Another multiple dog thread.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
LOL mine don't freak out :p

Well, Kimma used to a bit (but she had gone from being an only dog to one of three in like 7 months), but I've worked with her and now she usually just goes in a down-stay while I'm working another (good training for her anyway). The others are fine in their crates, usually with something yummy. If it's in the morning and they haven't had their walks yet they can be a little whiny, but nothing ridiculous.

Taqroy

Aw GUYS!! I wanted you to say this wasn't common!!! Lol

My problem is that I can't have a dog barking in an apartment building every time they are left behind!
Lol. Would Frodo still bark if you left him with the most delicious thing in the history of ever? I tend to just let my dogs bark if they want but I live in a house. If I lived in an apartment...I'd buy stock in a bully stick company. LOL.

It depends a bit on what we're doing. I really don't let all three dogs out in the yard together so they're used to going outside in various combinations and really don't complain.

If it's obvious that I'm getting ready for something like a walk, everyone will get pretty excited until it's clear exactly who's going and occasionally I'll hear some fussing from whoever stays home, but it doesn't seem to last long and they're always asleep when I get back. Again, they're used to going in various combinations from 1-3 so maybe they figure there's always next time.

SaraB

Lol. Would Frodo still bark if you left him with the most delicious thing in the history of ever? I tend to just let my dogs bark if they want but I live in a house. If I lived in an apartment...I'd buy stock in a bully stick company. LOL.
This. You can work through it, it's not one of those things that magically gets better but it is a very workable problem in my eyes. And I have the neediest, clingiest Great Dane in the world. LOL

Doberluv

I've never had that with any of my dogs. They just sort of go with the flow. But it was a whole other story with my two mares. When I'd go off riding with one, the other threw a tizzy fit and would get so worked up, she'd be in a sweat when I got back. Poor thing. I guess it sounds like something you'd have to try and condition the dog to gradually, with very short absences over and over again successively and building up to longer absences....in and out of rooms, out to the front porch and right back in, over and over....not letting it seem like a big deal when you come back in. You might even need to try a little rescue remedy or something. These very social animals sure do get riled up sometimes when their family group disperses. I wonder if the herding dogs have it worse than some of the others.

Mine don't freak out anymore. I will just crate (or in Missy's case, shut in a bedroom) the one(s) who are staying, give them a stuffed Kong or food toy of some sort, and then leave with the other one. They're normally fairly engrossed in the "OMG FOOD" thing that they don't notice I'm leaving, or they just don't care.

But then again, this is the routine whenever I leave. They also can't see each other (Missy's barricaded in one room, Jack's crated in another, and fosters are crated in the living room), and they also can't see my physically leave the house with another dog.

Members online

No members online now.