A definate new sticky

Mach1girl

Check into the link I provided in the health section, and sticky it in the breeding section. This is a little known disease that is slowly wiping out ALL of our breeds. After researching it for 5 hours, it is popping up in many breeds, and eventually will show up everywhere, no breed will ever be able to be bred. Many universities and even in the UK are requiring you to provide pedigree lines where the mutant gene shows up, and are banning those pedigrees from the country.
It is scarey, and its coming.

Cerrbellum Ataxia

moe

Erm I seem to be missing something here I just read that link, and it appears to be related to Amstaffs? they were as far as I could see the only breed mentioned, if this is right then how do you conclude that it effects all breeds?

and if its hereditory then I would imagine it would only effect dogs that have been bred from effected Amstaffs?

Mo

Mach1girl

www.wobblyscotties.com/wobbly_scotties_015.htm
www.itspinone.com/ATAXIA.Html
www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/ataxia/coton.htm
jrt-research.com/research/ataxia-faq.html

Just to name a few sites. I have seen links regarding the disease in Poodles and Labs as well.
Yes, the pup has to be born to 2 parents that possess the gene. However it skips generations. In my pedigree there are several dogs that are dual registered as American Staffs ANd APBT. To have an APBT registered with the AKC, it has to be Am Staff, to register the Am Staff with the UKC as an APBT, just a pedigree and picture need submitted and judged. So, I guess many APBT have AM STAFF blood somewhere.
It is scarey, you can do more research, just do a search on "Dog Ataxia" or "Cerrebellum Ataxia" and see what you find out.

moe

so as I am a lazy so and so lol if say there are no recorded cases in my breed then so long as I dont x breed to a breed that is known to have had this problem found then my breed "should " be OK? shouldnt it?

Mo

Mach1girl

yes, as long as there are no known cases in your breed thus far.
I am leary however, in the Am Satff society, there are only 44 cases reported up until now. Which means many people are nto reporting it due to lack of recognition. AND WTF are the chances that MY DIXIE carried the gene, AND the stud that my husband chose is a carrier as well???REALLY slim if ya ask me!

moe

I suppose it confirms that no matter what you do, breeding is a lottery, something somewhere can and will pop up out of the blue.

Mo

PFC1

Mach1girl said:
AND WTF are the chances that MY DIXIE carried the gene, AND the stud that my husband chose is a carrier as well???REALLY slim if ya ask me!
There are only two possibilities, either they both do, or they both do not. Thus, the chances are either 0% or 100%. (No, I really am not trying to be a smart ass here.) The problem is you don't which it is yet.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Mach1girl said:
www.wobblyscotties.com/wobbly_scotties_015.htm
www.itspinone.com/ATAXIA.Html
www.caninegeneticdiseases.net/ataxia/coton.htm
jrt-research.com/research/ataxia-faq.html

Just to name a few sites. I have seen links regarding the disease in Poodles and Labs as well.
Yes, the pup has to be born to 2 parents that possess the gene. However it skips generations. In my pedigree there are several dogs that are dual registered as American Staffs ANd APBT. To have an APBT registered with the AKC, it has to be Am Staff, to register the Am Staff with the UKC as an APBT, just a pedigree and picture need submitted and judged. So, I guess many APBT have AM STAFF blood somewhere.
It is scarey, you can do more research, just do a search on "Dog Ataxia" or "Cerrebellum Ataxia" and see what you find out.
Sounds alot like CNM
Here is a link for CNM
http://www.labradorcnm.com

R

RedyreRottweilers

So what about Hip Dysplasia, Hereditary eye diseases, and hereditary cardiac abnormalities?

These are widely known to occur in many breeds including APBTs and AmStaffs.

Heart problems are RAMPANT in AmStaffs and APBTs.

It is relatively simple and inexpensive to test breeding stock for these issues.

Mach1girl

RedyreRottweilers said:
So what about Hip Dysplasia, Hereditary eye diseases, and hereditary cardiac abnormalities?

These are widely known to occur in many breeds including APBTs and AmStaffs.

Heart problems are RAMPANT in AmStaffs and APBTs.

It is relatively simple and inexpensive to test breeding stock for these issues.
However~You cannot test for the disease I am referring to, therefore, it is a gamble!

Fran27

Hopefully it will be possible at some point. For now, let's hope the breeders do the right thing and neuter the parents and all the puppies.

bubbatd

No it's not cheap to check, but any breeders who are worth anything will do ALL testing that COULD be within their breed.

R

RedyreRottweilers

My point exactly, bubbatd.

Mach1girl, even tho the appropriate health testing was not done on your bitch prior to breeding, you can and SHOULD still do it as soon as possible, and you should strongly encourage the stud dog owner to do so as well.

It would be very important information for your puppy owners to have about the health status of the parents of their puppy.

Members online

No members online now.