Dog Want Is Contagious

Airn

It seems like everyone is getting a puppy/foster/new dog on Chaz. It's definitely caught me.

We're moving in a couple of months. Which means Gwen will lose her cat friend and play mate, Charlie. After getting her I thought getting another dog to keep her company and help with several of her issues would be a great idea. Then I thought better of it.

But now, with us moving into a decent size apartment that has a weight limit of 50 lbs instead of the usual....5, it made me entertain the thought of another dog seriously.

I'll be able to take her out a LOT more, with us not living so far out and not having a yard to play in, anyway. I've heard two dogs aren't that much different than 1?

I don't want a puppy. Gwen is turning 2 this spring and I would prefer to get a small breed dog around her age (under 5). And another dog would be a pet. We might dabble in dog sports with Gwen, but that's more for fun and bonding than anything.

Convince me I'm crazy and I don't need/shouldn't get a second dog. :rofl1:

(This is for all the other wanters out there, too! ;) )

Edit: Here are a couple of dogs on my 'list' right now. Soooo cute.

DJEtzel

Haha, I don't think that two dogs is much worse than one, but THREE dogs is much worse than two and much harder.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I have absolutely ZERO dog want lol. I didn't mind going from 1 to 2 dogs. But going from 2 to 3? I get a little frazzled sometimes. Many times.
:p

In fact, I can send you all 3 of mine for a little while if you'd like. I could use a vacation. :lol-sign:

Airn

I have absolutely ZERO dog want lol. I didn't mind going from 1 to 2 dogs. But going from 2 to 3? I get a little frazzled sometimes. Many times.
:p

In fact, I can send you all 3 of mine for a little while if you'd like. I could use a vacation. :lol-sign:
I'll take Happy :D She's the easy one, right? ;)

My boyfriend is... well he finds it easier to find flaws in dogs than I do. I think a big reason we (I) haven't gotten another dog is because I want him to be all "Awwww" over it. But our... tastes? are different. And he is NOT a small dog person. Throw him a mini husky and he'd snatch it up, but normal or common small dog breeds? He's not interested.

I haven't even shown him the two I'm drooling over yet. I don't want him to criticize them :(

I don't think I could handle three, to be honest. At least not anytime soon. I DO want to foster, so there MAY be 3 with a foster, but I'm just not enough of a 'dog person' to handle three at once. And I think my BF would kill me if did have three. But two? We could do two. I think we fight (we don't 'fight' but there are some jealously issues) over Gwen and maybe having another dog would help that? Among other things.

For those with more than 1 one (which is most of you!) what are the pros and cons? If you and your SO are dog people, did it/does it help to have more than one so you can 'share'?

I can't believe I'm giving my dog only child syndrome. :lol-sign:

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Going from just Ozzy to Ozzy and Enzo wasn't difficult. One dog for each of us to walk, play with feed, train, ect wasn't hard, and the difficulty factor was mitigated by Enzo being a relatively easy dog compared to Ozzy.

Going from two to three was a lot more work, and a lot harder in terms of figuring out what was who and who does what and when and who to take, but again, Ozzy is limited in what he's allowed to do because of DA, so the two easier dogs got to go places, and Oz got one on one time at home.

With four dogs, everything changed, but stayed the same. The dogs ended up naturally pairing off, they have their own buddy/playmate, and when they all do decide to play together, it works out just fine because of the temperaments of each individual dog.

So one to two wasn't terribly hard. Two to three was harder. Three to four was a lot easier. This is how you end up with four dogs. :p

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Going from just Ozzy to Ozzy and Enzo wasn't difficult. One dog for each of us to walk, play with feed, train, ect wasn't hard, and the difficulty factor was mitigated by Enzo being a relatively easy dog compared to Ozzy.

Going from two to three was a lot more work, and a lot harder in terms of figuring out what was who and who does what and when and who to take, but again, Ozzy is limited in what he's allowed to do because of DA, so the two easier dogs got to go places, and Oz got one on one time at home.

With four dogs, everything changed, but stayed the same. The dogs ended up naturally pairing off, they have their own buddy/playmate, and when they all do decide to play together, it works out just fine because of the temperaments of each individual dog.

So one to two wasn't terribly hard. Two to three was harder. Three to four was a lot easier. This is how you end up with four dogs. :p
Your experience from one to two to three sounds somewhat similar to mine. Going from one to two wasn't too bad at all for us and Cricket was a pretty easy pup. Going from two to three has been harder and there are so many times I wonder if I made the right choice to keep Joey. But... I do adore him and almost as soon as the thought of regret pops into my head so does the thought of adoration. Joey and Cricket tend to get to go places way more since Bamm is not great in most situations. I do notice they get frustrated when they try to play together though. If Cricket and Joey are playing, Bamm is frustrated. If Cricket and Bamm are playing, Joey is frustrated and tries to weave his way in. If Bamm and Joey are playing which doesn't happen often then Cricket is sometimes frustrated. Sometimes I do wonder if eventually moving up to four dogs would level things out a bit, but I worry about how hard it could potentially wind up being adding another to this crew at some point.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Involve yourself in expensive sports and feed stupid costly food, that helps detour puppy wants too.

Oh and try going on vacation and not taking all four. That sucks. Or take all four. That sucks.

I still want a puppy but this helps my wants.

Maliraptors puppy videos however do not. DO NOT NEED CRAZY BOY PUPPY, do not.

Jenne

Ball Thrower
Chase being the easiest puppy on the planet makes me want a new puppy. Good thing I rent and my landlord wouldn't allow me to have a second dog, though he is partly at fault for me getting a puppy in the first place. He kept insisting his dog needed a playmate, lol. I was trying to hold off until I was employed again. But it ended up working out as I had 6 months where I was home all day to work on house training and other issues. I still want a puppy though...

Airn

Involve yourself in expensive sports and feed stupid costly food, that helps detour puppy wants too.

Oh and try going on vacation and not taking all four. That sucks. Or take all four. That sucks.

I still want a puppy but this helps my wants.

Maliraptors puppy videos however do not. DO NOT NEED CRAZY BOY PUPPY, do not.
I dont feed expensive food. But I am planning on getting Gwen into an agility course this year. But thats not very expensive either....

Vacations WOULD be difficult. But we never go anywhere :lol-sign:

BF did just nix the cocker spaniel. I feel like his taste are the only thing getting in thw way of another dog.

I shouldnt be looking yet. We dont even move until May. :yikes:

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I dont feed expensive food. But I am planning on getting Gwen into an agility course this year. But thats not very expensive either....

Vacations WOULD be difficult. But we never go anywhere :lol-sign:

BF did just nix the cocker spaniel. I feel like his taste are the only thing getting in thw way of another dog.

I shouldnt be looking yet. We dont even move until May. :yikes:

But mays only like 2 months away ;)

Red Chrome

I think 3 is the perfect number for me. Too expensive for more with the sports and things I do.

Members online

No members online now.