Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs

Dreeza

Hey guys, my roomie is looking into a greater swiss for her next pup...she's been researching the breed & is really liking everything about them...not to mention that they are ADORABLE!!!

Anyways, we are in SC...know any good breeders in the area?

Anything she should know about the breed?? ANyone on here have one!?

Thanks!!

Bailey08

I went through a real Swissy phase! I don't know much that can't be found online, though. :) There's a forum somewhere that has a Swissy subforum, IIRC.

If she gets one, you must post pictures!

Maxy24

Don't know much about them but I met one once and fell in love lol, such a happy dog. I know Berners have a lot of cancer, not sure about Swissies. I'll look into breeders though. Is she willing to travel at all?

BleuButterfly

Papillon Fancier
I don't know much about them, but they are mighty cute. :) Here are a few links:

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Club of America

I couldn't find a breeder in SC, however there is one in GA.

infodog.com

On infodog you can do a search for dog shows coming up in your area, and meet a Swissy in person if you haven't already.

Keep in mind you don't have to rush into getting a puppy. It took me two years to find my show pup.

Good luck! :D

Dreeza

Don't know much about them but I met one once and fell in love lol, such a happy dog. I know Berners have a lot of cancer, not sure about Swissies. I'll look into breeders though. Is she willing to travel at all?
yeah, she is....but i don't know how far. I'm sure she'd be willing to do a decently long drive for a dog (10 hrs??).

Thanks Bleu! She isn't rushing. She for sure will not get one before May (when she is moving in with her bf)...she just wants a family pet, so I dont think she'll wait 2 yrs, but she will def wait on a litter & what not if everything seems right.

Thanks! She has met one in person & absolutely fell in love

BostonBanker

I went through a big phase with them as well, and was able to meet four locally.

They wound up not being right for me.

The temperament was consistent across the dogs. Quieter and "slower" than the Bernese I know. Very mastiff like (as I think they are supposed to be). More independent than the Bernese. I don't think any of the ones I knew had an aggression issue with dogs or humans, except the one with seizures during the times surrounding the incidents. All were very well socialized and had fairly experienced dog owners.

Of the four I met, three had horrendous health issues. Two died before five (seizures for one, cancer for the other). The healthiest of the bunch was a very small female that was actually imported from Switzerland. Two were from reputable US breeders, one was from a breeder I wouldn't have purchased a goldfish from, much less a dog.

xpaeanx

My aunt used to show them a LONG time ago... I wasn't very old so I dont' remember that much about them.

What I do remember though, is that she kept having to put them down young for health reasons(don't remember what though), so she got out of the breed as it was very upsetting for her.

Now, I don't know where she got the dogs from, I don't know how good the breeder was, and I don't know what the health concerns for the breeds are and if they can be tested for them now.

I know that's not much help... but just something to be aware of when your looking for a breeder.

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Ditto on what BostonBanker said - prior to meeting and researching MANY Berner breeders (and ultimately ending up with Bodi), I too was drawn to the Swissy. I have to say, across the board, Swissies are totally different tempermentally than Berners. I spent over a year meeting several breeders and their Swissies, and they are way more independent, not as trusting as Berners, and they are good protectors, unlike a Berner who will bark at you, but turn right around and kill you with kisses. The Berner seemed to be a better fit for me and my family...and we do love our boy!

BostonBanker

they are good protectors, unlike a Berner who will bark at you, but turn right around and kill you with kisses.
Interestingly enough, I'd go the other way on that trait. The Swissies I've met just didn't really give a crap. As I said, sort of slow, independent dogs. I've known multiple Berners, including my all-time favorite one, who I think would have made a real effort to back up that barking. Very territorial with their property especially. Now, I'm not saying they are the next great PP dogs by any means, but I consider them more protective than Swissies. Not sure how much of this super friendly berner is lots of breeders trying to please the masses and breeding "tri-color golden retrievers" as I saw them being advertised :wall:

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
I have met so many Berners and Swissies over the past three years, and can recall two Male Berners whose temperments could be called questionable. I attend at least one BMD event a month (I belong to my local Chapter). A lot of the events involve Cart Pulling, open to Berners and Swissies. Every time we are at one of these events, it seems that the Swissies seem to be much more protective of their owners, way more reserved when we approach to say hello and they are much more vocal than the Berners. I think the Swissy is a wonderful breed, and I've seen over and over again how different they are from Berners.

I was really thinking about getting GSMD pups when my last dog died, but I did some research and the health issues turned me off. I was then thinking about Labs, but when King and Molly came along, the choice was made, two more mutts. I doubt I will ever get purebred dogs again.

Staff online

Members online