Chic

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I don't think it's ever a shame when people take a test that can be used as a breeding tool to help them improve. Pass or fail, they got out there and tried and hopefully learned something in the process that will help them do better either in breeding or just in raising future dogs. (Because the way they are raised and socialized is also a part of what you see in the WAE, not just inherent qualities.)

Besides, does one have to pass all of the other tests to be in there? I don't think so. How does one "pass" a vWD test, for eg? As you know, Kim, even an affected dog can have a long and prosperous life and can be bred so as not to pass on the affected status to any offspring.

It's all information. I don't think it does any good to point fingers at it being good or bad information. Pointing fingers when someone doesn't pass something like the WAE doesn't exactly encourage them to want to do it in the future with other dogs.

Anyway, as to the original question, no, my dogs don't have CHIC numbers. All of the required health testing is done. Since I live in Canada and don't have *easy* access to the WAEs, my dogs are taken through Temperament Tests administered by Temperament Test Associates here in Canada and therefore do not quality for the CHIC program.
Exactly. Im in Canada too. Jazz passed her TT, but finding a WAE test in almost imposible here. She will be ding her Cerf next, then Thyroid/VwD at the same time (our vet will do it and send it in and take care of all papper work :D) then hips/elbows. Hopefully Cardio shortly after she's two. I just have to get into a clinic that is near by.

She will be ding her Cerf next, then Thyroid/VwD at the same time (our vet will do it and send it in and take care of all papper work
Vets don't do the DNA test for vWD. Any vWD testing done at the vet's office will be the Elisa assay blood test, which is rather unreliable and is influenced by hormones, illness, stress, handling error, etc. It's also considered unreliable because it changes from day to day, month to month. It doesn't give you your dog's DNA status. You order the DNA kit for vWD from VetGen.
http://www.vetgen.com

Don't waste your money on an Elisa test at the vet's office. The Elisa test has value immediately prior to surgical situations but doesn't have value to determine breeding strategies.

Members online

No members online now.