New to Forum

Kevin45

Devout animal lover
First of all GREAT FORUM. I ran across this forum out of depression. Not a great way to find a forum, that's for sure. Anyways I was doing some reading about certain dog surgeries and ended up here so I thought I would share what is going on. The other day our Golden Retreiver named Brandi had to have her rear leg operated on for a torn ACL. She is in a cast from the top of her leg to the tip of her toe. When she was sent home we (the wife and I) wee told that we would have to help her with pottie duties by using a sling under her belly. We tried to do that but Brandi is overweight and has been ever since we had her fixed. She weighs in at 116lbs. So we give it our best shot but she would not go pottie. We had gotten her home the same day from surgery at about 5:00 in the evening and by 11:00 she had yet went pottie. We had her in and out about 5 times. This was a struggle for both of us as my wife cannot lift too much weight and I have had a total shoulder replacement and doing something like that is painful for me. Anyways early the next morning we took Brandi out and she would not put weight on her other leg. We called the vet and had to rush her down to him. She tore the ACL in her other leg due to trying to put all of her weight on that leg. So now we have to take her to a major clinic for surgery (TPLO) on her other leg. It rather expensive at $3000 but the money is no object. She will be operated on tomorrow, then we pick her up Saturday and take her to the kennel beside out vets office in the next town about 20 minutes away where she will have to spend the next month to 6 weeks for care. They have a staff that will look out for all her needs and we can visit every night. It is lonely around the house at the moment and all kinds of emotions run thru you head, like what could we have done different so this would not have happened. Brandi has no clue, and you feel bad because you take her to the vet one day and now she does not get to even come home for a month. It is tough. And her sister Nikki is just lost without her because all she know is that Brandi is gone. But she will be in good hands. You just can't help but feeling sorry for her though. And I have a real tough time when it comes to animals. At times I think I show more compassion for them than I do another person. A dog will be there for you no matter what. If you are having a bad day, a dog will be there for you and listen to your every word. A lick of the hand and a wag of the tail can turn your whole demeanor around. Then when they do not feel well you feel kind of useless. I guess it is something another dog person understands. Anyways, I just wanted to say I am glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to reading other stories from dog owners. And sorry for the thread being so lengthy but just had to get it off of my chest and talk about it.

Kevin

Brandi & Nikki

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Hello kevin, that is a terrible situation to be in.. i am sorry for all your troubles with your Brandi...my pointer cut the pads of both front feet and i had to carry him out (he weighed only 80 but there was only 1 me) down three steps and back up..it was difficult.i can so relate to the getting outside problem. Money is no object,not something every dog gets to hear...i am glad she will have help in her recovery and i hope she returns home happy and heathly..scratches and pats to Nikki in the meantime...

Barb04

Super Moderator
Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear all that you're going through with Brandi. Brandi and Nikki are gorgeous by the way. My terrier mix CJ had ACL surgery 2 1/2 years ago. I had to take care of her myself but luckily she is only 50 lbs. I was told that the other leg could go also, but thankfully, it didn't. Nothing you did probably could have prevented the ACL injury. Most of the time, it happens when they jump wrong. I have had CJ on glucosamine/chondroitin since the surgery. Arthritis will develop in the surgery areas, but all I can say is my CJ is doing very well and runs like crazy now. Walking Brandi when she gets back will help her keep the muscles/joints moving. I feel so bad that you, your wife, & Nikki don't have Brandi around right now, but at least you were able to have the vet take care of her while she's recovering. She will probably shower you all with kisses when she gets back home. Brandi is in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Kevin45

Devout animal lover
Thanks for the thoughts. I guess what makes it bad today is that we have to pick Brandi in a little while and take her to the clinic and leave her again. I just hope deep down she understands that what we are doing is for her good. It's tough when you love an animal like that.

Kevin, Brandi's lucky you're able to give her this kind of care. Just go visit her as often as you can. She's probably going to get a bit depressed, and so are all of you left at home to worry about her.

Her weight problem should be well on it's way to being under control when she gets back, too. It will be very important to keep her weight down in the future to keep stress on those repaired ACLs to a minimum. This will be a good time for you to read up on finding a good diet for her that will keep her healthy. Mordy will be able to help you immensely with that!

You've got two lovely, lovely dogs.

Hi Kevin...welcome to Chazhound!!! I'm so sorry for Brandi and you!! Thats a very difficult situation indeed. I agree with Renee. Brande will get the rehab she needs, and you can visit her often. She be back to her old self very soon. :D

bogolove

Hi Kevin. Welcome to the forum, and I am sorry you had to find it under the circumstances, but I am glad you are here. I am so sorry about Brandi. She is so lucky to have someone who cares about her so much and will go to all lengths to help her out. She will get better and the month will fly by in no time. It is good that you still get to visit her and she will be so glad to see you. Jst hang in there and she will be home before you know it. Give her some love from all of us.

Debi

Hi Kevin. We'll all be hoping that Brandi makes a speedy recovery, and be home again in no time. They are both gorgeous!!!!!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for Brandi!! Hope she gets better soon! Love your pics!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
when people had to leave their dogs at the kennels where i worked, i found that dogs are wonderful waiters, and have such faith. They seem to know in their hearts that their people WILL come back and visits helped a great deal. Most dogs do not panic or cry during their time away..they just hunker down and let the time go by. THe wieght will be a great relief for her when it is gone. Mary, my dog has a bad joint in her back hock, and i have to keep her fit and trim so that it doens't hurt her so badly..even 10 lbs missing made an incredible difference in her ability to romp and play. Since i cant let her have as much food as she wants, i do break her meal up and give her some in the morning and evening..with a little broth (very little) to flavor and diet treats that make her happy. They even have flavored water out there which sounds dumb until you find yourself wanting to give your dog a treat without a calorie in it..then it doen'st sound dumb at all..

As far as lower calorie treats go, Mother Hubbard makes a good one called "Couch Potatoes" that my dogs love. They're made with sweet potatoes, among other things, all nutritious and good, natural ingredients. Mine don't need the low cal treats, but they just love the taste of the Couch Potatoes.

Kevin45

Devout animal lover
I'll have to keep the "Couch Potato's" in mind. We did get Brandi over to the surgeon yesterday and I do have to say I walked away very impressed and felt like a weight was lifted off of our shoulders. First off they got a gurney and transported Brandi to a consultation room where we first met with th esurgeons assistant. He had a working model explaining everything about the TPLO and the procedures. We were with him approx. 25 minutes when the surgeon that would be doing the operation came in. We were with him also about a half an hour. Everything was explained, what was expected, of course all cost were explained up front too. LOL!!! What we have to do in 6 weeks, what we have to do in 10 weeks as far as re-Xraying etc. Walks were explained and a dietary plan will be sent with us when we pick her up on Sat. He is glad she is going to the vets kennel so she can get the proper care that she needs. He also insisted on a catheter to be inserted so she will not have to lay in her own urine and end up with bed sores. As far as walking on that leg that is getting operated on today, he said she will be able to walk on it within two to three days. One small incision with a couple of staples on the inside of the leg. No cast or anything. WhooHoo
That makes the wife and I feel much much better. Also he explained the dietary plan somewhat, what is expected of us, AND what she can have for snacks. The assistant stated he has two Goldens and they get raw carrots for snacks and they can have all they want of them. So Brandi will have to aquire a new taste I guess. LOL!! Anyways it is going to be a long wait today for the surgeon to call to let us know how everything goes. And when I find out I'll post it here :p Thanks to all concerned. It does make things easier on this end. And when we pick her up tomorrow, I'll be sure to give her a hug for all of you.

Kevin

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'll be thinking of Brandi while she goes through her surgery today. Max, CJ, Tiny & Bear all want to send kisses and hugs to Brandi for a speedy recovery.

Kevin45

Devout animal lover
Just to let everyone know...Brandi went thru surgery just fine. The surgeon had to double plate her back leg with the TPLO surgery. He stated that she should be on it in 2 to 7 days. We picked her up this morning and took her to the Kennel. They already had a huge pen set up waithing for her with pillows and thick blankets. The vet came right over to instruct the girls as to what to do and how to care for her. For the first week she will not be doing too much at all other than healing. They have a catheter in her hooked to a bag so her bladder will not fill and do some other damage. We have visitation every day so we will be seeing her tomorrow afternoon, then everyday after work. Brandis spirits were up today. She has a stuffed piggy that she carries with her and she had it when she went into surgery. Today when she left the girls said that Brandi made sure she had her stuffed piggy with her before she left the room on the gurney. We had to stop by our house and let Brandi see her sister before she went to the kennel. After about a week we will be allowed to take Nikki with us to see her. But for the first week we are supposed to refrain because of Brandi getting exited. We both feel much better today than we did a few days ago. I wiill keep you all posted on the progress.

Kevin

Sounds like you've got some good surgeons. That's great that they explained everything at such length. Very impressive! Just make sure they understand when they give you the dietary guidelines that you insist on better quality dog food than Science DIEt or Eukanuba/Iams products. Even some of the very best vets are under the very mistaken impression that these are quality foods.

I'm sure Mordy will be very willing to help you with calorie conversions and all sorts of things with Brandi's diet. I just wish vets got adequate training in nutrition instead of the manufacturer sponsored propaganda/advertising seminar they generally end up with. [sigh]

My girls have both gone through injuries that required veterinary care and convalescence, and you - and Brandi - have my wholehearted sympathies! Kharma was hard enough to deal with when she got shot in the foot; she broke her splint twice, once breaking the steel shaft up the back, but Shiva was a nightmare to keep still with all those stitches in her side! :rolleyes:

A belated welcome to you, Kevin. I'm glad to hear Brandi's surgery went so well. We're keeping her in our thoughts over here. It sounds like you really have some top notch vets that really care about her. It's wonderful to know she's in such good hands. Let her know the Chazhound critters are wishing her a speedy recovery!

Barb04

Super Moderator
Kevin, I'm so happy to hear all went well with Brandi's surgery. It sounds like the kennel & vet are very caring people which are not always easy to find these days. Keep us updated. Glad to hear Nikki will be able to visit.

Members online

No members online now.