Thoughts on Border Collie breeders in/near Ontario?

Sekah

The Monster.
I'd like people's opinions on Border Collie breeders in Ontario (or outside Ontario, if they're something really special).

These are the breeders who were linked to me by my agility instructor:

http://www.eweniquebordercollies.com/home.cfm (He has a dog from this breeder, and likes her a lot.)

http://www.powertripp.org/home.cfm (I know a lot of very nice dogs from this kennel, but they may be a little too prolific.)

http://www.tntbordercollies.com/ (These people seem to be breeding really high end sporter collies which may be a bit beyond my ability for the time being.)

I'm looking for a dog who, first and foremost, has a stable temperament. Ideally there would be minimal dog reactivity and no fear issues. The dog would have to have a good off switch, assuming it gets sufficient exercise each day. I'm willing to have a bit more low-key, less drivey BC if it means gaining this stability. The dog would have to be able to operate well in the presence of other dogs.

I would want to use the dog primarily for agility, competitive obedience and flyball. I don't need to be the best of the best of the best, but I do want to be competitive at the higher levels of each sport. I want a velcro do. I think I'd want a male, and I'd prefer him to be relatively small (not over 40 lbs, I guess?).

This potential future puppy will be a good few years off, but I'm kind of excited about the whole research process.

What are people's thoughts on the above breeders? Can you share any other names/websites I should scope out? Are there any details I've forgotten to include?

Thanks!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If I were choosing, I would pursue Ewenique Farm. They seem like a good, down to earth breeder who uses their dogs on the farm, but also trials and health tests.

And to be really honest, I personally would not pursue PowerTripp for the simple fact that I generally do not like the massive coats all those dogs are sporting. They do seem like they have a good mix of working and sporting ability in each of their dogs, if that's what you're looking for.

You could check out this link, too:

http://www.littlehats.net/wannabe/breedlist-ne.html

If you'd like, you can brave asking on the BC Boards. However, I'd just ask, get some links from folks, and leave it at that.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I've heard Mary Thompson of Hawk's Landing Border Collies is a good breeder, they're working dogs. I know she had a litter born around the 1st of November so ready in January, if you're interested in sooner rather than later. She's in London, Ontario. I'm pretty sure someone on here has a BC from her, so you could ask what they're like.

I don't know much about the other breeders, sorry.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I've heard Mary Thompson of Hawk's Landing Border Collies is a good breeder, they're working dogs. I know she had a litter born around the 1st of November so ready in January, if you're interested in sooner rather than later. She's in London, Ontario. I'm pretty sure someone on here has a BC from her, so you could ask what they're like.
Oh, doh! I didn't realize she was in Ontario. Yes, definitely go to her! AllieMackie's Finn is from her! :D

Dekka

Just try me..
One of the breeders I really like doesn't seem to have a webpage. She used to breed JRTs and now for years she has bred working type BCs.

But I think Finn is pretty nifty ;)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Mary produces wonderful dogs. Finn's sire, HL's Coal, was National Reserve Champion at the Grass Creek finals (IIRC) in 2011!

Finnegan a fabulous dog, and great specimen of the working BC. Easygoing, but biddable and raring to work when needed. EXCELLENT off switch when he hit maturity around age two. He has some quirks and the odd obsession, but they're due to situational problems, not his breeding. I am more than pleased with his breeding and would happily go to her again if I wanted another breeder-BC.

She's easy to talk to and was very welcoming. We're in touch every few months with photo updates and emails, four years after getting Finnegan. :)

Ewenique Farms has my vote too, though. She's Finn's herding trainer and produces excellent dogs as well.

elegy

overdogged
Bean's out of one of PowerTripp's dogs, though not a dog she bred. And yes, entirely too hairy.

Sekah

The Monster.
Thanks for the opinions guys! I spent the weekend surrounded by a number of PowerTripp BCs, as well as a few out of TNT lines (I think). They're all awesome dogs. Something that a friend mentioned is that most of the BCs who were there this weekend were "smart" ones. I know that sounds dumb, but hear me out. They were all fast as anything and super drivey, but they weren't the type to lose their minds when they got high (there was one or two there who were more of the "dumb" variety who have trouble thinking with all the excitement too). I don't know exactly how nature vs nurture works in this situation, but I've come to realize that a dog who keeps his brain on him at all times is going to be important to me going forward.

My friend with a Powertripp BC was saying that he was a bit too soft for her liking. I'm sure it varies from litter to litter, but how soft/hard headed do people find the dogs from various breeders? I want a dog who's confident and focused while working, and definitely not a worrier.

Any more thoughts on all my random postings? :p I know I'm not exactly being cohesive. Thanks!

Last edited:

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Thanks for the opinions guys! I spent the weekend surrounded by a number of PowerTripp BCs, as well as a few out of TNT lines (I think). They're all awesome dogs. Something that a friend mentioned is that most of the BCs who were there this weekend were "smart" ones. I know that sounds dumb, but hear me out. They were all fast as anything and super drivey, but they weren't the type to lose their minds when they got high (there was one or two there who were more of the "dumb" variety who have trouble thinking with all the excitement too). I don't know exactly how nature vs nurture works in this situation, but I've come to realize that a dog who keeps his brain on him at all times is going to be important to me going forward.

My friend with a Powertripp BC was saying that he was a bit too soft for her liking. I'm sure it varies from litter to litter, but how soft/hard headed to people find the dogs from various breeders? I want a dog who's confident and focused while working, and definitely not a worrier.

Any more thoughts on all my random postings? :p I know I'm not exactly being cohesive. Thanks!
When I was breeder hunting, I spoke with the breeder of TNT dogs as well as met a ton of their offspring at various agility events. Some were good levels of drive, and some were off. The. Wall. I know that her dogs are some of the highest-drive dogs bred in the province, and many have troubles with an off-switch. But I have no idea how much of that is nature vs. nurture. Her breeding dogs have great temperaments and, while super mega drivey, seem to settle well as well (I've only ever seen them at events).

PowerTripp was high on my list for awhile, but she rubbed me the wrong way when we got to talking. Nothing against her or her dogs, just didn't click with me.

I still think a working-bred BC might be right up your alley.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I've seen enough TnT ones at AAC trials. Even people with long-term BC experience can be frustrated for seemingly years with the drive they end up with. Drive isn't a bad thing. I'd go after something with working drive rather than what I'd consider a sporter collie.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I'm not sure how far Creekside Border Colllies is from Ontario, but I've heard great things about them too. They breed for working dogs, but they also participate in agility with some of their dogs so they know what they 'need' to be sports dogs and a lot of their puppies go into sports homes. If they weren't across the border, I would be considering them for sure.

I wouldn't call dogs previously described it over the top with drive, so much as easily overstimulated. That's not something I would want in a dog, and if you want a dog that is inclined to settle well, I personally would stay away from completely sports breedings because I think being able to be a nice pet is forgotten from the equation too frequently and it makes me wary.

Although it is hard to tell if it is nature or nurture, I see a lot of people encouraging their dog's obsessive behavior because they think it's funny, etc., so it might be that is the case.

Sekah

The Monster.
Thanks again guys. You're helping me figure out the language to use to properly communicate what I'm looking for from a breeder. Cheers.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've looked into a few of these breeders. Haven't actually met any dogs from them but I have heard good things overall about the Powertripp dogs.

One of the frustrating things in BCs, imo, is how many people are out there breeding so focused on one specific thing. Maybe I just don't know where to look but so many breeders seem to focus on just flyball or just stock work or just conformation.

Kilter

It also depends on the dog, how they're handled and trained, and so on.

With a lot of high drive dogs, if they haven't been taught to use self control, or the owner is a screaming nutcase running after them and not handling them well, then they'll think for themselves and run a course. You have to look though and see if the handler stops and gets their dog, or just tries to run, and that sort of thing too. How is the dog off the agility course, are they relaxed and cool or on their hind legs screaming from place to place? How old the dog is helps to give insight too.

It's certainly something to ask breeders about anyway. One of the reasons I'm hoping to use Ticket with Kilt is because they are different lines and while she's a bit more 'sucky' of a dog he's a tougher 'whatever' kind of dog. Took him five tries of pulling the spoon out of my hand today to get that I wasn't letting go of it for him to get all the yogurt. LOL

BostonBanker

I'm not sure how far Creekside Border Colllies is from Ontario, but I've heard great things about them too.
Creekside Border Collies are my absolute favorite :) I know quite a few of them well, and know the breeder a bit. If my friend ever breeds her male from there, I will be living out of my car so I don't have to deal with my condos 2-dog limit, and selling my soul so I can have a puppy. He's pretty much my favorite dog ever other than my own (and some days he might move ahead of Gusto ;)).

vandog

Merlie Girlie!
I have met plenty of Powertripp and TNT dogs.

Right now PT is planning a litter between Shayde (a Rival kennel bred dog) and Imp. Jim. Jim is smooth and Shayde doesn't have much coat, so you won't be dealing with gobs of hair. It should be an excellent breeding. They don't breed very often, and I don't know if they even have room on their current list. PT lines main sire has produced epilepsy - the breeder discloses this - but the breeding occurring now is entirely unrelated to that male. Every PT I've met was soft over hard, but not excessively soft. They were outgoing, social and happy dogs.
PM me if you want further information or have specific questions.

The TNT dogs were all owned by experience flyball and agility owners, and while nice, they are not a kennel I would seek out for a first time BC owner. Those dogs were high off their rocker and peel off the ceiling... not something I would want personally. Still happy, outgoing dogs with great structure.

Although you specified a specific region, other Canadian breeders I would consider are Moyhall Farm, Creekside Border Collies, and MarCar Border Collies.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.