is not papered and is not what this breeder is claiming s/he is.

Saje

Island dweller
Sounds like a backyard breeder. Don't pay her. Keep your receipt for the $200 you have paid her and when you register her with the town or wherever I'd give them a copy of the receipt too. Just for records. It might not even hurt to call the police and let them know what's going on.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Did you have a signed contract when you purchased this dog, and if so, how does it read?

Amstaffer

First...Keep the dog at all costs, sounds like you are saving her/him from a bad home.

2nd...This lady is the con artist, not you. 200 dollars for a "3 year old" dog who is not for breeding is very high too me. Although that price from a dog rescue would be fair in my opinion because it is for a good cause. In your case it sounds like your money is just going to line her pockets. You are completely in the right from what I can tell.

Julie

I am back again.
I can't really give much help with your situation. But if the vet visit (for needed treatment) (with your brother) cost more than the two hundred dollars you owe her, I would not pay the remaining either. Just send her a copy of the "paid" bill and make a note that dog was not healthy so it voided your original verbal contract.

Unless of course that you signed a written contract, then that might state something different.

I also have a question about the tapeworms, why does the dog need a series of shots to kill them? One dose of praziquantel should do the trick?? I didn't know any dog needing a shot for tapes. (but I guess I could be wrong:D )
Now I know heartworm treatments are administered that way. Just curious.:)

Best wishes,
Julie.

B

brock23

Yep, register that dog under your name immediately (shows possession), then tell her the next time she calls that the police can meet her at your house and sort it out if she would like.

Fran27

I think it depends a lot on the contract you signed. What did it say about additional money, and about the dog's status (shots etc)?

bubbatd

I agree with Red...as to any contract. Unless you signed saying you'd pay the $200 . more...it's a done deal and you have your dog. I would happily pay $400 for a retired show dog , with a clause for spaying. But, your gal sounds like a BYB who really didn't give a d*mn about her dogs and is financially trying to sell off .... Off subject, but when I took in the Golden Kobe to re-home, the owner didn't want any $$$ and when Kobe's new mommy wanted him neutered ...he paid for it ! This to me showed responsiblity on both sides. It for the best of animals. Keep us posted as to the outcome !!! BTW...what breed and any pictures ???

dogsrule

Thanks for your feedback! I'll try to answer your different questions. You know, the more you ask, the more I tell, and more is revealed piecing this crazy puzzle together. I guess if she sees this or it's passed on through other people to her I really don't have anything to be afraid of. It's just the truth!

1. Our dog's name is Cha Cha and she's a sweet fawn Pug. We kept her name the same.
2. I have some prints of her but I don't know how to do the picture thing on here.
3. Tapeworms - I had to take her to my Vet for one shot and then back again a week later for a second shot.
4. The owner insisted we couldn't mate her and she had to be spayed. We hadn't planned to mate her anyway. One of the owner's other dogs mated Cha Cha and she had one puppy before we got her. Owner said I had to spay her, cuz she didn't want her having any more puppies and us "messing up" the line. She refused to give us papers, I guess so we couldn't show her and/or breed her? We don't know much about that stuff, cuz we don't breed or show dogs and hadn't planned to anyway when we were searching for a Pug.
5. There wasn't any formal contract. My fault that I trust people too much... It was a "loose" verbal deal. She convincely assured me that she wouldn't have any health problems. When I was leaving with Cha Cha, after I paid her $200, she blurted out that she should probably have me sign something. I vaguely remember a scratch piece of paper saying I had paid $200 and would pay $200 more later. There wasn't anything else on the paper (like needing shots and spaying, or sold "as is," or yes or no with health problems, etc.) that I can remember. I know legally that can mean whatever the court says it does, however, I have records of the health problems, things we found out about later, and costs that were incurred after we took Cha Cha to my Vet.
6. I also found out later that she gave (without charging) Cha Cha to someone else about 1.5 years earlier. They became her new owners and were going to show her. Supposedly, she heard through her Pug grapevine that they were neglecting, abusing Cha Cha, so she hunted them down and took her back. Now its seems she's hunting us down too and wanting to take her back. I really wonder if it's just for the extra $200 or something else?!

We can tell Cha Cha has been abused/neglected by certain reactions and responses from her. Regardless, we aren't giving her back! We love her and she loves us! Sometimes it seems like she really was a rescued dog even though the owner insisted she "wasn't" a rescue dog. She was left outside most of the time with the other 10+ Pugs at her old house. Now, about the only time she goes out is for a little while to do her business, or in the car to take and pick up the girls from school. She loves and wants to be with us all the time! and go everywhere with us (even though she can't always leave with us...).

BTW-what do you mean by registered? When I got her the shots, rabies vac, etc., they gave me the dog tag saying she'd been vaccinated. Is that the same thing? Thanks again!

Sounds like this woman is a con artist . . . Wonder how many times she's "sold" that poor dog! Cha-cha's poor physical condition can be construed as abuse.

Perhaps threatening to report her to the local authorities for the abuse and having your vet report her to the AKC or whatever she purports to be a member of will cool her jets.

Amstaffer

The fact that the woman is keeping pugs out side is enough for me to think the lady is either cruel, stupid or crazy. Pugs don't take the heat or the cold very well. Pugs are house dogs! Play, poop and pee and then back in the house....no overnight stuff!

filarotten

Fila the love
Oh gosh! She sounds like a con-artist, back yard breeder, horrible type of person, that is only in this for the money. Pugs are not outside dogs, period.
It sounds like you rescued poor ChaCha from a terrible place. Good for you.
Whatever it takes, keep her. Document, every transaction and coversation with this person. then file charges with spca, police, and the kennel club pugs are registered with. So sorry to hear this. Responsible breeders care about their dogs, and take good care of their dogs. This is not a responsible breeder or person.

B

brock23

If there is no contract then that works in your favor. You have possession of the dog and have already paid her $200.00. She is just blowing hot air at you. Send animal control through her neiborhood if you think any of her animals are being mistreated.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Keep copies of your vet records. If she keeps demanding money, you have prove that she reneged on her end of the verbal contract. The deal was for a healthy dog, with proof of shots.

And yes, I agree that you've been had. My mom got a retired champion show maltese from a wonderful breeder, and it cost her all of $300. The breeder didn't get a cent: the money went straight to a vet, and it went to towards the dog's spaying, teeth cleaning, shots, and a new kennel to take the dog home in.

Members online

No members online now.