Wedding Ring Tattoos

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
My husband and I have the worst luck with wedding rings.

It's not all that safe for him to wear one with the type of work he does for a living (know someone that got their ring caught on equipment and they lost their finger). Plus, his knuckles are much bigger than the base of his fingers so a ring big enough to go over his knuckles is too big once it's over his knuckles. He has lost two wedding rings already that have ended up falling off his fingers.

My wedding ring leaves sores on my finger so I only wear it now once in a while and it will probably end up on a necklace at some point.

We talked about doing tattooed wedding rings a long time ago, but didn't. Our marriage has grown so much this past year and we have learned so much and grown even closer. I know you don't need a ring to be married, but we still want to have something symbolic you know?

Both of us are tattooed people... tattooed rings would very much be "us". I know there's always the argument of "what do you do if you divorce?" I hope it will never ever come to that, but if it by chance did then I'd cover it up with a different tattoo so not something I'm worried about.

That said, I want this to be something simple. My tattooer suggested a knuckle tattoo since doing a ring around the finger will fade on the sides considerably over time.

Right now I'm strongly considering just doing the roman numerals for the date we were married. It's simple, but I want something simple. It would either read X.I.MMX across my knuckle or if the lettering needs to be bigger to make it work then it would say X.I and then the MMX would be below the X.I. I also want it to be black ink.

Curious if anyone on here has done tattooed wedding rings or maybe a tattoo symbolizing your marriage elsewhere. Any other ideas on a wedding ring/knuckle tattoo aside from roman numerals?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't have any ideas, but if I ever get married I am planning on a tattoo of some kind as well. I have some sensory issues with rings so I can't wear one. I haven't really thought it out much beyond knowing I'd like to have something done though. I want it to be subtle... I was thinking names and wedding date really small so it doesn't look like text unless you look up close... dunno how plausible that is though.

milos_mommy

I have a friend with his wedding date tattooed on his wrist in Roman numerals. They keep their marriage kind of a secret...(they say they're boyfriend and girlfriend) and don't wear rings, so it's a personal tattoo...not to show the public they're married.

I'd consider doing it if I got married,but I might be hesitant to get a hand tattoo for professional reasons. If it'd be covered with a ring at work though I might do it.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I have a friend with his wedding date tattooed on his wrist in Roman numerals. They keep their marriage kind of a secret...(they say they're boyfriend and girlfriend) and don't wear rings, so it's a personal tattoo...not to show the public they're married.

I'd consider doing it if I got married,but I might be hesitant to get a hand tattoo for professional reasons. If it'd be covered with a ring at work though I might do it.
Why? Not that it's any of my business but that's very odd!

milos_mommy

I'm not exactly sure, I think a number of reasons...they're very untraditional, neither really wanted to get married before meeting each other. Part of it is to avoid pressure and husband/wife stereotypes. She's very very career driven so part of it might be glass-ceiling type stuff? They also don't want children and think if people/family know they're married they'll be pressured to have kids.

Airn

Why? Not that it's any of my business but that's very odd!
Maybe due to the stereotyping that (young) marriage brings?

I've thought many times of just getting married to my SO and not telling anyone. It would be mostly for legal reasons, but I don't want to be married at 20-21. So, I could understand wanting to hide it.

I think the tattoo is a neat idea, but I would agree with MM about making it either very work appropriate or putting it in a different location. I doubt roman numerals on your finger would affect much, but you never know.

(I've also heard of people putting diamonds or gemstones IN their bodies. Like one couple was very outdoorsy and the wife put her wedding stone IN HER WRIST. So.. if you wanna do that... that's different.)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm not worried about the work appropriate part. I have a full on chest piece done and the bottom part of a sleeve done. Kinda late for me to worry about work appropriate lol. I do want something that is simple though which is why I was thinking Roman numerals.

milos_mommy

Both a chest piece and sleeve aren't that difficult to cover. Not even for a day to day job, but say for a meeting or interview or something, it's not that weird to wear a long sleeved jacket with a high collared shirt. It's weird to wear gloves.

Even with longed hair, you can cover tattoos on the back of your neck, or wear shoes that cover foot tattoos. Hands and face are a whole different ballpark.

milos_mommy

My BF has our daughter's birthdate in Roman numerals, but it's a larger tattoo on his chest. I think it looks really nice, but be prepared for people to ask what happened that day.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I, personally, could not do a ring tattoo. However, I've seen other people with them (and some on pinterest) that are pretty neat. I think the roman numerals would definitely be the way to go.

Josh and I do have marriage tattoos, though. We got a bear paw with our anniversary date. I LOVE them, because they are very us and go along with the untraditional ceremony we had, as well as just fit what we were looking for in representing our marriage.

Josh has broke THREE wedding bands in the two years we've been married. He's terrible. I wear my band in a necklace because it is too small and the antler makes my finger turn weird colors and such. I just keep my engagement ring on and call it a day.

k9krazee

Ken's dad has a ring tattoo --- it looks AWFUL ;D He got a band that was supposed to resemble tire tracks and I'm not sure what went wrong but it started fading really quickly and he had it redone and it's thicker and blurrier and looks RIDICULOUS on a 60something man.

I like the Roman numeral idea!

CaliTerp07

My cousin and her husband had tattoos done on their ring fingers instead of traditional rings when they got married in June. She got an owl (his favorite animal) and he got a butterfly (to symbolize her). I teased him that they can't ever get divorced...because it's going to be tough to pick up girls in a bar with a giant butterfly on his finger.

It's definitely not something I'd ever do, but they seem happy with the choice.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
my friend has a finger tattoo and just from her experience, I would advice against it.

she got a small irish design (clauda, sp?) on top of her ring finger and it looked cute at first and now looks like something she got done in prison. Totally faded/blended.. she has to get it touched up once a year for it to look semi decent. I went with her once and the artists said that usually what comes with finger tattoos, especially small ones.
It's not bad looking or horrible.. just not detailed and doesn't keep color well. Kind of looks a bit like a blob sometimes.

a bit like this. Like you can tell what it is and that it's there but the lines never stay clear.

I wish I had pictures of my coworker's "ring" tattoo. It's her husband's initial "S" with a circle around it. Her husband has her initial "A" inside a diamond with an actual ring around his finger. I like them but probably wouldn't opt to do it myself. I don't like tattoos on the hands for myself.

Shakou

We had considered it way back when we first got married. My husband is a musician, and wearing a ring could scratch the crap out of his expensive guitar, and I've just never been into rings. When we first got married, we got rings and put them on a necklace, but it often went right over people's heads. We were still getting hit on by people who didn't grasp we were married until we said so, because they would look at our hands and see no ring, and for us, that kind of thing is annoying as ****.

Finally, we caved and got rings for our fingers. My husband found a ring narrow enough that it wouldn't interfere with his instruments, and I just sucked it up for a while and got use to it lol

Members online

No members online now.