Question about reverse sneezing

My mini pin logan offten go into a fit of reverse sneezeing. My question is what exactly is happing? :confused: an answer would greatly be appreciated.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
It's nothing at all to worry about, it is not in any way dangerous to the dog. Reverse sneezing is caused by a spasm in the soft palette (back of top of dogs mouth, behind the hard roof). It is just forcing your dog to inhale sharply... somewhat like an asthma attack. It can sometimes be triggered by rapid eating or drinking, by running or pulling on a leash, by being excited or frightened although in some cases there is no obvious reason for it. It does NOT mean that your dog is in any kind of respiratory distress. it is most common is small breeds.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I forgot to mention, if you want to help end the episode of reverse sneezing (although it will stop on its own), just rub your dogs neck during the fit... thus inducing swallowing.

How often is your dog having these fits? If its more than a few times a month, you should take him to the vet to be checked for allergies, sinusitis and upper respiratory disorders.

S

Squishy22

Yes, very normal in small breeds because they have small snouts. My chihuahua would do it SEVERAL times a day back when he was a young puppy. Now that he has grown larger, his fits are a few times a week or less, especially after drinking water as he accidentally inhales a little bit of it. His reverse sneazing was so bad that it would cause him to vomit a little bit when he was 8 weeks old and the size of a mouse.

How old is your min pin?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Mine all reverse sneeze as well. It's very common in small breeds with short snouts, like Reggin said. Rylie has actually learned how to do it for attention, even.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
my moms bichon frise does it, probably a couple of times a day and he checked out fine at the vet. he does it when he eats too fast, drinks too fast, or gets to excited too quickly like when going into a fit of barking at the doorbell lol

its nothing to be worried about

yassy

Palette,Corgi,does it once in 2-3 months or so.

I be calm,and with one left hand,I put the head looking up and with my left fingers,I cover the nose hole. Then, with my right hand,I rub the throat slowly.

This usually stops the reverse sneezing in 3 seconds or so. I cover the nose hole because that makes your dog to be able to breathe from mouth.

When sneezing happen,Palette come closer to me because she probably knows mommy can help and stops right away.

Yes, very normal in small breeds because they have small snouts. My chihuahua would do it SEVERAL times a day back when he was a young puppy. Now that he has grown larger, his fits are a few times a week or less, especially after drinking water as he accidentally inhales a little bit of it. His reverse sneazing was so bad that it would cause him to vomit a little bit when he was 8 weeks old and the size of a mouse.

How old is your min pin?
He is five years old. And it only happens about once every month

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
MY BC mix does it all the time as of lately... he does reg sneezing and reverse sneezing... I just figured possibly allergies

All of my dogs have done it at least once in a while, King and Molly maybe once a month or so will have a spell of it. The one who isn't doing it will get panicky while it's happening, but calms down instantly as soon as it stops. My old Beagle, and all of his pups did it a lot, daily at least a few spells of it. It just seemed to run in them for some reason. Didn't ever seem to do then any harm, but it was annoying.

Members online