The musing thread

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I obviously missed "how to be girly" lessons growing up because i bought makeup tonight and hell if i know what i'm doing with it.

I want to put in an effort... but i have no idea where to start really. It makes me want to hide

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this and didn't want to make a thread of its own, but I've been thinking and I'm just not sure. How long after starting a new job is it appropriate to ask for a 3 day weekend off? As it is, I'm working every weekend and have Thurs, Fri, and Mon off. I know this is just me being a whiney baby but everything I want to do seems to be on the weekend and I've had to miss some awesome (so close to home!!!) events because of work. There's a show at the end of November I was thinking about trying to make. But I don't want to come off as a bad employee asking for days off right away. At that point, I'd have been working over three months with this company.

Saeleofu

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this and didn't want to make a thread of its own, but I've been thinking and I'm just not sure. How long after starting a new job is it appropriate to ask for a 3 day weekend off? As it is, I'm working every weekend and have Thurs, Fri, and Mon off. I know this is just me being a whiney baby but everything I want to do seems to be on the weekend and I've had to miss some awesome (so close to home!!!) events because of work. There's a show at the end of November I was thinking about trying to make. But I don't want to come off as a bad employee asking for days off right away. At that point, I'd have been working over three months with this company.
Go ahead and ask. All they can do is say no. If you explain that it's for something in particular and not just because you want to be lazy, they'll probably do it - so long as there are people to cover for you.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Go ahead and ask. All they can do is say no. If you explain that it's for something in particular and not just because you want to be lazy, they'll probably do it - so long as there are people to cover for you.
Yup, I wouldn't mind asking. But then again, I work at a vet clinic that has very family atmosphere...some of our new techs have only been with us about three months, and one has already taken a weeks vacation. *shrugs*

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My dad was not home when I went home for lunch. He has been home most days except for when he was at the doctor. I'm thinking he is at my house possibly working on things. This is good because there's stuff to be worked on, but it makes me nervous too because that means he's at my house all by himself. Not that it matters, he was home all by himself all this time, but he wasn't really doing much. And I'm sure he's fine. But he just told me last week that the doctor told him "Your blood condition was scary and we honestly don't know why you didn't die." So I don't really know how I feel about this but it's not really great.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
We always get the "DISNEY AGAIN" reaction whenever we plan another Disney vacation. It doesn't bother me but a friend posted this on her facebook page and I thought it was the perfect summary :D

" Relocated Tourist sums up my love of Walt Disney World so much with her blog post....

"At any time, I can ride a train, see a Broadway style show, or fly over London. I can visit Pirates one day, Bears the next, and Ghosts on another. I can dance among lanterns, go under the sea, or fly with elephants. I can go back in time and visit Dinosaurs, or ride a mission into Space. I can be an extra on a Movie Set, audition for American Idol, or take an Animation class. I can safari with giraffes, lions, and white rhinos and then visit a forest full of Gorillas. I can visit Countries from all over the World, speed on a race track, or fly on Aladdins carpets. I can get a Danish at the bakery in France, egg rolls in China for lunch, and eat dinner under the stars at Sci-Fi. I can ride horses at Fort Wilderness, take a boat ride from any of the Water side Resorts, or go to Lua at the Poly."

I have been about a dozen times in my life so far, Hannah has been 5 times and in January she will be making her 6th trip there and we haven't even scratched the surface of all the things there are to do and experience there :)

123 to go :D

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I'm going to Disney in January, too! I don't understand all the hype surrounding it.. me& my two good friends started picking 1 location a year to run a half-mararthon& make a trip out of it. They decided Disney this year. I'm excited but not like SUPERPUMPED like they are ahah

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I'm going to Disney in January, too! I don't understand all the hype surrounding it.. me& my two good friends started picking 1 location a year to run a half-mararthon& make a trip out of it. They decided Disney this year. I'm excited but not like SUPERPUMPED like they are ahah
You are doing the half marathon there in January? AWESOME. That may be when we will be there. January 5th-10th :) but I know there are some later in the month, too.

Have you been to Disney before?

just on a strictly customer service base... it's AMAZING. You will not get service like you get from Cast Members anywhere... EVER lol. Disney does everything right. Guest experience is the most important thing :) And then pepper in DISNEY awesomeness... Cinderellas CASTLE, amazeballs fireworks (they spend almost a Mill a night between all the parks on fireworks lol), the themeing can't be touched, ok... I'll stop lol I could go on forever haha

but I do "suffer" from Peter Pan Syndrome LOL (I don't really suffer... I love it lol). nevermind Disney itself but the majority of people are just HAPPY when they are there and NO ONE is a stranger. We've met so many cool people during our trips. It's almost heartbreaking when we come home and no one wants to strike up a random conversation with you LOL

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Yup, we're doing the half but it's Jan 11th! My birthday :D I will admit, I'm excited to spend my birthday not buried in snow ahah

None of us have ever been so it will be an interesting experience for all of us! I'm mostly excited to pet a giraffe& go to a water park. I have a few friends who go yearly and are hilarious enamoured with the place! I am sure that I will enjoy myself, we have a suit in Animation Station (or something??) for 7 nights so will be fun!

I have been to Disney 3 times or so and meh, didn't do anything for me. I did like Universal Studios a lot though but not enough to go back more than a couple times.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yup, we're doing the half but it's Jan 11th! My birthday :D I will admit, I'm excited to spend my birthday not buried in snow ahah

None of us have ever been so it will be an interesting experience for all of us! I'm mostly excited to pet a giraffe& go to a water park. I have a few friends who go yearly and are hilarious enamoured with the place! I am sure that I will enjoy myself, we have a suit in Animation Station (or something??) for 7 nights so will be fun!
DOH... the day we leave lol. Are you creeped out that I knew when the half was even though I'm not running in it? LOL

Art of Animation? OOOOOH you'll have to let me know what you think of it. It's one of their value/moderate resorts but the themeing is supposed to be spectacular. We haven't stayed there before but I'm always intrigued by it and it's new.

If you go to Epcot... Get a fast pass for Soarin first thing :) it is the most amazing ride lol. It's a hang glider simulator and... well you know a ride is awesome when people CHEER at the end and if you decide to "drink around the world" in world showcase... grab a Grey goose orange slushie with a Grand Marnier splash. SOOOOOOOO good. A tequila flight in Mexico is something I'm looking forward to trying this trip on our date night lol and the margaritas at the little stand in mexico are huge... and delish LOL. I know far too much about the alcohol served in World Showcase :p

Yup, I wouldn't mind asking. But then again, I work at a vet clinic that has very family atmosphere...some of our new techs have only been with us about three months, and one has already taken a weeks vacation. *shrugs*
Thanks for the confidence boost. I'm a worrywart to begin with and starting new job and stuff makes me paranoid. I really just didn't want to come off as unprofessional.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I grew up in Massachusetts, but we went to Orlando almost every winter for Disney. I enjoyed going (Disney is FUN!), but I remember telling my parents when I was 8 that I was more interested in a trip to France instead of Epcot's France. I LOVED Disney as a toddler/early elementary schooler... I was very into Disney movies and the parks!

I grew up associating "Orlando" with "Disney" and I assumed Orlando's "downtown" was Downtown Disney (a Disney shopping center) :p

Anyway, I ended up in Orlando for college and I really learned that Disney isn't anywhere near downtown Orlando :rofl1:

I'm about 40 minutes from Disney.

We've gone... 3 times this year? But we hadn't been for at least 5 years.

I like Disney. It's fun to spend a day at the park.

But, I'm more so the type of person to want to see new things each and every vacation. I like nature and being away from lots of people and not spending time waiting in lines. If I wasn't in Orlando, we'd make it a destination for sure at least once when we have a child, but I wouldn't ever take a trip Orlando besides that.

I am glad we have these parks, though... I am thankful for Florida's lack of state income tax due to tourists! :p

CaliTerp07

just on a strictly customer service base... it's AMAZING. You will not get service like you get from Cast Members anywhere... EVER lol. Disney does everything right. Guest experience is the most important thing :)
You think Disney customer service is impressive, try Universal Studios. HOLY MOLY. Those were the NICEST people I have ever interacted with in my life. I felt like a celebrity the entire day. They made Disney employees look like they were picked off the street and paid minimum wage.

(Not saying Disney was bad, just that Universal was 10x as good).

My experiences are the California parks though--maybe Florida employees are a different breed.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Another Disneyworld fan here. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! We went two years in a row and haven't put a dent in the things to see. If we could afford it we would go every year. Even DH loves it. Both times we did the free quick dining special and could go to a different park every day. I have to agree with Sparks, Cast Members are awesome! Really know how to make everyone feel special.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I have been to Disney 3 times or so and meh, didn't do anything for me. I did like Universal Studios a lot though but not enough to go back more than a couple times.
Me too. It's just MEH for me. Not great, not bad, just MEH.

My aunt and my cousin live in Ca so go to Disney all the time and my aunt was assaulted by a very drunk Goofy last year. He hurt her shoulder to the point she had to do physical therapy for a while. She didn't say anything to Disney until the next day and they said no proof no help. >_< Thanks Disney. Though I imagine they get a lot of false claims all the time being such a big company.

Though with the number of times she's been that was a very singularly rare incident. Most of the characters are so friendly ^_^

I really enjoyed Universal Studios though! Had a great time there, love the rides, staff, everything ^_^

Members online

No members online now.