The 1st step is admitting you have a problem.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
And I have a problem!! I'm turning into a big fat fatty and I can't stop!

I have to accept I've gone up a clothes size now :(

I normally can get a hold of things and stop eating crap, but I'm struggling... so I'm joining slimming world tomorrow for some support.

There, I said it!!!

It's hit the peak, time to start feeling good about how I look again, and more importantly about how I fit i feel!!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I've been getting myself put back to where I want to be as well!

Admitting is the first step, now you've got a game plan. Just stick with it and go enjoy that Welsh countryside more!

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Good luck Dizzy! Losing weight is an incredible thing.

Here is how Tanya and I did it. (She lost about 90 lbs, I lost 40.)

www.sparkpeople.com

You put in what you weigh, what you WANT to weigh and when you want to get there. It then asks you a few other questions about your lifestyle. It then produces your plan. How many calories, how many fats, carbs, etc...

Then its on YOU to stick to it. That is how, IMO, it works. If you WANT to lose the weight you will. No gimmicks, no 'special' food, none of the usual 'rules and no crazy 'supplements'. It just becomes your lifestyle. Even now, after we are not really playing the "game", we just eat a certain way and we are maintaining our goal weights.

Some things that really helped us? Lowfat microwave popcorn for evening snacks. Cutting out a lot of carbs, having meat and veggie only meals. Less booze. ( I know, I know.... LOL) Most of all... NO FAST FOOD and no regular pop. Eat meals you prepare yourself.

Good luck. It will change your life. :)

LindaJD

I just realized I have gained 20 pounds in the last year, oh I knew I had gained some but I guess I was in denial about how much. I was at my perfect weight this time last year, I hope to get back to it by mid summer.

I can't recommend belly dancing too highly! My teacher has moved to Asheville, but I invested in a couple of DVDs (she told me that's how she started when I talked to her last) and this is the ONLY kind of workout that has ever, EVER made this kind of impact, this fast and thoroughly. Burns a ton of calories, too. And it makes you feel . . . ;)

It changes the way you carry yourself, too. Your walk, posture, everything.

Doberluv

You can do it! Some great tips given already. What has helped me too, although I still have some more to lose, is getting interested in cooking, using loads of veggies and healthy meats. I lost initially about 40 lbs. Experimenting with lots of herbs and trying a lot of variety has been pretty fun. I love sea food so living near Seattle, there is always lots of good, fresh fish, especially salmon, my fav.

Anyhow, once you get on the roll, you'll do it. What I've done is basically cut out a lot of the bad carbs, white flour etc, lower the fat, but not eliminate it, increased veggies big time and use nice, fairly lean meats, fish, beans...stuff like that. I lost the majority by counting calories pretty much, but now I'm just estimating and not being quite stringent enough, so I'm a little stuck here with another 10 or more lbs to go. 10 first. Then maybe another 5-10. It's really hard when you get older...everything just slows way down. arrrggg. Plus, going out a couple times a month at least, (eating pizza and Thai food with those wide rice noodles) doesn't help, especially when you add beer to the equation. And chocolate here and there. Eh-hem...have issues with chocolate. :eek:

Lots of exercise is good too. I don't care what "they" say about it not helping to lose weight. (well, maybe not so much weight, but fat) I think it does. Plus, it is so good for you for many reasons. I got to the Y most days and do a variety of things. Haven't tried belly dancing. They offer it. Today it was fun at the pool. There were only 2 other people in it. Had the locker room to myself and the Jacuzzi too.

So, maybe that thing Puck posted would be a help to you. Good luck. You can do it! Just dive in and start having fun with cooking. Play with it, try interesting things that are healthy and not too fattening. Fill up with lots of fiber and lots of water too. Go for it! :)

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I use My Fitness Pal too. I use it as a carb counter. I am really bad at this diabetes thing, and if it wasn't for myfitnesspal I would have probably gone into a coma from DKA repeatedly by now. I add up the carbs I am eating, and then use an insulin to carb ratio to inject a bolus.

Incidentally, this is a great weight loss program, since eating anything is a huge hassle, and fraught with difficulties due to my frequent errors.

***Addendum- I do need to mention that since last year, when I was on long acting insulin only, I gained 25 evil pounds. I have lost five of them again in the last month.

Last edited:

Dekka

Just try me..
I too use my fitness pal, well on and off. Pssst Renee what is your user name? You can do it Dizzy :D

Taqroy

I can't recommend belly dancing too highly! My teacher has moved to Asheville, but I invested in a couple of DVDs (she told me that's how she started when I talked to her last) and this is the ONLY kind of workout that has ever, EVER made this kind of impact, this fast and thoroughly. Burns a ton of calories, too. And it makes you feel . . . ;)

It changes the way you carry yourself, too. Your walk, posture, everything.
Would you mind sharing the DVD names? I'm super interested in belly dancing but I'm really uncoordinated and not very willing to embarrass myself in a class room. Lol.

I love this one http://www.amazon.com/Tribal-Fusion-Isolations-Drills-Bellydance/dp/B000621452

Her instructions are amazing and easy to follow and she includes intervals of yoga stretches that strengthen and lengthen those core muscles.

I am ordering this set as well. I've seen some previews of it and I love it http://www.amazon.com/From-Zoe-disc...TF8&coliid=I317WS7STIKK7I&colid=3R4YLETAKLAJV

There are some that are more geared toward workouts, but I prefer the ones that are aimed at learning the actual dance, especially since I have found even in the past with contemporary dance classes that the actual dance practice is a far better workout than the "workout!"

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I failed at the 1st hurdle...!! I didn't go. I went to see a friend after work, and then got home late (with 10 mins to spare) and didn't go!!

It's like I have a mental block. I probably need to lose about 2 stone (24lbs) maybe 2.5 stone (31lbs).. probably not even that much - I am not after being skinny especially!

But I have some mental block. My housemate is a trained counsellor - I have told her to give me some therapy LOL

thehoundgirl

I feel for you. I am doing Zumba to help me lose weight. It isn't for everyone though, it's very intense cardio. You can burn up to 800 - 1,000 calories an hour.

I take classes once a week (plan on taking two in the future.) and have the zumba game as well. My instructor is awesome, I think I have lost a bit of weight from starting Zumba in the middle of February but I can't say how much. It's totally FUN and you don't even feel like it's a work out because you're dancing. It also makes you very happy, atleast it makes me really happy.

If you are uncomfortable taking classes in front of everyone (I was believe me, but my instructor and the girls in my class are very supportive and I am very comfortable with them now.), you can buy the DVDs online on http://www.zumba.com and just work out an hour or two a day. Zumba isn't going to do it all for you but it will certainly help. :)

If you're unsure what Zumba is:
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/about/

You can also find classes in your area, there are a few like I would say 4 in my town but I am totally comfortable in the class I am in. My instructor is from Argentina which I think is awesome. :)
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/parties/search/

DVDs if you don't want to do it in a class setting. I don't think they are very much!
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/shop/category/dvd_s/

You can do this, zumba is just a suggestion I have since I love it so much and am addicted! But we're all behind you. :) Another suggestion, maybe you can offer to walk shelter dogs at a shelter and take them on long walks? That will certainly help too. :) Good luck!

Taqroy

I love this one http://www.amazon.com/Tribal-Fusion-Isolations-Drills-Bellydance/dp/B000621452

Her instructions are amazing and easy to follow and she includes intervals of yoga stretches that strengthen and lengthen those core muscles.

I am ordering this set as well. I've seen some previews of it and I love it http://www.amazon.com/From-Zoe-disc...TF8&coliid=I317WS7STIKK7I&colid=3R4YLETAKLAJV

There are some that are more geared toward workouts, but I prefer the ones that are aimed at learning the actual dance, especially since I have found even in the past with contemporary dance classes that the actual dance practice is a far better workout than the "workout!"
Thanks Renee! And yeah, I would want to learn the real dance - if I feel like I'm just working out I'm much less likely to do it. :p

Dekka

Just try me..
I failed at the 1st hurdle...!! I didn't go. I went to see a friend after work, and then got home late (with 10 mins to spare) and didn't go!!

It's like I have a mental block. I probably need to lose about 2 stone (24lbs) maybe 2.5 stone (31lbs).. probably not even that much - I am not after being skinny especially!

But I have some mental block. My housemate is a trained counsellor - I have told her to give me some therapy LOL

While exercise is very important, diet is more important when it comes to weight loss. So even if you can't motivate yourself to go exercise right away, if you change your eating habits you will still see progress :)

Members online