Getting My 1st Puppy.

13ecca

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum.
I am getting my first puppy soon and although my parents had dogs when they were younger, its new to us as a family.
We do have other animals so we are aware of the commitment.
I would appreciate it if you could recomend any good books or if you have any advice that will help me.
What equipment will i need?
What check-ups should be done?
What questions should i ask when i go to view the puppy tomorrow?
The puppy we are going to look at is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.
Thanks in advance.

bubbatd

Congratulations on your puppy-to be !!! May I recommend the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " Rutherford and Neil . Tells you what to look for in a breeder and beyond . Cheap on Amazon.com ! Keep us posted !!

Maxy24

for training books I recommend "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. It may be boring to some but I did not find it that way plus it taught me A LOT! Are you getting from a breeder? Cavaliers are often bred by many bad irresponsible breeders (known to us as BYB or back yard breeders). If yours is bad are you willing to walk away and not take their puppy? Get a leash and collar or harness, a crate (very important for a puppy) bowls, and GOOD FOOD. What were you thinking about feeding? (not trying to pick on you it's just with many new members they are new to learning about dogs so we are hear to help you be the best dog owner possible and raise a healthy well behaved dog :) )

Hello Congrats on your New cavalier Puppy, i have three Cavaliers :D!
i am Not sure of a good book, but there are lots on ebay :D

What equipment will i need?

You will need the basics

. Collar and lead (Nylon)
. Small bed
. Lots of toys
. a blanket
. Insurance

What questions should i ask when i go to view the puppy tomorrow?

Has parents been heart and eye tested

the family history

you can get more advice on http://board.cavaliertalk.com/search.php?searchid=25874

A really good book that is also easy reading is Before and After Getting Your New Puppy, by Ian Dunbar. My Smart Puppy, by Brian Kilcommons is also very good. Another good, and new book that is out is The Loved Dog by Tamar Geller. They all train by positive reinforcement. My website below also has some good information for new puppy owners. Congratulations and welcome to the group. Have fun!

mrose_s

BusterLove
hope it all goes well. but do watch out for BYB's. i believe that not a lot of people that are BYB's are aware of the damage they may be doing.

the reasons behind not buying from a BYB are that you probably won't have a health guarantee. a good breeder will health test the parents extensivley. make sure they're breeding the healthiest pups possible.

a good breeder will have a lot of experience in their chosen breed and know a LOT about them. including what to expect like behaviour etc.

a lot of BYB's will charge a LOT for a pup as well but you you don't get all the advantages of a secent breeder. plus! i've seen a lot of pups in pet shops, when talking to good breeders, it turns out the pet shops are charging more than a good breeder.

just forwarning. i'll never buy form another BYB again, except in extreme circumstances, ie - the pups or parents are clearly abused.

a lot of good breeders will have a waiting list, which is good because it shows that people are interested in getting quality pups.

if you would rather not have to worry about good/bad breeders, visit a shelter. i have seen so many gorgeous pups waiting for a home. and i keep seeing cavs go up in the popularity chart so there might even be a few cavs around if you look.

anyway. welcome to the forum :) i've been here a couple of years and still love it. completley changed my life really. i went from dog interested 15 year old to dog obsessed-thats-all-i-wanna-do-now 17 year old :)

can't wait to see pics when you get your baby :)

em&ollie

Cavalicious

Members online

No members online now.