How to regain Puppy's Trust?

baineteo

Hi guys. I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed. If it has, please so not hestitate to direct me to the thread. THanks.

Anyway, like the topic says, how do I regain the trust of my puppy? My puppy is a 2.5 months old Welsh Corgi, named Cookie. Yea...I know. That's now the most creative names to give to a Corgi. Anyway, that's not the point. :D

Here's the situation:
My family just got our first dog on Sunday. On the first day home, after much playing around, she began to respond to to "Cookie come," together with some clapping of hands. However, during hosuebreaking, I guess I was too, erm, nervous, and I think I've scared her a little.

One the 2nd day's morning, after breakfast, we made the mistake of letting her out before she emptied her bowels. Then, as I was on the sofa reading my morning papers, she spreaded her legs open to prepare for a pee. She was facing away from me. I panicked and immediately stood up and sort of ran towards her. She turned around and looked a me, and I think she was frightened. It wasn't intentional (if only she could read this..)!

That night, when I came back, she no longer comes when I call out "Cookie come,". She reponds to my brother and his girlfriend. All 3 of us spend almost the same amoutn of time together. She even used to respond to "sit" every now and then. Today (3rd day), I stayed home the whole day to bond with her. I played with her, stroked her, fed her, carried her. Cookie doesn't hestitate to give me a face-wash (or is it wash-face?) whenever she gets the chance. Also, she does not run away from me when I try to pet her.

While she's fine with me carrying her and walking around, she's quite eager to get off my lap/hands whenever I sit down - she's fine with my brother and his girlfriend doing it.

How do I regain his trust, or rather, let him "come" to me, again? We do praise her whenever she does something favourable. However, when she does not come to me, how do I praise her for that?

Thanks in advance. :)

Doberluv

I wouldn't worry so much. Your worry and nervousness and perhaps tippy toeing around her will just reinforce the little bit of unsuredness that she may feel. Just continue what you've been doing and reward her when she comes to you. Have fun with your pup and try not to spook her next time if she has an accident. Just scoop her up and take her outside to her spot. She'll be fine.

I agree that you don't need to worry about it, but if you'd like to do something anyway, you could try running away all excited and happy and calling out "Let's go, Cookie!" Most dogs will come flying at an invitation like that, and it doesn't require her to come straight into your hands, but it does mean she's running toward you.

Congrats on the puppy!

otch1

Hello Baineteo.. you've established yourself as that "crazy person" that freaks out everytime Cookie tries to potty, in Cookies eyes. Ha! Doberluv is right, this will correct itself in time, provided you don't run at your puppy when it 's having an accident again. Reccommend a fun book... "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With" This will help you establish a potty schedule for her, reasonable time frames for "holding it" after food and water intake, ect. Good luck!

Don't worry

I wouldn't worry about it. When Wrigley was a baby and I caught him in the act or almost in the act of taking a pee in the house I always ran towards him and yelled No--and he is just fine now. I would just work on the come command more and offer treats again when she comes successfully.

baineteo

Hey guys...

Thank you so much for the useful feedback. It really helped a lot. I guess I was over anxious (you know, like a first time parent.. :D) Here's some good news - she appears to be less frightened of me now. She sometimes come to me without me calling, although she still doesn't seem to respond to "come". Let's give her a few more days.

I have another question though. While the "Ouch" method (bite inhibiting) method is working, i.e. she bites our hands less hard now, she still loves to bite things like newspaper, our trousers/pants and skirts (not mine). The newspaper she shreds are used for paper training. Is it good to allow her to continue tearing and shredding the paper? I read an article that says it's normal if she tears the paper up - just replace them. However, are we being inconsistent, for whenever she bites newspapers that are outside the "toilet" area, we'd say "No."

Also, what about the trousers? Will the ouch method work as well? We tried saying "No" but she just didn't want to let go. I had to reach for her mouth (gently) and coax her to open her mouth. Note that I didn't force it open or apply pressure.

Once again, thanks for helping out this "first time" parent.

Members online

No members online now.