IF you were a breeder...

How do you think you would feel if you found out something had happend to a dog you have bred? I know its just because I'm still shaken up and feel so bad about Zippy's accident that I'm still nervous about contacting his breeder. As a refresher Zippy is a 1yr old Manchester Terrier that I've had for almost 5 months. I have always been so careful with him--pretty much paranoid--then when I was out of town for a few days he gets away from my husband when coming in from the yard and runs out on the road and gets hit by a car. Lots of tears, care, stitches, surgery, and thousands of dollars later, Zippy is just about back to his old self--my much loved little miracle guy.
In my opinion, based on the criteria you all have listed out on this forum, Zippy's breeder is the definition of a responsible breeder. He has a multiple Westminster best of breed winner, every dog in Zippy's pedigree is titled, he has a website, but every pup is spoken for in advance. I had to fill out a detailed application and then was told about a 7 month old pup he wanted to place in a pet home after deciding he was a bit too shy for the breed ring. He was microchipped and I had to sign an extensive spay/neuter, expected care, return to breeder type contract and was given breed info and a care package to bring home. We also periodically keep in touch.
I have not heard from him in the 6 weeks since Zippy's accident, but I'm sure he will be in touch one of these days. I dread telling him about the accident because I'm afraid he will think badly of me because it happend--I know thats probably my own guilt and insecurity talking--I would hope he would realize how much I love the dog and have done to take care of him. So, after that longwinded explanation--if you were a breeder how would you feel? Do you think you would ever provide another pup to that person someday? How understanding or not understanding do you think you would be?

Your breeder would only think badly of you had you not provided Zippy with post-accident care...the fact that you stepped up to the plate and used the resources necessary to help him recover means that you are a responsible person...accidents happen...they happen to you...they happen to me...it's how you recover from one that is the true test...you passed with flying colors...stop beating yourself up and go give Zippy a hug!

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Your breeder would only think badly of you had you not provided Zippy with post-accident care...the fact that you stepped up to the plate and used the resources necessary to help him recover means that you are a responsible person...accidents happen...they happen to you...they happen to me...it's how you recover from one that is the true test...you passed with flying colors...stop beating yourself up and go give Zippy a hug!
Ditto what she said ^

As a breeder when those calls come in - how do I say this it can really screw up your karma _ no blame just a feeling of unbelievable sadness, stress and for the breeder it is more than one dog where the owner is is one dog.

The owner who has the accidents is the one feeling the pain more close than the breeder . But yet imagine how many accidents and dogs dying happen to a breeder so they have more BAD days with different dogs than pet owners with one dog. So you dont know what other buyers have going on at the same time so dont worry if you catch them on a bad day.

I have had 6 litters and dogs have been killed by hunters , run over, farm accidents- that i sometimes just sit on the kitchen floor when the calls come in and CRY and CRY and CRY and then get depressed for a week and then try to focus on good things then I get back to dealing with in some cases the owner of the dead dog.

So I do want to here from the owners but i need time to heal and I think he would be happy to hear from you....since you did the best anyone can do.

I would glady trade you for some of my uncaring buyers any day In 36 pups sold over 10 years I have had a few very uncaring buyers who kissed my ass to get pups and real signs came out after the pup went there.

Please put yourself into a xerox machine and send us breeders more buyers like you the ones who care and understand what a great breeder is.

Call him and say FIRST the dog is doing great took him out today, then say but we had a accident a few weeks ago.

Dont start with something happened cause our heart just jump and go to our guts and if we are about to eat well appetite gone even if it turns into good news.

DO NOT LEave a message on the machine with a hint of sadness.
This drives a breeder nuts to play tel tag not knowing.

Muggie'sMum

Mistress Wigglebutt
I would want to know.

We breed horses, and have bred dogs in the past, and we always like to hear from people who have purchased our animals, regardless of whether it is good or bad news. I guess it depends on the breeder - Angel's previous owners were not all that interested to know that she died... it depends on how much you care about the product you are promoting/selling/breeding, etc -- and from the sounds of the rigamarole you went through to GET Zippy in the first place, I would assume that this guy would really want to hear.

I would not hesitate to sell you another pup if I were in that situation. Accidents HAPPEN. Now if this were not the first time that Zippy got hit, or it was widely known that he is constantly running on the road or you are otherwise providing unacceptable care to him, it might be a different story, but for myself.... I recognize that accidents happen...

Case in point, we sold a very expensive filly to a gentleman that owned only unregistered, grade horses - his first registered horse, had LOADS of potential, we were actually going to take her and show her for him. Lost contact with him for some time and came to find out through a third party that she had been struck by lightning out in the pasture and died. Did we feel that he was at fault? No... accidents happen - it's a freak occurence.

What's the worst that could happen? He doesn't sell you another dog? I am sure that there are other breeders that will be equally pleasant and refreshing to deal with..

R

RedyreRottweilers

My contract requires I be notified in the case of injury or illness to the dog.

I would not be judgemental. Accidents happen. Call your breeder and have a nice chat. I'm sure they will understand.

otch1

Your breeder, has been showing for many years (not a common breed, Manchesters', so was not hard to figure out who he is, if you show) and is very reputable. You'll want to contact him immediately and let him know what your dog and your family went through and that everyone's o.k. What will cause bad feelings is if you wait and don't tell him until well after the incident, or he happens to call you to see how everything is going and you then "mention" it. Best to be very upfront about something like that and I'm sure he'll appreciate everything you went through, to get your puppy back to health. Also, I'll bet this is not the first time he's had a puppy experience a serious injury after sale (or even in his own breeding program) Good luck.

bubbatd

As a breeder , I had many letters .... good and bad stories . ALL kept in touch with me .... last I heard was of a pups' 16th birthday last fall . I've had phone calls from friends of owners , to pass on bad news ... the owners were too devastated to call me . Yes , let them know !! They will think very highly of you to know what you did for their baby . Don't forget folks .... good breeders lived and breathed your pups before and after the whelps . There is not one owner or pup I ever forgot . They were family .

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your insights and responses so much. I just e-mailed Zippy's breeder with an update and explained everything as best I could. He and his partner have always been extremely supportive and helpful--and I know he knows how much I love Zippy--I've sent him photos of our adventures over the past few months and he even knows how I drove him 3 1/2 hours to his original vet to be neutered because of their experience with Manchesters and their anesthesia sensitivity.
I know I will hear from him soon as he is always quick with his responses to my messages. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes--thank you all again.

C

cindr

Well the way I look at it is this was an accident, and not intentional. So if anything the breeder would understand. Now if it were the other way around then yes I would be afraid to contact the breeder.

Not a big deal, you have done everything for the dog, and that to me is responsible. If I were the breeder, and this happened I would offer you another pup! Why? Because, you and your husband have taken the insight to care for the first one unconditionally. Good job.

I heard back from Zippy's breeder. As you all said he was very understanding. He was glad I told him about it and glad Zippy is now doing well--He even said Zippy was a lucky boy to have me. Its kind of a relief to have that off my chest now. Hopefully my next update to him will be that we are back in obedience school and working on our CD and CGC or something! Thanks again everybody--it was especially great to hear from the breeders.

BSan

So glad Zippy is doing well. Things can happen so quickly.
When I first got my puppy, I started getting him used to being in the car. I opened the car door and Herbie jumped over my back in an instant, and onto the street. I am really careful, but he was too fast. I was not used to the standard poodle part in him. He can leap, and climb up on things my labs could not or did not do. I soon found out. Thankfully with some adrenaline, and hurting my knee, I got a hold of him, before something happened. I am so sorry your dog got hit by a car.......thank God he is ok.
I quickly started some training that I am still working on. He does not leave my car without an ok, and I have him leashed......teaching him to wait. I am also working on him not going out my front door (he is also leashed), without me going out first, and then he has to wait until I say ok. I have much more work to do, but for his safety, I really need to keep training, esp. not wanting him to run out my front door when someone comes in. We live in the city, so the streets are real busy. Hopefully we will be going to obedience classes in November, and learn even more with distraction. Again, glad Zippy is ok, and glad the breeders on this site could give you some encouragement.

Thanks Bsan. I really appreciate your well wishes for Zippy. I'm also glad your pup did not get hurt. It is amazing how fast things can happen. I too am always working on training with Zippy. Of course we can't do too much at the moment until his pelvis is completely healed. Prior to the accident though, we were actively doing lots of obedience. He even has a very strong recall---the problem is that he will only listen to me-- he is not very responsive to my husband--that has not been easy to resolve. However, my husband and I both agree if I go away again and Zippy can not come with me, he is going to a professional pet sitter--hubby just doesn't want to be responsible for him again and I understand completely! These pups can certainly keep us on our toes! Good luck with your dog. He sounds adorable!

Members online

No members online now.