Do your dogs have a set feeding time?

JacksonsMom

Jackson doesn't really...

My schedule varies so much. Sometimes I have to be at work at 8, sometimes 9, sometimes not at all. Sometimes he just doesn't feel like eating breakfast that early in the morning so he'll skip it or not eat until around noon. Other times he will eat at 7:30am right after he comes in from outside. Dinnertime is typically between 5-6PM but if he gets a good work out between the hours of 2-4, he comes home acting starved so I'll feed him half of his dinner early and the rest later.

So basically no set schedule, it all depends. Your dogs?

When I remember to feed them or at night before bed. I like the idea of a schedule but I just can't stick to them ever. If the dogs are acting hungry I'll feed them but when I'm training a lot I also don't like to feed during the day since I don't know how much they'll get while training.

Kaylee though does because she gets food with her pain pills so I'm pretty consistent about that.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
We have a routine that feeding fits into so while the time varies, they do get it at a consistent point in said routine. The morning routine has them being fed as soon as they come in from the yard, so that's usually around 8-8:30a. Evening routine has them being fed right after the last potty trip of the day, so usually around 11p, but it can vary significantly.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We used to. Like clockwork on perfect schedule but it turned out to create some NEUROTIC DEMANDING ANIMALS. They knew what time they were usually fed and would wake us up and just be general horrible creatures if they weren't fed on time.
Rude.
Now we feed them whenever. Morning, evening, night..from kongs, from bowls, outside, in their crates etc..
It's easier that way and they aren't as annoying.

With puppy, I need a feeding schedule. but I plan on phasing it out as he/she grows and doesn't need so many feedings per day

xpaeanx

sure... thier schedule is "daily." lol. I have to make sure they are completely seperated when I feed them. They can't even see each other when food is involved... other than their Sunday morning breakfast (they get left overs, bc I go out with my bf and his parents). They're seperated but still within a foot of each other. Idk, I could never figure that out. Anyway, it makes it a little more difficult, so they can't be kept on a set time schedule.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
If when I wake up and before I go to bed is a schedule lol. Izzie gets hunger urps in the mornings if I don't feed her twice a day but it varies in the exact time I do.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
She gets a cup when I wake up, a cup before I got to bed, and enough to cover the bottom of the the bowl at other times since my family likes to give her a full cup of food if they can see the bottom of the bowl.

momto8

mine is pretty flexible so they get are not too demanding, normally mine eat between 8-10 am and 5-8 pm

Flyinsbt

Sometime in the morning, and sometime in the afternoon/evening. I do shiftwork, so it's not possible for me to feed at the same time every day. They do always get fed when I get home from work (either breakfast or dinner, depending on whether I worked night or day shift), and on days off, breakfast is when I get up (so Tess rarely lets me sleep past 8), and dinner is usually around 6. So they start watching me closely by 5:30.

Saeleofu

They get fed roughly at noon and midnight, but it can vary by a few hours. This was very convenient when I brought Logan home, since his breeder used more or less the same feeding schedule. Although there's a 2 hour time difference, that doesn't matter much. Many times it's closer to 1 or 2am and 12:30 or 1pm. When Logan goes to class with me (Monday and Wednesday) he gets a half meal around 12:30 and the other half around 3:30 (after class).

They are very flexible, though. If they have to eat earlier or later by 6 hours, that's fine. I do try to keep feedings roughly 12 hours apart, though. I'll forget to give Gavroche his thyroid pill if I don't do it at meal times. It's loose enough of a schedule, though, that they don't notice daylight savings time changes.

We used to. Like clockwork on perfect schedule but it turned out to create some NEUROTIC DEMANDING ANIMALS.
That's one of the reasons I avoided it to be honest. I mean, plus my inability to do schedules. But even I would try and feed them right after they came in in the morning they would get SUPER crazy focused on the fridge as soon as they came in. Didgie started going into the kitchen and sitting at it staring at it at "feeding times"

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Whenever I remember to, usually twice a day. I used to feed them once a day, but Charlie will hurk if she goes to long between meals.

Lyzelle

Yep. Zane used to get fed at 5pm. Every. Single. Day. And he knew when it was 5pm.

Now, it's usually whenever I get up(between 9am and 3pm), unless I have to go somewhere. Then I'll wait until I come back to feed him. After that....it's anyone's guess. Sometimes he only gets fed once a day, sometimes twice a day. If he yells at me a good 5-6 hours his first meal, I'll feed him again.

But, yeah. Totally not part of a schedule here.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Funny enough, Ella is the only one who complains if they're out of food of all the pets. She has no issue with picking up the porcelain food dish and throwing it at the bars of the cage.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Morgan eats around 8am and 4pm. And we do need to be pretty close to those times, because he will make himself sick if a meal is too late. :eek:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yep. Breakfast is usually between 7-8am, I don't feed them, my mom does... so basically whenever she has time to get the dogs up and fed, because that's also about the same time the daycare kids start arriving so it's hectic. Juno used to wake up every day at 6:30am whining to eat, but thankfully she outgrew that as she got older!

Dinner is at 6pm. Juno usually starts getting antsy around 5pm. Today I got home from work a little before 4:30 and for some reason she thought that was signaling dinnertime, which I didn't understand because that's not the routine at all lol.

I like to keep it somewhat close to 12 hours between meals.

thehoundgirl

Yes. I feed my dogs in the early afternoon. They just won't eat in the morning so they get a few treats to have something in their tummy.
And usually if they don't finish all their food, they get it after we eat dinner. My 3 cat's schedules vary. Sometimes Miagi will just want canned food.. he's a spoiled brat but will eat dry too. Tiger usually gets dry and canned sometimes as he has a sensitive tummy so I usually have to buy some special canned for him. Angel usually gets both but not at the same time.

spiffy

Yup! Give or take a few minutes, my dogs would start to get my attention when its feeding time. They would practically follow my movements with doleful eyes as if telling me to bring out the foodies. They get fed before I leave for work and after I had my dinner.

Hillside

Original Twin
I'm with Fran. I vary my feeding schedule to "whenever" because I a) do shiftwork and b) don't want to be nagged.

I'm also with Mandy, Saga and Nico will both get the hunger urps, too, so sometimes they get a snack if my schedule changes.

Toller_08

Sort of, but not really purposely. They always get fed pretty much as soon as I wake up in the morning, and on work days I guess it's always around 7:20am, but on weekends it's two to three hours later. And on work evenings, my mom either feeds them around 5:00pm shortly after she gets home, or I feed them around 7:00pm shortly after I get home. On weekends, the evening meal varies depending on what we're doing and also what time they were fed breakfast.

Members online

No members online now.