St. Bernard

snowdogs

Active Snow Pup
Just after some information from members who own or have previously owned St. Bernards and what their like as dogs to own, keep and train etc.

If anyone has any advice i'd be more than happy to recieve, both the good and bad points of ownership lol :)

dirtmcgirt

Keeper of a Corso & Saint
Ok.. here is the deal. We own a 15 month old Saint...

The drool issue, well it isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is. I think that people see Beethoven, as see the part where he comes in a shakes and has drool EVERYWHERE, and think that this is how it is. We do have drool wrags in the house, but really it isn't that big of a deal.. Now, we haven't experienced the bad shedding yet, so I can't comment on that.

But the important things.. He is a wonderful dog.. Best temperment that you could ever ask for. Very intelligent, and easy to train. Gets along great with other dogs. He is weary of strangers, however I don't think that he would ever do anything other than run the other way if it came down to it..

He eats about a pound of premium food a day..

Great dog overall....but know that owning a giant breed is not like owning a small dog.. Formal Training must be continued throughout their life..

snowdogs

Active Snow Pup
Thank you for the advice, much appricated and taken in :)

If there are any other members that would like to offer their advice i'd be more than happy to listen :D

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
well my sister in law used to own a saint and he was a VERY good dog. He was good with kids, and other animals. He wasn't big at alerting to people being in the house though and would much rather love on you than growl (I never heard him growl once). Although I'm guessing the bad points of owning a saint would be the amount of food they eat a day, probably shedding (I bathed and groomed the saint for her and never really noticed a huge shedding problem) also they have a short lifespan compared to a sheltie or other smaller dogs (even probably shorter than a lab or golden). He did drool though, but I have heard that some do drool more than others. I think it has something to do with their heads or something (I don't know that's what I heard). All in all he was a good dog though.

Members online

No members online now.