Met one of my favorite breeds today!!

Picklepaige

I volunteered at the animal shelter today, and these people came in to show off their dog that they adopted a year ago. When they adopted their puppy, he was ten weeks old and the shelter had him labeled as a golden retriever mix. Well, when the guy brought his dog in to show us, that dog wasn't a golden retriever mix, it was a purebred great pyrenees!! Talk about a case of mistaken identity! Anyway, he was MASSIVE, and soo sweet. I, of course, was spazzing out because I was actually petting a pyr, one of my favorite breeds. This was my first time meeting one. I find it weird that we had a purebred 10-week-old pyrenees at the shelter. I can just imagine their surprise when their golden retriever puppy kept growing and growing and growing until they found out what it really was.

Paige

Let it be
AWH!

My mom's neighbors have one to guard their flock. I'd never dare enter his zone but I do admire him over the fence every now and again.

WHat a shock that must have been. I know a fe great pyrs from the dog park. All are such sweet dogs (atleast the ones I have met)

SharkBait

When i read the 1st part about the pup being labelled a golden mix, i thought you were gonna say it was a Hovawart!! Cause i loves them, but never actually saw one in real life!
*ATTENTION* Does anyone here have a HOVAWART??

But Great Pyrenees are cute too lol.

wishbone

Picklepaige you completely forgot to bring a camera for him. :eek:

Anyway, I'm also a great pyrs fan, my cousin got one and I visit him every other weekend and he always get me excited.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
GP are amazingly sweet, but very protective with their flock.

Anywhoo, my trainer has two to gaurd her flock and I'm trying to convinse a friend he needs one for his farm. HUGE babies :D

ETA: Just saw you say this....
these people came in to show off their dog that they adopted a year ago.
If the dog is only a year, I'd bet he's not done growing yet. LOL!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
GP are amazingly sweet, but very protective with their flock.
Eh, depends what lines you get from.
There's some who guard flocks around here that I wouldn't dare mess with. But I've also met quite a few show line ones who couldn't care less, a friend of mine actually has a 4 year old male and somebody broke into their house and he didn't do anything. LOL

I helped out a local Pyr Rescue a few months ago at an adoption day when I thought I had to be there for 4H. Turns out I didn't and there was nobody there I knew and I had no way of getting home so I spent the day with the Pyrs! Great dogs but I doubt I'd ever own one :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Eh, depends what lines you get from.
There's some who guard flocks around here that I wouldn't dare mess with. But I've also met quite a few show line ones who couldn't care less,
Oh, of course. A lot of it depends on how their brought up, if they are given the responsibility of a flock to watch/protect they will be more protective. But most show lines are going to be pretty pasive - because they don't have a job (as in watching a flock).

Just for record, my trainer's boy is sweeter than sweet with people but has on more than one occassion chased off harm. It's not that they wouldn't be sweet with people, but more of things that would harm.

Members online

No members online now.