Next dog breed-- help!

sojello

It won't be a few years until I get another dog but I have a list that makes it near impossible to find the "perfect" dog for me. List-

- medium sized (20-40 pounds)... I would like it to be able to fit in a car with no problem as I enjoy travelling with my dogs.
- non or low shedding. I can't handle EXTREME shedding dogs. There are many dogs that I LOVE but would not own because of shedding. Don't mind heavy grooming.
- very family oriented (Velcro even). Would prefer the dog to be tolerant of strangers but not "I love everyone" in their personality
- biddable, a dog that is easily (or fairly easily) trained
- good off leash (with recall training obviously)
- fairly long lived
- non brachycephalic
- NOT a barker

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this dog even exist?
I was thinking a Havanese but I have limited experience with the breed...
Thanks in advance :)

sojello

I've thought about It but, Poodles are extremely soft and I don't prefer that personality trait. I am a loud/obnoxious person sometimes and my late Poodle was very sensitive to it. They also bark-- a LOT.

Assamiea

Most of your criteria would match my Bichon Frise, except he is very much an "I love everyone" type of dog.

Brattina88

And this is where we all suggest our favorite breed :eek: LOL

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, though, my friend is looking for another dog with almost the same exact things in the OP. She already has a bichon ;) My first suggestion was poodle, too. But she's not a fan... Poor poodles, they have such a stigma :p lol

Have you thought about any off the spaniels? Some require more grooming (some not as much) but they don't shed too much, IMO. A lot of your requirements come close to Maddie :p

sojello

And this is where we all suggest our favorite breed :eek: LOL

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, though, my friend is looking for another dog with almost the same exact things in the OP. She already has a bichon ;) My first suggestion was poodle, too. But she's not a fan... Poor poodles, they have such a stigma :p lol

Have you thought about any off the spaniels? Some require more grooming (some not as much) but they don't shed too much, IMO. A lot of your requirements come close to Maddie :p
I actually LOVE Poodles but their softness/sensitivity is a real turn off for me. My Poodle used to frustrate the heck out of me and he knew it. It was a cycle... don't get me wrong, I loved him dearly but... ya.
I've actually thought about a Cocker Spaniel but aren't they also known for horrendous health issues? I absolutely LOVE Cavalier King Charles spaniels but it would be very difficult to find a good breeder that does appropriate health tests.

Assamiea

Bichon is another to ponder... don't they typically have issues with allergies?
Yes, they can have allergy issues.

Baxter has only had one small allergic reaction (itching at the base of his tail) before we switched him to a grain free food, but it was nothing that a little hydrocortisone ointment couldn't take care of. Since then we haven't had any issues.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Portuguese Water Dog? A smaller female would probably be in your size range.

Maybe a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, if you don't mind a rather...exuberant dog? All of the ones I've met have been nutso, but I'm sure a well bred one isn't. Or, at least, I hope not. LOL

Brattina88

I actually LOVE Poodles but their softness/sensitivity is a real turn off for me. My Poodle used to frustrate the heck out of me and he knew it. It was a cycle... don't get me wrong, I loved him dearly but... ya.
I've actually thought about a Cocker Spaniel but aren't they also known for horrendous health issues? I absolutely LOVE Cavalier King Charles spaniels but it would be very difficult to find a good breeder that does appropriate health tests.
Agreed, it is difficult! But not impossible. Have you considered in English cocker, at all?

sojello

Agreed, it is difficult! But not impossible. Have you considered in English cocker, at all?
I have to be quite honest with you; although I like the LOOKS of some spaniels... I am not really a spaniel person.
My aunt bred/raised registered/champion Springer spaniels and... (this was my experience with her dogs) they were dumb as rocks. Maybe they aren't all that way but it ruined my perception of them lol.

CaliTerp07

Have you looked into sport bred dogs? My agility trainer breeds cockers. The ones that don't quite cut it for agility homes (over sized, not drivey enough) go to pet homes, generally with lots of kids to help wear them out ;) They are drivey (to the point of overtly pushy, which she likes), intelligent problem solvers, and fine with people, though more of a "how can I use you to my benefit" rather than a "I must be near you at all times".

I would imagine an agility bred dog of any breed would have similar traits.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
American Bully :) They are 40-100 lbs, depending on bloodline, which is easy to decipher, love people like pit bulls do, but without the APBT dog-snark, and have low prey drive. They go when you wanna go, and stop when you wanna stop. They obviously have not much hair and are very wash n wear, and depending on bloodline you get, reach 12-13 (my foundation females GRANDMA is 13 and still alive and kickin and scaling 6 ft fences)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It won't be a few years until I get another dog but I have a list that makes it near impossible to find the "perfect" dog for me. List-

- medium sized (20-40 pounds)... I would like it to be able to fit in a car with no problem as I enjoy travelling with my dogs.
- non or low shedding. I can't handle EXTREME shedding dogs. There are many dogs that I LOVE but would not own because of shedding. Don't mind heavy grooming.
- very family oriented (Velcro even). Would prefer the dog to be tolerant of strangers but not "I love everyone" in their personality
- biddable, a dog that is easily (or fairly easily) trained
- good off leash (with recall training obviously)
- fairly long lived
- non brachycephalic
- NOT a barker

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this dog even exist?
I was thinking a Havanese but I have limited experience with the breed...
Thanks in advance :)
A nice pit bull or stafford?

sojello

American Bully :) They are 40-100 lbs, depending on bloodline, which is easy to decipher, love people like pit bulls do, but without the APBT dog-snark, and have low prey drive. They go when you wanna go, and stop when you wanna stop. They obviously have not much hair and are very wash n wear, and depending on bloodline you get, reach 12-13 (my foundation females GRANDMA is 13 and still alive and kickin and scaling 6 ft fences)
Am Bully would be a good fit I think... but where to find a good breeder? lol

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Honestly, my Xolo mix fits all of those requirements. If you don't like hairless dogs, Xolos do come in a coated variety. :)

Members online

No members online now.