Name that illness...

Okay, so you have a

Patient: 3 1/2 year old toy poodle, female, spayed.

Symptoms:
* Increased Water Consumption : markedly increased, she can drink an entire bowl down.

* LAZY, no energy... out to potty, otherwise sleeping ALWAYS.

* lost a pound (from 7 to 6 pounds, so it is a lot o weight)

* patches of missing hair on the back of legs (small spots, been there over a year, may or may not be related)

Diagnosis?!

Giny

I hope it isn't Cushings.....that's how Boomer's started. Is it one of the girls? :(

Well I didnt want to put anything in anyones head... but Cushings is what I was thinking also.

Yes, it is Elle.

She went to the vet today for bloodwork, the vet feels she is too young for Cushings but the symptoms just all seem to match up. :sad:

Brattina88

my first guess was diabetes. I don't know much about cushings, though :(
positive vibes coming your way!

Giny

Boomer first started symptoms of Cushings at around that age and was diagnosed at 5 years old. I had other test done on him first when the symptoms first started, test like diabetes and thyroid, but they came up negative. We did the other test first because Boomer was so young. His first Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression Test, for cushings, were borderline....the ones taken 6 months later were decisive.

I hope your baby doesn't have it.....I'll keep her in my thoughts. Even the diagnosis of hypo/hyperthyroidism would be better.

I didnt go to the vet, I noticed the symptoms while I was home and my mom took her to the vet today.

Will regular blood tests not show Cushings? What special tests do?

Giny

Another early symptom with Boomer, even early on, was a voracious appetite. I had to be sure that the garbage was put away because he'd constantly be thinking of it, more then the average dog. What is strange with Boomer is they say one possible symptom with Cushings was weight gain but he has the opposite, and due to the loss of muscle mass (another symptom) it makes him look a lot older then he should be.

Giny

As for his test he first had the Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression Test, and now every 6 months to monitor his cortisol levels he gets the Adrenocorticotropic hormone test (ACTH).

As for his test he first had the Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression Test, and now every 6 months to monitor his cortisol levels he gets the Adrenocorticotropic hormone test (ACTH).
sorry to be totally stupid here... but are those just specific blood tests?

Giny

Yes, it tests the cortisol levels in the blood, which increases with Cushings.

Yes, it tests the cortisol levels in the blood, which increases with Cushings.
ok, thank you.

I really wish... I had been able to take her in when I could go home... hopefully since I told my mom to bring up Cushings and she did, he at least ran these tests. I know she is considered young as far as the average age of onset, but I have read of dogs as young as 2 getting it.

I know he also brought up diabetes and thyroid issues so I am sure he tested for them.

We usually hear back pretty soon from them, so thanks for all the vibes everyone!

Giny

With either of the two tests for Cushings, she'd would have had to have stayed at the vet a few hours. I bring bring Boomer in the morning, they take a first blood test then injected him with something, can't remember what it was called, then redo the blood work later on.

Hugs to Elle, baby girl! Hope it's nothing serious! :(

With either of the two tests for Cushings, she'd would have had to have stayed at the vet a few hours. I bring bring Boomer in the morning, they take a first blood test then injected him with something, can't remember what it was called, then redo the blood work later on.

Hugs to Elle, baby girl! Hope it's nothing serious! :(
I see... guess he is going to try and rule out other things first.

Members online

No members online now.