Best marketing practice for breeders?

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Dont blame a website b/c of irrisponsible breeders
Those irresponsible breeders are what help keep that website up....Of course its the websites fault....There should NEVER NEVER be websites for the buying and selling of any animal....

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
Well your wrong there me a child has rescued many unwanted animals. I got my dog by taking in an abandoned pregnant dog. Whose last meal was pieces of rubber she later vomited up. I have taken in beat cats with cuts and open gaping wounds.who didnt trust a soul even though Im allergic and found them homes. I am studying to be a vet and I am going to run a no kill shelter. I do know animals pain

Julie

I am back again.
canadianmandy said:
Your definition is so true yet it can be implied to any breeder. Um yes there is a way to keep the bad from the good its called researching the people who want to adopt. sign contracts. and no you do not just hit a buttun and the dog gets shipped. I Know I will be shot for this but I have put a puppy for adoption there and I have found the most excelent home for her.once again it dependes on the seller. A responsible person will follow through and do their research. It is now not aloud to list whole litters there. You can only list individuals. Dont blame a website b/c of irrisponsible breeders.
You might think it is an excellent home, but tell me, how do you really know?
Did you meet them? Did you visit their home? Did they visit yours?
How far away do they live? ...........and How much did you sell your pup for?
Did you make any money?

I could tell you all kinds of wonderful things......but for all you know your pup will be in a research lab by next thursday.

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
I must say I love your pet pics in your sig!
She lives in the next state over and yes I am planning a visit. I did not make anything on the puppy in fact If anything I lost. I "sold" her for $75 but the check was spent on her crate and vet checkups and shots and of coarse her food and toys. And it is very sad the untrust you have in people.

Julie

I am back again.
canadianmandy said:
I must say I love your pet pics in your sig!
She lives in the next state over and yes I am planning a visit. I did not make anything on the puppy in fact If anything I lost. I "sold" her for $75 but the check was spent on her crate and vet checkups and shots and of coarse her food and toys. And it is very sad the untrust you have in people.
Thank you for my sig. compliment!
They are my four legged babies.

I do hope you follow up with the visit.

I don't have much trust in people. Take a look at the world and wonder why would anybody trust anyone, especially on the internet with basically no reprecustions for all the misjustice and lies caked everywhere.

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
How did you make that sig?
I know there is alot of bad out there but there is alot of good to. I think it comes from looking through the eyes of someone who thinks there is some good in everybody. It just depends if you want to find bad. You will. If its good you seek well you will find that to. Im not naive maybe Im just someones who has been hurt but still wants to see good in a failing world. DO your extra homework work hard and all will be fine.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Any breeder who advertises on petfinder.com or ANYTHING like it is a BYB. RESCUES are different.

A good breeder needs only word of mouth or advertising the kennel in a breed magazine like Doberman Digest or the like.

Freddie

What does everyone think about a store that sells puppies? Are they evil b/c they are using puppies to make profit or can we look at it as someone making a living doing something they love, which is helping puppies find good homes?

rottnpagan

Rottweiler Queen
Freddie said:
What does everyone think about a store that sells puppies? Are they evil b/c they are using puppies to make profit or can we look at it as someone making a living doing something they love, which is helping puppies find good homes?
It's nothing more than a puppy mill brokerage. I *WILL NOT* support a store that sells puppies.

Julie

I am back again.
Freddie said:
No, the stores are not evil, but the profit seeking owners are the blameees.

But you see they are not finding "good" homes. They are impluse buyers that see an adorable pup, but find out several months later it was much more than they bargined for. So the cute pet shop pup ends up in a shelter, with behavior problems and not so cute anymore.
Not to mention the pet shops stoop to buying from puppy mills or backyard breeders. Because their profit margin is much higher and a good breeder would not consider selling to them.

bubbatd

They are evil !!! When I was breeding and saw Goldens in a pet store for twice I was charging...I checked on papers, health, OFA, CERF etc....none... just AKC if there was any. I mentioned I was to have a litter soon ( to see what they would say ) and they said they never pay more than $50 for a pup !!! They must mark up 1000 % ! Granted, this was a long time ago .... might be interesting to see what they do today ! ( NO---- I would never do that !!! ----mine were all sold )

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
I dont like pet stores in that they lie about the age of the puppies and those small cages they are stuck in all day. also I always wonder what happens if one isnt picked. We got a beagle froma pet store to save him from the unwanted. he had a kink in his tail like he had a door slammed on it. We supposidly got a good deal on him b/c of his "flaw". We lived in the city and we knew we couldnt meet his needs so we interveiwed peopla and he was given to a farmer with some other beagles and he was taught to hunt! And became the best Rabbit dog! I cant help but go in a pet store and look through all those sad eyes and pick the most depressed and give him or her a half hour play. But my worst pet peeve is that at the pet store where I lived the puppies were given towls to play with. I asked why and they said it was to kill to birds with one stone. It made a cheap play toy and as he or she played it cleaned up their pee.and when they bath them these tiny puppies are stuck back in there cages shaking cold b/c they are still wet and they place a fan in front to "dry them" I use fans to cool my house! umm duh?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Freddie said:
That's the problem, they don't help puppies find good homes. They help puppies go to who ever forks out the cash for it, or qualifies for FINANCING (!). They take little to no care of their dogs (no health checks, very few checkups and/or appropriate shots), and usually help to foster some sort of behavioral problem, whether it be phobias or aggression from lack of socializiation, or an increased difficulty in housebreaking because the dog has gotten so used to eliminating where ever it wants to. Also, just about every single dog you see in a pet store is WAY too young to be seperated from it's mother. Stores are out for profits, and with dogs, profits ride on the cuteness factor. This "peaks" between 5-8 weeks, so many puppies are taken from their mothers/litter around 4-6 weeks to hit that mark and increase the liklihood of tugging on someone's heartstrings. Puppies should not leave the mother before the age of 8 weeks.

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Freddie said:
Stores that sell puppies only support puppy mills which most dogs spend thier lives reproducing.
Very very sad lifestyle for the dogs.
If they love dogs they will not support mills by buying them at reduced priced to make a profit.
Breeding is not a money making lifestyle.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I dont like pet stores in that they lie about the age of the puppies and those small cages they are stuck in all day. also I always wonder what happens if one isnt picked. We got a beagle froma pet store to save him from the unwanted.
I noticed how you said nothing about the conidtions that the mother of those pups probably live in. Not to mention the poor quality and health problems the pups are going to have.

corsomom

Pet stores dont care one bit about the puppies, its just money.They get the pups from puppy mills and very unethical breeders. The only way to end this disgusting business is to not buy from them.With all the info out there I dont understand why anyone would buy from a petstore.

joce

Canadian mandy,wasn't it you letting your dogs breed and not wanting to fix them...........but you do rescue:confused:

dogs from stores and the paper are generally not the best thing. the best breeders have lists and have room to pick and choose who will get a pup.

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
joce said:
Canadian mandy,wasn't it you letting your dogs breed and not wanting to fix them...........but you do rescue:confused:

dogs from stores and the paper are generally not the best thing. the best breeders have lists and have room to pick and choose who will get a pup.

Ummm My dog had a silent heat I wasnt home at the time (she was several months early) came home from west virginia (I live in Mo) and discovered she was going to have puppies. I will not spay my dog it is my choice and that has been argues about in a previous thread which has been locked b/c ppl went nuts. Yes I do do rescues I dont see a problem in that and I dont see why you do. I rescue and rehome (and have kept several pets). If they want to fix they can. Ill have you know we do spay some of our rescuees that we keep. Im just not spaying Love. Please lets not debate about my dog.

bubbatd

My question to anyone.... is " rescuing" a pup from the HS for $50. better than " rescuing " from a pet store at $500, ??? Both are from BYBs ...no health checks , no socialization , and taken away from their moms way too young. Food for thought.

Members online

No members online now.