Wolfdog??

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I would never get a wolfdog (wolf hybrid) as I don't believe in owning wolves, or part wolves. Wolfdogs still have very strong wolf instincts and I really don't think they should be bred in the first place - they need a lot of space and social interaction with other dogs, and their actions are less predictable than domestic dogs.

Amstaffer

I don't see any reason to. If you like the look there are several breeds that look like wolves. Wolves (and some wolfdogs) are not Domestic animals and should not be kept as pets in my opinion.

Athe

No, I don't promote this kind of breeding.
Most persons who say they have owned a nice docile Wolf Hybrid probably did not have a wolf Hybrid. To think we have so many wonderful breeds of dogs in this world there is no need of this type of breeding. I think some people are just clueless or are looking for some thing to win the respect of their peers, since they can't do it themselves they try to do it with certain dogs.
One more thing I find amusing; this happens up in Northern Canada a lot; they advertise some husky pup's as having wolf blood in them. People for some reason "think" they will be stronger bigger boned faster etc. Nothing could be further from the truth, a dog sled team would be handicapped with a wolf or wolf cross (if you could get a wolf or wolf cross to get that close to other dogs in the first place). It's a marketing ploy to get people to buy these Husky's and then the person makes money off an unplanned litter, and the new owner "thinks" they have a wolf cross. It's quite funny and happens A LOT. :D

oriondw

user not active
Never,

I dont see a point. There is nothing it can do better then my current dog

My Bimmer was an accident and he and his littermates were abandoned at a farm. He's an exception to most wolf crosses, but I believe it is in large part due to him being mostly German Shepherd. That urge to nurture that comes with a good Shepherd seems to mitigate - and even enhance in some ways - many of the wolfy traits that could be not only undesireable but unstable in another cross. d

He is an accident that ended happily, but by and large the people who breed wolf/dog crosses on purpose are highly suspect and should be shunned.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
A wolf is not a dog

i worked at a place called CAnine Security for one month..one month of seeing dog he!!. Candian timberwolves kept in a pen..fed an inferior diet..kept on dirt and gravel. It was more depressing then words can begin to describe. This is where your wolf dogs start from. IF you think that is the way life should be....then get your self a wolf dog. This man was on the news a few years ago..a special about his "new breed" ..i saw a dog die there in it's own feces.........just remember that. I could write a heck of lot more but i wont. The only reason i stayed as long as i did..was you were to be paid on comission..i was not only in charge of feeding the wolves and cleaning their worm infested pen..i also had a thousand geese to take care of..i left before the month was completely overwith..without pay. I tried to report only to find that this man was "head of the humane society" in this small town..now wasn't that just sweet? no one was allowed down to the pens..and i snooped..that is where i saw things i never want to remember again.

Athe

My Bimmer was an accident and he and his littermates were abandoned at a farm. He's an exception to most wolf crosses, but I believe it is in large part due to him being mostly German Shepherd. That urge to nurture that comes with a good Shepherd seems to mitigate - and even enhance in some ways - many of the wolfy traits that could be not only undesireable but unstable in another cross.
I am just curious, not being rude at all ;) But, how do you know Bimmer was a wolf cross? Wolves will not normally mate with a lone dog, especially when travelling in pack. It could happen only if there just happened to be a lone wolf that met upon a dog in heat. That doesn't happen as often as people say it does. Even if the pups looked wolfy, that does not prove any thing, I know one line of Purebred Shepherds that look more wolfy than dog...they don't have any wolf in them at all, you can trace their blood lines.
I think that is the most famous of all lines a country person gives to people looking for a pup. I hear it all the time, the pups have wolf in them when in reality they have no wolf and the person who had the accidental litter uses this ploy to get rid of the pups. There is nothing more romantic to a person, or build up their self esteem than having a dog they can say has wolf in it. This also is bad publicity for people who "heard" that Wolf/Shepherd crosses are wonderful and actually purchase a real one and find they took on a challenge that is much too much for them. It can also be very dangerous.

I never believe a dog has wolf in it by some one who "tells" me the female got loose and was bred by a wolf. How do they know? do they have pictures, or do they keep the wolf on premises for breeding? I would only believe it if the person can produce DNA test, or show me the male wolf on site.

Athe

smkie, I would go higher up than your local Humane society. Get this place looked at with a surprise visit. I have a few friends who work with the SPCA, they can and will do spot checks on anyone that has been reported. Go higher, even the big people can and will be found and charged with animal cruelity. ;)

bogolove

Athe said:
smkie, I would go higher up than your local Humane society. Get this place looked at with a surprise visit. I have a few friends who work with the SPCA, they can and will do spot checks on anyone that has been reported. Go higher, even the big people can and will be found and charged with animal cruelity. ;)
Good idea.

Amstaffer

Athe said:
I think some people are just clueless or are looking for some thing to win the respect of their peers, since they can't do it themselves they try to do it with certain dogs.
Man this comment is right on the money!! Sad to say but true with a lot of pet owners. I knew a guy (not a friend) who was obsessed with owning an African Lion. He finally bought one some place and it lasted about a year and it died. It was all for some Tough guys status thing. It sad but many people with this outlook on life are poor pet owners. :mad:

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Athe said:
I am just curious, not being rude at all ;) But, how do you know Bimmer was a wolf cross? Wolves will not normally mate with a lone dog, especially when travelling in pack. It could happen only if there just happened to be a lone wolf that met upon a dog in heat. That doesn't happen as often as people say it does. Even if the pups looked wolfy, that does not prove any thing, I know one line of Purebred Shepherds that look more wolfy than dog...they don't have any wolf in them at all, you can trace their blood lines.
I think that is the most famous of all lines a country person gives to people looking for a pup. I hear it all the time, the pups have wolf in them when in reality they have no wolf and the person who had the accidental litter uses this ploy to get rid of the pups. There is nothing more romantic to a person, or build up their self esteem than having a dog they can say has wolf in it. This also is bad publicity for people who "heard" that Wolf/Shepherd crosses are wonderful and actually purchase a real one and find they took on a challenge that is much too much for them. It can also be very dangerous.

I never believe a dog has wolf in it by some one who "tells" me the female got loose and was bred by a wolf. How do they know? do they have pictures, or do they keep the wolf on premises for breeding? I would only believe it if the person can produce DNA test, or show me the male wolf on site.

Bimmer definatly has wolf in him growing up as a mushers daughter i ran into quite a few and have owned wolf hybrids. By my experience i have never questioned wether Bimmer had wolf in him or not.

No I do NOT go for wolf/dog cross breeding. It is dangerouse and stupid they are only good as working dogs and even then they are unpredictable. Most do not make good pets. The only reason they ever came into my life was because my dad is a one track minded old Musher and when you see a wolf hybrid you know it will have more power behind it.

We had a pretty good idea from the beginning, being familiar with the area he's from. The place is rife with two factions: people with expensive German Shepherds and people who are breeding dog/wolf crosses. It became obvious very quickly that someone's dog/wolf cross got someone's expensive German Shepherd 'in trouble.' That's how the pups ended up being abandoned. Someone didn't want it to get out that their expensive dog had a litter of mutts. Pretty sad . . .

In person, the dichotomy of his personality is fairly obvious. He's had lots of wolfy quirks from the day I brought him home. Some of them have intensified as he's gotten more mature. When he got out on the farm it really became apparent, especially seeing him hunt. No dog hunts or kills like that. Especially no German Shepherd. No dog makes the vocalizations he makes. The oversized teeth kind of give him away too, lol! (But Grandma, what big teeth you have . . .) ;)

GSDFan05

We had a GSD/wolf cross (supposed to have been 25% wolf) when I was a kid that was an absolute DREAM of a dog, Kane was truly awesome, he was great with me when I was a baby and did well with cats, small dogs, etc. He was obedient and knew the names of specific toys to retrieve from around the house.

That said, I'd never buy another wolfdog and wouldn't recommend one to anybody else, it is just too much of a risk and with all the great dogs out there, it's unnecessary to play with fire and take a chance in raising a wild animal (even if it's not a 'pure' wild animal, it's still much different from a 'regular' dog.)

bogolove

LOL! He would almost HAVE to be part wolf to keep those 2 big monster girls in line! ;) The German Shepherd in him keeps him sane enough to deal with them, the wolf in him gives him the edge to not take crap from 2 girls who are bigger than him. LOL! I love Bimmer!

GSDFan05

Wow, he is definitely one handsome dog, very regal looking. And that picture of your girls is TOO cute! :)

Members online

No members online now.