What Breeds Can Be "Left Alone?"

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Are any breeds OK to be "left alone?" I ask because almost everything I read or hear indicates that most breeds are not meant for those who are not home most of the day. Is there a breed that would be fine left to it's own devices during an eight hour work day? ....and I don't mean a working farm dog (ie. Pyranese). Just wondering.

Kharma and Buffy were both okay with it, even if I took Bimmer with me. Bimmer's always taken it right in stride. Of course, they do seem happier having a companion with them.

Romy

Taxiderpy
A lot of sight hounds seem okay, as they are more independent anyway, and once they are grown they seem to just sleep all day like a cat given the chance. Especially the ex racers, as they are used to being crated for hours between turnout times. They like to have a buddy too though.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Depends more on the individual dog than the breed. Both my corgis are totally fine left alone for a work day. Tyr isn't OK left alone for five minutes, but he has SA. Nyx can be left alone for a work day, but I just have a lot of exercising to do then when I get home.

As for breeds "not meant for those who are not home most of the day", I think it's advice that should be taken with a grain of salt. It's pretty unrealistic to think there are that many dog owners who don't have a full time job outside the home. A lot of dog owners are gone for more like 12 hours a day, spend 8 hours sleeping, leaving four hours for family and errands with very little time for a dog. People like that shouldn't own any breed of dog. Dogs that can't handle being home alone for a work day can still be owned by someone who works - some people can come home in the middle of the day, some hire a dog walker, some take the dog to day care.

If the dog is home alone all day while you're at work, make sure you spend lots of quality time with him other times providing sufficient physical and mental stimulation. Make sure you're realistic about your schedule and your own energy level ~ if you're exhausted when you get home from work, don't get a high energy breed that's going to need to go for a long run in the evening.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Cleo would be just fine left alone during the day. She sleeps most of it! Any of your less active phlegmatic breeds might be okay...esp if provided with a companion of some kind...and perhaps even indoor outdoor access via dog door to a secure yard.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
My two I'm lucky if I come back to a house after an hour. I spend most of my pre-going out time making sure there's not anything down for them to get into trouble with, but they usually find something. Then again, they are also puppies still.
Smokey I could leave in the house for 24 hours and he'd have been ok with it, but he was really low energy and didn't chew.

I wouldn't suggest ANY puppy for someone who's not going to be home alot due to work, etc. No matter what the breed. Though I do think older dogs (read that as over 2) that are fully housetrained and have stuff they can play with can be left alone for an 8 hour period...it's really an individual assessment of each dog.

bubbatd

I agree that it's based on the dog , not the breed . I've always been an at home Mom for my dogs . Grand dog Seger is alone all day and is fine . Other 2 granddogs --- one is free and one kenneled .

I think people get too hung up on the fact that dogs shouldnt be left alone, I see it on rescues sites all the time, "this dog needs someone who stays home with them all day"... really?! who stays home all day? While I dont agree with leaving your dog for 10-12 hours every single day with no chance to get out... I think most dogs do fine being left alone during an average work day. Saying you will never leave your dog alone is unrealistic for the majority of people.

Armani goes to sleep on my bed when I leave, he always has access to his toys, food, water, and his wee wee pad but I think he sleeps most of the time.

There are individual dogs with SA who dont do well left alone... Elle had SA but as soon as my parents got Bella it went away... so I do think some dogs do better with a "friend"... I would like to get Armani a friend when the time is right. But all in all I think as long as you work out other things for them dogs can be left alone and be fine.

Paige

Let it be
My two Border Collies are 100% FINE with being left alone. Especially Bandit. He is the one who's more attatched to me too. Miley doesn't care either. I guess I am lucky.

Spanky needs a doggy friend though. He can't be totally alone. That's when we have issues.

grab01

I'm on a boat..
I've never had a dog that wasn't ok being left alone..
that includes my current group..a Chow, Yorkie, Poodle mix and a wee well mixed guy. They all hang out and sleep when we're gone. That said, they sleep when we're home too. On my days off, Aesop especially gets really sad if he misses his beloved nap time

maltipoo

I only have experience with a few breeds of dogs.

yorkies - definitely NO

poodles - they're fine with it
maltese - okay too.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think it gets overdone too. I wouldn't recommend any dog to someone who was gone all day every day. However, we can leave our dogs all day on occasion and they're absolutely fine. I do think certain breeds may be more likely to develop SA.

Now, having a dog with SA is very different. Summer is miserable home alone, and I'm miserable leaving her home alone. No matter what I do it sends her into a panic. She doesn't need ME though. She's fine as long as someone is home, which could be me, another person, or another animal. That's why I really want to get another dog (well, one of the reasons).

elegy

overdogged
i leave two pit bulls and a border collie pup home alone for ten hours a day. now i'm home at lunch, so that ten hours is split. there is the rare occasion that i leave the adult dogs home for a full day, but i try very hard to avoid it.

like others have said, it's just important to make sure they get all kinds of exercise and attention to wear them out when you are home. right now i don't have much of a life outside of working and wearing out steve. but that's what i signed up for, so while i occasionally get tired of throwing the ball and throwing the ball and throwing the ball, that's my end of the bargain.

the little ancient poodle i used to have could not be left. she had SA and was a freaking mess. i was lucky in that i could take her to work with me every night and either kennel her or have her out with me. i wouldn't be able to own a dog like that now.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I think people get too hung up on the fact that dogs shouldnt be left alone, I see it on rescues sites all the time, "this dog needs someone who stays home with them all day"... really?! who stays home all day? While I dont agree with leaving your dog for 10-12 hours every single day with no chance to get out... I think most dogs do fine being left alone during an average work day. Saying you will never leave your dog alone is unrealistic for the majority of people.

Armani goes to sleep on my bed when I leave, he always has access to his toys, food, water, and his wee wee pad but I think he sleeps most of the time.

There are individual dogs with SA who dont do well left alone... Elle had SA but as soon as my parents got Bella it went away... so I do think some dogs do better with a "friend"... I would like to get Armani a friend when the time is right. But all in all I think as long as you work out other things for them dogs can be left alone and be fine.

Totally agree. My chihuahuas sleep for most of the day anyway, whether we're home or not.

If being home all day was a requirement for most breeds, well, not too many people would be able to have pets.

Members online