Jack Russell Terrier

axypuppy

My uncle has this kind of dog, and she is the cutest thing ever. I have heard bad things about them. All I ask is that owners of these dogs tell me what they think of this breed.

I am not an owner, but there are tons of them where I live that I have gotten to know. The #1 thing you want to know with this breed is they have a very high energy level for a small dog. Even with a yard they need to be walked for a few hours a day just like a bigger dog. I would recomend a home with a yard for them.

For the most part they get along with other dogs, but they still need lots of socializing.

I have seen a lot of rescues on petfinder indicate they are not good with children due to the energy level and suggest the children be over 12 years of age.

They are also a pretty strong dog for there size. One lady here who has one keeps on breaking her leashes. I would recomend a strong hardness for them and never use a flexi leash.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I frequently babysit two Jack Russels and have been since they were puppies.

They are fairly smart, independant thinking dogs.

Keep in mind they ARE a Terrier - which means instinct usually overcomes command. All though, there are some owners who put time, energy into their dogs fully and end up with amazingly well trained Jacks.

If you get a wire haired Jack - they DO require clipping to keep "neat".

I suggest teaching at a young age with the Jacks as well as socialize!!

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Jack Russel Terriers need LOTS of excercise and mental stimulation or they can be destructive. I knew somebody who gave his dog away because it ate his couch. We got in a JRT pup at rescue from an owner who claimed he couldn't be housetrained, and that he was hyper and wouldn't listen to her. Hmm. Could it be because she kept him in the crate most of the time??? A little time in a foster home and he was houstrained, knew sit, down, etc. They're smart, but they need a patient owner! :D

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I have a chi/JRT mix. JRT are energetic, intelligent dogs that need tons of exercise and socialization. They can be yappy and jumpy but if their mental and physical needs are met, they can make awesome pets. I would definitely watch them around small animals!

bubbatd

I personally think they are a hoot !! Little ankle biters with energy plus ! I'd never own one though !

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Grammy - I have met ONE well behaved Jack Russel and it was an older farm dog as well that has continous exercise! lol

The ones Im' babysitting right now are good dogs - but VERY high strung when they first get out of their kennels in the morning but are usually fairly good once they get out their energy streak.

They are very cuddley and fight to be on your lap or in your arms. At night they NEED to be under the covers or they tear the covers off of you out of jelousy lol

Members online

No members online now.